1972 Citroen DS / 5 speed manual .....Gearbox and Differential oil ?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 2 Post By Citroenfan
  • 1 Post By Citroenfan
  • 1 Post By brycedunn

Thread: 1972 Citroen DS / 5 speed manual .....Gearbox and Differential oil ?

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    england
    Posts
    20

    Default 1972 Citroen DS / 5 speed manual .....Gearbox and Differential oil ?

    Ok, I would like to give my DS some fresh gearbox oil, but the 'Brooklands ' manual that i have, is confusing the hell out of me.

    Quote; .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    " The oil recommended by citroen is total ATF 33 and the amount required to fill the unit is 10 and a half pints ( 6 litres )
    Measurement is made by means of a dipstick which is held in the filling tube, on the front right hand side.

    The dipstick for the differential gear oil is also on the right hand side behind the radiator. This is marked mini-max, and the oil specified is SAE 80 EP " .................................................. ........... Unquote.

    Well I cant find a filler tube or a dipstick for the life of me
    And can I not fill both the gearbox and the diff, from the same place.... with the same oil ?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! badabec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ongar / England
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Hello, you'll find two drain plugs. One for the 5th gear housing and one for the main gearbox. You need to drain both. There is a level plug on the side of the gearbox. You can refill it through there or through the filler plug on top of the gearbox. I gained access by undoing the radiator shroud and pulling it forwards, then filled till it came out of the level hole. It will fill both the main and 5th speed housing.
    I used EP75-90 as that was on the shelf. The first lot that came out was very much like oxtail soup. I refilled and re-drained after 2-300 miles and then added an additive as well.
    Whilst the drain plugs were out I fitted each one with a magnet to catch any (magnetic) swarf.
    The new oil certainly made a difference.
    You'll need a decent sized oil collection pan, not for the volume, just that you'll have two holes dripping at once, although one, of course, will be down your arm.

    Peter
    Last edited by badabec; 31st December 2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Symar/ca/usa
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinmlane View Post
    Ok, I would like to give my DS some fresh gearbox oil, but the 'Brooklands ' manual that i have, is confusing the hell out of me.

    Quote; .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    " The oil recommended by citroen is total ATF 33 and the amount required to fill the unit is 10 and a half pints ( 6 litres )
    Measurement is made by means of a dipstick which is held in the filling tube, on the front right hand side.

    The dipstick for the differential gear oil is also on the right hand side behind the radiator. This is marked mini-max, and the oil specified is SAE 80 EP " .................................................. ........... Unquote.

    Well I cant find a filler tube or a dipstick for the life of me
    And can I not fill both the gearbox and the diff, from the same place.... with the same oil ?

    Any help greatly appreciated.
    The 'Brooklands" manual info you are reading is for the B/W 3 speed automatic unit - not a 4/5speed manual tranny What you need is a high quality 80/90wt GL5 manual gearbox lub. The 5 speed boxes need 2.25 liters to fill. You check level by removing the side mounted nut - fill to the point where gear lub just starts to come out of the opening.

    While I am not at all a fan of 'additives' I will just mentioned that some on this list have recommended the use in the manual boxes of Nulon G70 manual gear box and diff treatment - and these are owners whose opinions I do respect

    Steve
    Roger Wilkinson and denxm like this.

  4. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    england
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Excellent, so no diff oil and no dipsticks.... except me
    Thank you badabec and thank you citroenfan.. most helpful

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! brycedunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    What you need is a high quality 80/90wt GL5 manual gearbox lub.

    I would just add that GL4 would be a better choice than GL5. GL5 lubricants are for modern cars and can attack brass components in older transmissions.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Symar/ca/usa
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brycedunn View Post
    I would just add that GL4 would be a better choice than GL5. GL5 lubricants are for modern cars and can attack brass components in older transmissions.
    Sorry about the mistype - I did mean GL-4. However I would still recommend the addition of the Nulon G70 additive. Have been using it for some time now - about 80,000 + miles on my 72 BVH and the tranny shifts fast and smoooothly. No problems downshifting - even into 1st gear at speeds I should not have

    Steve
    UFO likes this.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! brycedunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Sorry about the mistype - I did mean GL-4. However I would still recommend the addition of the Nulon G70 additive. Have been using it for some time now - about 80,000 + miles on my 72 BVH and the tranny shifts fast and smoooothly. No problems downshifting - even into 1st gear at speeds I should not have

    Steve
    I also find the nulon additive to be good. I think quite a few people on this forum use it.

    Bryce
    UFO likes this.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •