GS query
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GS query

1000+ Posts

Default GS query

g'day g'day

Ok this might be a stupid question but, how hard would it be to convert a GS into a ute?

I'm thinking a GS ute would be a mighty cool thing to have. Just wondering how much realistically would be involved.

BTW, has anyone attempted this kind of thing before? Dennis at French Car Care converted an R12 into a ute years ago and not only does it look great, it's a very useful work car for their business too.

Advertisement

Anyway... a GS could be a good candidate I think. Maybe it's one way of breathing new life into these "forgotten" Citroens.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    g'day g'day

Ok this might be a stupid question but, how hard would it be to convert a GS into a ute?

I'm thinking a GS ute would be a mighty cool thing to have. Just wondering how much realistically would be involved.

BTW, has anyone attempted this kind of thing before? Dennis at French Car Care converted an R12 into a ute years ago and not only does it look great, it's a very useful work car for their business too.

Anyway... a GS could be a good candidate I think. Maybe it's one way of breathing new life into these "forgotten" Citroens.

Thanks...
    Hi Graham, the idea sounds good ...but you would have to have a workshop at your disposal and heaps of time to do this. Also, how would you modify the roof, the rear panel, the rear window etc etc. I think it involves a bit more than just cutting the back end of the car down and fitting one of those aluminium trays on it. You would also have to know if Citroen ever made one like this, and see how it was done.
    If I were you I'd buy a tow bar and a trailer...just a bit less mucking around...a lot cheaper...only less appealing.
    Cheers...George.

Further to the trailer idea, & one I have thought a few times, would be to build your own trailer using a GS rear trailling arm assembly complete with hydraulics, braking & height corrector included.

You'd need a "tap" for the hydraulics (a susp & a brake) at the wiring point next to the tow bar, along with a return line.

Connecting & disconnecting could prove tricky without good valves as I don't see how you would stop air entering each time.
    Also the GS pump might not cope with the extra load & cause completely different handling on the car & safety issues...

Another way might be to have the trailer completely separate & self contained, runnning from an electric pump or a pump off the axel, but then you need an accumulator & sphere & have no brakes on it.

Chop the back out of a station wagon & fill in the front. Easy water tight trailer too.

Thread Information