• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Greg

Thread: Citroen Peugeot Diagbox etc.

Default Citroen Peugeot Diagbox etc.

Hi Froggie forum users,
    it's taken me a little while to figure this thing out. I think I'm getting a handle on this now. So here goes. The Lexia Diagbox is the software program which has all of the scan programs so you can check, test and discover what's up with your car. All makes sense really. The program will run best on windows XP because that was the 'state of the art' platform at the time the program was written.

Advertisement

You can use an old laptop which still has XP on it, or you can use a virtual copy running on windows 7 or even later if you wish, if you download and install a thing called 'Virtual machine' which is pretty funky and free as well.
    You have to order your Lexia from ebay, they don't sell these things in any 'speed' or auto parts store that I know of. They come from China, the kit includes the OBD cable ( Onboard Diagnostics ) ,some vga cables ( 1 long and 1 short) and a DVD of software.
    This system has evolved over time so the updates have been periodic, so there is a bunch of them.
    The kit DVD therefore has about 5.5 GB of compressed data files on it, and the Interconnecting cable is in two parts.
    THERE IS NO BOOKLET OF INSTRUCTIONS.
    This is the computer age after all. The disc has a perplexing number of files thrown in. It has everything you need, but you have no idea what to do first.
    To get started you need a modern computer with an up to date media player so you can watch the installation video. There are a couple of them, but one is in English so you can work out what's happening. If you run one of the videos and it's in Chinese, look for the other one.
    The video is sped up so you have to pause it occasionally to workout what they're doing and why. I actually took notes so I could do an install without running the video.
    If you open the contents of the dvd there is a file called 'setup 1'. So you run this first obviously. This installs a program called "Alcohol 51%", which gives you an installation window. XP has to reboot to set it up. Now you run this program, go back to the dvd contents, and 'copy and paste' the file called setup 2...which has an extension your computer will not recognise. Just paste it into the loaders window, then right click on it. The option which pops up says " mount on device" which you then do. Then close the window.
    You will see the DIAGBOX installation begin. When it finishes loading and installing you are asked to look for internet updates, select NO. Then it asks you for a password ... which you will see in the installation video, so use that.
    Then you close the program down.
    Then open up the folder 'setup 3'. This has a whole bunch of updates and other stuff thrown in. You have to install three updates consecutively without restarting the computer. The first one is UPDATE V7.02 to V7.57. Open this, then change your view to "list" so you see a list of the contents of the folder you are in. Now you select the update called "V7.XX to V7.44". Double click on it so it starts, it then asks you for the language, select the language you want, then click next. Agree to the terms etc, then put in that password shown in the video. Then click install. When it's finished it asks you to restart the computer, select do not restart, click on finish. Now you go back to the list and do the same with V7.44 to V7.49 and install that. Again select the language, and put in the installation password. Do not reboot, so when this is finished,select Do not restart.
    Go to the list again, now select V7.49 to V7.57. and install this one. Again select the language, agree, and put in the password. When finished, again do not restart.
    Now close the update list box. You will see the ikon for Diagbox on the XP desktop, open it so it starts. At this point it takes some time to install the three updates , so go make a cup of real coffee and let it run. It will say it's installing updates..
    Now Diagbox should be installed.
    Now you can plug it into the car, but before you do, plug the connection device cable into the computer. When you do the USB drivers on your computer will detect and set up the necessary USB drivers for the connector.
    Now there is one more thing to do. Go back to the contents of the DVD and run the program called PSA Interface checker install. This sets up the connector so it will work on the car.
    It should now all work.
    Good luck. Now to get familiar with this very antiquated looking program.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 22nd December 2015 at 08:00 AM.
    denxm likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

All that goes mostly over my head. but I like the Setup, Video, Alcohol 51% and Mount on device bits with coffee afterwards. Cheers

Thanks Tony, and that was a BRIEF description...

The entire process was worth it because NOW... Ricardo's C5 has a working Automatic transmission etc...

Cheers...
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 22nd December 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Tadpole

I purchased the box of tricks from China and have not been able to get it to engage in dialogue with my 96 Xantia Diesel (big brown socket on the fuse panel). Have done the Diagbox install OK and the PSA Interface checker seems to do as it should - it tells me its a B version.

Should one be able to hear the relays click when one selects different vehicles?

Unfortunately I don't have any other Cits or Pugs to try it on - am in the Canberra area.

1000+ Posts

Does a 96 Xantia diesel even have an actual OBD standard port? It wasn't an EU compulsory fitting then.

You can get an adapter cable for the 30 pin socket that the Xantia 1 and XM used. I use one on my Series 1 RFV engined wagon. The series 2 socket was OBD shaped but the connections didn't follow the OBD standard anyway. I have found the big connector is difficult to fit and sometimes the pins don't connect properly always. I think I managed to bend some of the springy bits inside to get a better connection. You just have to keep trying.

Diagbox will even work on a BX as well using a two lead cable.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    You can get an adapter cable for the 30 pin socket that the Xantia 1 and XM used. I use one on my Series 1 RFV engined wagon. The series 2 socket was OBD shaped but the connections didn't follow the OBD standard anyway. I have found the big connector is difficult to fit and sometimes the pins don't connect properly always. I think I managed to bend some of the springy bits inside to get a better connection. You just have to keep trying.

