• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By dcc236

Thread: C4 Hdi or 307 Hdi?

Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 Hdi or 307 Hdi?

Tossing up which to buy for my daughter - 2007 C4Hdi or 2003 307Hdi? Similar price & km, any comments on reliability issues/potential things to look out for?

Advertisement

Geoff
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1994 405 SRDT white - (free to a good home, unreg. & needs injector pump re-fitting)
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2007 Citroen C5 Hdi Wagon
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    non-sequitur - 1951 Hudson Pacemaker brush-painted matt black!

Basically identical under the skin. With the C4 you get better styling and the stationary steering wheel centre. Therefore my pick would be the C4
    UFO likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

I'm seeing reports of reliability issues on Google searches with pre-2005 307s so maybe the C4 is the go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1994 405 SRDT white - (free to a good home, unreg. & needs injector pump re-fitting)
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

I believe the C4 depreciates a bit harder than the equivalent Peugeot so it's potentially better value.

Fellow Frogger

2.0HDi auto, 1.6HDi manual or 1.6 HDi EGS? Different animals with different problems.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 Hdi or 307 Hdi?

The 307 is 2003 2.0Hdi manual and the dealer thinks it is not a turbo model but admits he knows nothing about Peugeot...
    The C4 is 2007 1.6Hdi manual

Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Fellow Frogger

The 307 would presumably be the original DW10 engine as used in the first model C5 HDi and I think the 406. The VIN may contain RHZ. Being a manual, you would avoid the AL4 auto lottery.

The C4 has a few potential issues, but with any 1.6HDi the most important will be the condition of the engine and turbo, plus maybe the dual mass flywheel. It needs a good service history with frequent oil changes as it's not tolerant of neglect and is then prone to carbon formation in the sump and hence a failed turbo. There are a few threads about this here. If in doubt, look for another car.

Personally, my pick would be the C4 2.0HDi 6 speed auto. They were usually well specified cars and the drivetrain is the same as the C5 and Picasso and the usual Pug models.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info David S

Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Fellow Frogger!

One last question about the 307, do the manual versions have typical problems eg computer or something?

Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Fellow Frogger!

I've read enough shockers about the 1.6hdi to put me right off it now, so it's a 2.0Hdi or petrol 1.6 car I'm looking for now. Maybe the 307 will be ok after all it's a manual

Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Fellow Frogger!

I was considering the same for my girls but read about too many C4 and 307 problems.

So I opted for a late model Alfa 156 manual. Cheap to buy (i bought two - one for $2,000 and the other for $3,000), good looking and parts are reasonably inexpensive.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    I was considering the same for my girls but read about too many C4 and 307 problems.

So I opted for a late model Alfa 156 manual. Cheap to buy (i bought two - one for $2,000 and the other for $3,000), good looking and parts are reasonably inexpensive.
    You should be able to make one viable one out of two.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

how's it working out for you? I haven't had an Italian car for over 15 years but might look into this.
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

FWIW, the problems with any model will always be public, the well-behaved ones not. I reckon any "modern" 10 years old or more might be prone to something obscure and electrical. How obscure a minor electrical problem appears to be just might depend upon what local backup you have technically - is there a local dealer who knows his stuff?

So it is condition, history and Km for me. I'd have thought you'd get a Citroen cheaper than a near identical Peugeot. A friend's daughter bought a manual 307 second hand and the DMF/clutch assembly lasted just longer than the secondhand warranty, and then cost about $2,000 to fix, but that's hardly unique to PSA cars. I'm with David S re choice.

Cheers

What I really like about these cars is that they are well engineered, safety-wise, for a young driver.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

For my daughter I would look at either a 1.6 petrol manual C4, or a 2.0 HDI C4. If the last has the 6 speed auto, that's ok, but these are later models. It was the early cars that were the electric multiplex pioneers. Avoid old DMFs and 4 speed autos.

Fellow Frogger!

My daughter loves driving manuals (her last car was an Mi16 pug) and I'm trying to stick to a $5k limit on this purchase for a relatively low km car. A 1.6L petrol C4 with manual box looks like something I could afford but I'm not sure which cars had a DMF, just diesels?
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

1000+ Posts

Diesels have the DMF to soak up very large torque shocks. They weren't used on smaller cc/torque petrols.

