It's out...finally.
  • Register
  • Help

Default It's out...finally.

Hi Froggies, I managed to remove the steering rack finally. It wasn't easy though. It would be helpful if the Haynes manual didn't just gloss over the steps necessary to do the job.
    It says things like "detach the guard plate" without even a drawing of how it's clipped in place, or any clue as to how to undo it.
    I finally worked it out though. The clips are attached to a bolt, so it's fairly easy to just slide them aside till the plate becomes free, then to move the plate out of the way. Unfortunately, one of the clips flew off somewhere, so I'll have to find it in the daylight.
    To actually get the rack out was another challenge. In true Citroen style, there's hardly enough room to shift the rack once all the screws are undone. You have to pull it forward out of the metal frame it was bolted to, and then turn it upwards 90 degrees, so the steering pinion will clear the brake components , then carefully extract it on the cars right hand side.
    You could possibly remove it out the other side, however you would have to disconnect the gear shaft to be able to move it past the gear linkage.

Now for the fun bit, to clean,dismantle and re-build the rack.

Advertisement

BTW...both the front brake hoses are cracked, each side. I'll have to get new ones from some citroen dealer I guess.
    Cheers...George 1/8th.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 27th March 2004 at 01:36 PM.

1000+ Posts

onya George - fun isn't it. Gotta love those Haynes manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    onya George - fun isn't it. Gotta love those Haynes manuals.
    Hi Graham, well all the info is there but sometimes an extra photo or illustration might help.
    I've seen other brands of manuals that are a little more user friendly, but at least the Haynes has the basic info I guess.

I better get on with this, the next stage is to clean, dismantle and rebuild the rack.
    I am hoping that the refitting of the rack will be easier than getting it out. However, nothing is ever straightforward, is it.
    Cheers...George.

Thread Information