Diagbox will even work on a BX as well using a two lead cable.

Cheers, Ken
    My 605 also uses the older style plug, but I have never managed to get a connection to any of the on-board computers. By contrast, I have successfully connected (using ODB plug) to a late series I Xantia, Series II Xantia, 406 and a 307 - ie nothing wrong with my Lexia/Diagbox setup. Think I remember addo saying that the Chinese 30-pin plugs were badly made and hard to get a connection.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Thanks Tony, and that was a BRIEF description...

The entire process was worth it because NOW... Ricardo's C5 has a working Automatic transmission etc...

Cheers...
    How much information does it give you on the automatic transmission - for example, would it show a malfunctioning valve body?

Hi Guys,

Firstly, Diagbox now runs fine on Windows 7!

My experience with diagbox, is that it's not always that simple, even with the purchase. Some work and MOST don't.......

There is another problem that the later the updates, the less you can do on some cars, some adjustments are omitted.

There is also a problem that some update are in French, and change you English Diagbox to French, and that's a very interesting adventure?

Diagbox is really just another tool in your toolbox, because for as much good information it tells you, it will tell you more that is incorrect.

An interesting example is where the local Auto Electrician asked me to help with a C3 problem. It would idle but not accelerate.

I ran diagbox, and it said the problem was no coherence between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body.

After days of searching, the problem was that the car had overheated, and had caused the Electronic Thermostat to force coolant under pressure through the wiring harness and deposit it in the engine BSI. The coolant was shorting out all sort of communications, and was only resolved by replacing the electronic thermostat housing assembly.

Diagbox can also give you a list of faults, and only one is really the problem, and that fault is causing all the other faults, and its only a knowledgeable mechanic (technician) that can decipher which is the fault to chase.

And there is more.........Then you have Phantom Faults. Elaborate faults that appear to be a major problem, despite the fact that everything is working perfectly, and again it only someone with a lot of exposure to Diagbox that know what is to be ignored.

So if you think that Diagbox will cure all your problems, your going to be pretty disappointed.

We have 5 registered late Citroens, and only our Berlingo has Zero faults.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

Also watch out for cracked coolant sensors (in the brass case) on that era of 1.6 and 2.0 engine in C3 and C4 as they trend to leak coolant into the engine harness. They can give you faults that suggest overheating when it maybe isn't and also damage connected parts. Those piloted thermostats were a bit sus and can be replaced with a regular/manual type, but there will be several extra bits suggested if you follow the factory instructions explicitly.

Hi David,

This is a bit off topic, but I was told about the temp sensors at the time by Denton & Spiro, and at first I couldn't comprehend the coolant being pumped through the wires, and when I pulled off the temp sensor plug, there was no coolant.

It wasn't until the coolant kept on reappearing in the BSI, that I downloaded the wiring diagram for that particular car, and found there was a second cable going to the engine near the thermo housing. The connection was under the radiator hose connection, and wasn't readily visible unless you knew what to look for and where it was placed.

When I undid the connection it was full of coolant.

What made it more difficult was that it was some one else who had replaced the plastic box at the end of the head, that had cracked, and hadn't bled the coolant properly causing the car to over heat.

Spiro said he had never seen a C3 with the electronic thermostat, only on C4's, and Denton had never seen any cars with the electronic thermostat. So they were a big help (ROFLOL)

It was a very stressful adventure, as the car was given back several times thinking that we'd solve the problem, but we hadn't. I also felt I couldn't charge the customer for all the time I had spent on the car.

If I hadn't seen that the coolant could be pumped through the cable like it did, I wouldn't have believed it! Waterproof connectors play a good role in keeping the connection dry externally, but also hold the moisture in if its coming from an internal source.

The other problem was also that it was Red coolant, which is not comparable with copper (wires), so the owner may have addition problems with a corroded engine harness in the future?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

I knew the piloted thermostat was fitted to 1.6 C4, but it was evidently an idea they wanted to apply and had a few tries at because it was deleted and reinstated more than once. It's likely to have crept into a few C3s.

This is on topic in the sense that people fall into the trap of thinking the diagnostic computer knows all and if there is no fault code, then there can't be a problem. Experience will tell you what the phantoms are likely to be, but no fault code is going to explicitly tell you the coolant temp sensor or piloted thermostat has sent coolant to the slave/BSI! On 2.2HDi 4 speed C5 (4HX to be specific) you can get a Christmas tree display and multiple faults, none od which will point you to a common fault where fuel wicks through the engine harness to the slave, ECU and all other connected items. So, the lesson from your example (and the 2.2 HDi issue) is that it's a helpful tool but not idiot-proof!
    Greg likes this.

Hi David,

The engine in question in the C3 was a 1.4 lt......

I see often on this forum, critisism of the high charges made by some mechanics / dealers, but in reality, if they operate fairly, which I think the majority do, fixing problems on late model cars can be a win or loose situation.

I've found it's not fixing the problem that's a big issue, it's finding what the problem is, and Diagbox is excellent in deleting the fault, but not aways your best asset in finding it.

As with any motor car, it's the knowledge the mechanic has, that's most in need.

best regards,

Greg
    jaahn likes this.
    We Have:
    We Had:

Thread Information