$5k has few low mileage cars around. Another thousand adds some choice. She won't be able to hurl anything else around like an Mi16 if twisties are her thing.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Diesels have the DMF to soak up very large torque shocks. They weren't used on smaller cc/torque petrols.

$5k has few low mileage cars around. Another thousand adds some choice. She won't be able to hurl anything else around like an Mi16 if twisties are her thing.
    Does that mean the 2LHdi will also have the DMF, e.g. in this 307?: 2005 Peugeot 307 XSE HDi Manual
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Yes, that one will have a DMF. In the hatch, it basically appeared with the 100kW diesel (as opposed to the older 66kW diesel).
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Don't forget that an old one, i.e. around $5K, might have already had the clutch replaced, and just maybe with a non-DMF one. Back to service records and detail, car by car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger

There are also a few 2.0l petrol manual C4s out there. Some examples of the C4 VTS would creep in to the budget. It will have more Mi16 in it than a cooking 1.6l petrol C4. Like the 2.0HDi C4, the VTS was usually well specified and relatively expensive when new.

Rear vision on the coupe is not great and rear ride is a bit harsh, but it remains a capable car for not a lot of outlay. Any decent C4 with a glass roof needs cover for glass failure in the insurance as the cost of replacement is high. There are a few threads discussing the model specifically.

Or Xsara VTS perhaps???

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by electroboy View Post
    how's it working out for you? I haven't had an Italian car for over 15 years but might look into this.
    Beautifully. The 2003 car has been in our possession for a year, all we have had to do to it is f&r brakes for a mere parts price of $300. The 9/2006 car has been with us for a month. The only thing I have had to do to it is an oxygen sensor and a $24 sunvisor bracket. Both had check engine lights and airbag lights on at purchase. Both were easily reset using AlfaOBD. As long as you stick with the traditional three pedal manual, you can't go wrong.

Beautifully. The 2003 car has been in our possession for a year, all we have had to do to it is f&r brakes for a mere parts price of $300. The 9/2006 car has been with us for a month. The only thing I have had to do to it is an oxygen sensor and a $24 sunvisor bracket. Both had check engine lights and airbag lights on at purchase. Both were easily reset using AlfaOBD. As long as you stick with the traditional three pedal manual, you can't go wrong.
    That's great to hear. I drove a newish Alfa a few years ago and really liked it as a drive and the apparent build quality. Old reputations can be very unfair.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the feedback dcc236, I'm having a look at some of the 156 manuals on the market currently - seems the later ones are pretty economical too. My mate who used to sell Alfas new has clued me in with cam belts being a more frequent item than some other brands but apart from that and electric window glitches they sound very reliable. Amazing how little he pays as a trade in ($500-$1000) when he sells a new merc...
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by electroboy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback dcc236, I'm having a look at some of the 156 manuals on the market currently - seems the later ones are pretty economical too. My mate who used to sell Alfas new has clued me in with cam belts being a more frequent item than some other brands but apart from that and electric window glitches they sound very reliable. Amazing how little he pays as a trade in ($500-$1000) when he sells a new merc...
    $500-1,000 for a late model car wholesale sounds right. Both my cars had electrical issues the owners could not solve. So they had difficulties selling their cars. I made them what I thought were silly offers and came away with the cars.

Cam/timing, balance belts, tensioners and idlers on the 2L JTS engine needs to be done every 60,000kms or 4 years. Total cost is around $650 from an indy or up to $1,400 from a dealer. it is also an easy DIY that can be done for $300 in parts. Not much different than early model VW/Audi's. The manual 2.5L V6 is a delight but not a car for a child.

Everything else is dirt cheap. Window regulators fail, in the same way as any other car. However, there are so may cars being wrecked, used parts can be bought for next to nothing. I have bought a wooden steering wheel, airbag module, wooden gear knob and 17 inch wheels with good tyres for the 2003 car for less than $350. After 10 years, you also need to plan on a front-end refresh. Cheapest way to do that is to buy a complete kit with upper, lower control arms with sway bar links. Again, like most euro cars, it is cheaper to do it this way than replace bushes.

AlfaOBD software is a good idea with the right cable set to deal with the so called electrical gremlins. There is also an excellent resource base here in Australia.
    Last edited by dcc236; 3rd January 2016 at 01:35 PM.
    electroboy likes this.

Thread Information