My New Years Recommendation
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Greg C

Thread: My New Years Recommendation

Default My New Years Recommendation

Hi fellow Froggers, especially "do it yourselfers".

My New Year's recommendation is to definitely set up Diagbox / Lexia/PP200 on a separate and dedicated old XP laptop rather than using an emulator like Virtual Machine on your normal laptop.

Advertisement

Why?? Because I have finally worked out why my normal everyday laptop suddenly began disconnecting me from the router about every 5 minutes. Seriously it was driving me NUTS.
    It never happened before I installed Virtual machine and diagbox.
    For some reason these programs keep on trying to access the internet, and keep bumping me offline.
    Not only that, and much worse than that, it makes my wireless Lan connection invisible so my dumb windows message keeps saying there are NO connections available.

I have now removed these troublesome programs which kept operating even though I hadn't activated them. I hate that.
    Now they are gone, strangely, my computer behaves itself and is staying connected.

So, I do not recommend installing the above programs on your 'normal' computer.
    Cheers... George 1/8th.

Obviously your are using Microsoft Virtual PC . Well known for issues.

There is an alternative- VM ware, which is rock solid and causes no problem. I can unequivocally tell you this, since I've been using VM ware for 6 years or a bit more on all varieties of Windows. It's a free download

And currently virtualize: Win7, WinXP, WinMe, Linux Mint and DOS 6.22 All operating perfectly and absolutely stable.

Virtual PC is dog of a program.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

The company that produces it is also in the doghouse.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The company that produces it is also in the doghouse.

John
    They were making millions when I last checked and the CEO living the high life. I'd suggest $4.6 billion profit last quarter ain't too bad.

I'd certainly combine "theirs" and "mine" and take half back.

My New Years resolution is to keep driving my car that does not have a port for Lexia etc. No need to hook it up to a Pee Cee, just drive it.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

There is an alternative- VM ware, which is rock solid and causes no problem. I can unequivocally tell you this, since I've been using VM ware for 6 years or a bit more on all varieties of Windows. It's a free download

And currently virtualize: Win7, WinXP, WinMe, Linux Mint and DOS 6.22 All operating perfectly and absolutely stable.

Sorry to burst your bubble Rob, I was using VM ware. I would never use a microsoft virtual anything... it might have been caused by the software I installed into the VM ware environment. Anyway I'm rid of it now and I'm much happier. It was really a pain. I was wanting to watch Inspector Montalbano online using the SBS on demand service, and I had to reboot 3 times in 90 mins just to see an episode. Problem fixed now. I'll never use VM ware again. It's good that you have had no problems with it.
    Cheers

JBN

They were making millions when I last checked and the CEO living the high life. I'd suggest $4.6 billion profit last quarter ain't too bad.

I'd certainly combine "theirs" and "mine" and take half back.
    Sorry, I meant to say very expensive, high class doghouse with no separation from the dog shit.

John

Thread Information