Brainstrust Help please...C5...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brainstrust Help please...C5...

Hi Froggers,

Advertisement

I really need some info that seems to be impossible to get... A ZF 4HP20 from a Xantia V6 has the same model number, the same switching, the same solenoids and wiring as the type that is supplied in a C5 V6 ...so.. swapping a cooked one out for an ex Xantia V6 should be ok... in theory.
    Now getting loads of gear code faults that seem to be sensor related..and gear speed report errors..
    Is there any basic non compatibility issues here, or do we just have a couple of faulty speed sensors in the gearbox?
    It's also suddenly reporting a gearbox ECU fault.
    Any useful suggestions would be handy right now... Cheers..George 1/8th.

Fellow Frogger

Which converter did you fit? They are not the same item and the C5's engine is more powerful than the Xantia.
    Maybe, look up the various part numbers for each VIN and see if there are any differences listed?
    The ECU is not VIN-coded, so you could try the supposedly suspect one in your car or vice versa if you've not found a spare from a wreck.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi George 1/8th
    Sounds very much like a non compatibility issue here. Without stating the obvious, final gear ratios maybe.
    My understanding is the Xantia has lower ratios but I may be wrong. A conversation with a Lexia would be the way to go. Good luck and happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Which converter did you fit? They are not the same item and the C5's engine is more powerful than the Xantia.
    Maybe, look up the various part numbers for each VIN and see if there are any differences listed?
    The ECU is not VIN-coded, so you could try the supposedly suspect one in your car or vice versa if you've not found a spare from a wreck.
    Thanks David, will try that. Right now I'm thinking the sensor might just have failed or could have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Hi George 1/8th
    Sounds very much like a non compatibility issue here. Without stating the obvious, final gear ratios maybe.
    My understanding is the Xantia has lower ratios but I may be wrong. A conversation with a Lexia would be the way to go. Good luck and happy new year.
    Thanks Tony, and Happy new year to you also. The Lexia is just throwing up all these faults which might or might not be related. I'm thinking it's a faulty sensor or wiring at this stage.. Cheers..

Fellow Frogger!

You may be right George. Experience has taught me to never discount the sensors. An AL4 with faulty speed output sensor will give all sorts of gear change problems like you wouldn't believe and without any consistency. So I guess a 4HP20 would behave in much the same manner. Cheers.

Here's a bit more detail. When we picked up the car , it all worked ok at first, except on the way home, as soon as I went fast enough to get into top gear it never went into top..it kind of went into neutral... then went into limp mode. We got it home... but cooked it just getting it home. So, sourced a replacement ZF 4HP20... but was ex Xantia. Same unit, a couple of minor differences. I suggested we swap over the wiring and sensors from the cooked unit to the replacement one before fitting the box, so that the electricals would be original to the car. Ricardo might have damaged a wire or something, but I don't think he did. He did say one of the sensors looked different but still fitted.
    When he returns from his break we will remove and replace the wiring to it's original set up and try that...

Ouch. Good luck with it George.

You have a higher frustration tolerance quotient than I can manage.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Hi George,
    Noting that you have just got your lexia could I suggest that you ignore the faults for the moment and look at the real time outputs from the sensors. I cannot tell you how to find that information but the answer may be revealed there. Others may suggest how to navigate to there. The tool is supposed to have the standard values programed so it can compare the outputs for faults.
    Good luck.
    Jaahn

Thread Information