• 1 Post By lhs2.1
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By Jinandfonic
  • 1 Post By lhs2.1
  • 2 Post By lhs2.1

Thread: DS cabriolet part-scale build

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS cabriolet part-scale build

A while ago I was enthused to build a go-kart/buggy for the grand-kids to hoon about in the back paddock.
    Somehow the project took on a life of itís own.
    After a series of iterations (incuding electric power), I decided to build a part-scale Citroen DS decap. I will never afford to buy a real DS decap at the looney prices they now bring, but, hey, why not build a part-scale replica. So here is a trip down fabrication lane.
    The first activity was to scope out the design parameters.
    ∑ front wheel drive, zero point steering, trailing arm rear suspension
    ∑ about half size
    ∑ hydraulic suspension
    ∑ steel tube space frame chassis, fiberglass composite body

I started work on the drawing board and it became obvious that the first thing to be nailed down was the wheel size. After a lot of investigation I settled on 10Ē Vespa scooter rims, and the tyre size dictated that the overall scale would be six tenths full size. So the design proceeded on that basis.

I started collecting all of the needed parts.
    The new engine and gearbox came from EBay and is a bit of an unknown. Itís Chinese and supposed to be a 125cc four-stroke with a 3 speed and reverse gearbox and centrifugal clutch Ė we will see.
    The driveshafts and a beautiful little limited slip diff were sourced from a Honda ATV.
    As mentioned earlier, the wheel rims are 10Ē Vespa scooter rims and I had the centres spun from aluminium and heat treated.
    The small hydraulic spheres are from Parker Hydraulics, and the hydraulic cylinders are ex-aircraft trim actuators.
    The pedal assembly is ex-Citroen GS, brake and accelerator.
    The steering rack is from Deserts Karts in the US, and the brake caliper and master cylinder are from Wilwood. The brakes will be un-powered as I was not confident to be able to convert the Wilwood caliper to LHM.
    Lots of other bits and pieces, too many to list.
    The seat and steering wheel are stock go kart products.
    The project stalled while I was busy on other things, but working on the SM finally pissed me off and I decided to spend some time on this project.

Advertisement

I had fabricated a chassis table using the jig I made many years ago for the GS/2CV together with two cheap engine cranes Ė this can turn the chassis almost 360 degrees for welding.
    The chassis is fabricated (mostly) from 20mm square steel tubing, gas welded with nickel-bronze rods. Before anyone decries the use of nickel Ėbronze welding, this is how most of the Ď60s and Ď70s British race car frames were welded. Nickel-bronze has a tensile strength approaching that of mild steel and the lower temperatures involved mean less welding distortion. The technique has been largely supplanted by MIG and TIG welding. The part-completed chassis is shown in the images Ė much triangulation still to be done.
    To be continued.
    DS cabriolet part-scale build-dsproject_1.jpg
    DS cabriolet part-scale build-atvengine_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-honaatvdiff_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-hondaatvdriveshaft_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-sphere-cylinder_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-decapwheel_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-decapchassis_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-decapchassis_2.jpg

Wow

I love your drawing! Very very cool! I bet it will be faster that original ID!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Amazing, keep going!
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

OMG, Roger, that is going to be sweet. Got a color scheme picked out?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

This man is a sensation.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

Can you build two? The want is strong.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Fellow Frogger!

Many thanks for the supportive posts. The next installment may be a while as I need to spend some time on other projects.
    roger

Fellow Frogger!

Some progress to date - the engine/transmission and the diff carrier assembly are in place. The aluminium channel sections will carry the front suspension arms and it is a nod to the cast aluminium parts of the real DS.
    To be continued.
    DS cabriolet part-scale build-engineinstall_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-engineinstall_2.jpg
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Some progress to date - the engine/transmission and the diff carrier assembly are in place. The aluminium channel sections will carry the front suspension arms and it is a nod to the cast aluminium parts of the real DS.
    To be continued.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engineinstall_1.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	77349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engineinstall_2.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	77350
    Anorak mode ON

Remember that the engine block needs to be green.

/anorak mode OFF

I'm kidding, of course. That looks like one hell of a structure. From what I'm guessing, you've designed this to carry you, or any other similar full-grown man?
    shanadoo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

After a watching a poor soul nearly fall out of her mobility scooter after hitting bump yesterday, I think you have found the future phase of the hydraulic Cit
    pug206gti likes this.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger!

Moving away from the chassis development for a while, I had been giving thought to the suspension hydraulic system.
    I found that there was no practical way of driving the hydraulic pump from the engine so I decided that the pump would have to be electrically driven.
    I had a 12v 3inch diameter electric motor which had been the driver for a vehicle tail-gate hydraulic system, and I had previously sourced a couple of NOS Parker DO5 gear pumps. A few hours on the lathe and mill produced a 10mm adapter plate to marry the two together, but I don’t have much information on the characteristics of the motor so a lot of experimentation is in order.
    To be continued.

DS cabriolet part-scale build-pumpdrive_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-pumpdrive_2.jpg
    Goddess fan likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I finished the final drive assembly for this project today. Consists of the differential, drive sprocket, brake adaptor ring/cover, and brake disk. The differential is a plate type limited slip item from a small Honda ATV.
    roger

DS cabriolet part-scale build-finaldrive_3.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-finaldrive_1.jpgDS cabriolet part-scale build-finaldrive_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Can you build two? The want is strong.
    G'day,
    may need to be more than two.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    may need to be more than two.
    Roger, I think you just found your life's avocation. Word of this gets out amongst the serious collectors, and you are going to create a sensation.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the messages of support.
    I think it is unlikely that this build will be repeated - history is littered with unsuccessful auto start-ups.
    roger

Thread Information