• Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default should I buy this xsara vts

Hello all, my exposure to citroens is in my dad's xantia and a diesel xsara on holidays in Scotlnd. Noticed Mornington Mazda have 2000 xsara VTS for $15000. Do you think trading in my 2001 mazda 323 astina 1.6 makes much sense. thank you

Advertisement

Christos Konospiris

Quote Originally Posted by p3wolf
    Hello all, my exposure to citroens is in my dad's xantia and a diesel xsara on holidays in Scotlnd. Noticed Mornington Mazda have 2000 xsara VTS for $15000. Do you think trading in my 2001 mazda 323 astina 1.6 makes much sense. thank you

Christos Konospiris
    The Xsara VTS is a very different car to a diesel Xsara. Why dont you take it for a test drive and decide if you like it. I'm sure it would be a very exciting and involving car to drive.
    Good luck with it,

Dave

The VTS is a very sweet car and is exceptional value second hand.

It is very much a hot hatch though, it's putting out a LOT more power and torque than a 1.6 Mazda.

Just be aware that as a performance car, it requires a lot more maintenance than a 1.6 Mazda, too. But the grin on your face will be so worth it!

Welcome to

XTC

Hello all, my exposure to citroens is in my dad's xantia and a diesel xsara on holidays in Scotlnd. Noticed Mornington Mazda have 2000 xsara VTS for $15000. Do you think trading in my 2001 mazda 323 astina 1.6 makes much sense. thank you Christos Konospiris
    Price is fantasitic .. if it's in good nic. IF you like to DRIVE then this is the best Cit for you, but expect your mates to be looking at you strange ... the VTS is a bit of a sleeper (doesn't look THAT fast).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Price is fantasitic .. if it's in good nic. IF you like to DRIVE then this is the best Cit for you, but expect your mates to be looking at you strange ... the VTS is a bit of a sleeper (doesn't look THAT fast).

- XTC206 -
    I'd say that's probably a good thing, you don't to attract to much untoward attention.

The price does sound good. They are a great car to drive, good comfort and the motor is sweet. I would check into the car's service history to make sure it has been serviced at the proper intervals.

Troy.

Drive it and if you like it buy it.......

Is it a VTS or VTR?

It sounds too cheap for a VTS (124kw $31,000 new).....I wasn't aware these could be had for less than low 20s yet.......I don't think I've seen VTRs for that either......

$15,000 gets a decent early 1.8lt

Actually 2000 model would most like be series 1 car, and the VTS was only sold in Australia from Series 2 onwards. Series 2 cars were firsts released in Europe around September 2000, and I think the first arrived here is December of the same year.

I wonder if it is this car, a series 1 2L 5 door.

Xsara

It doesn't go as hard as a VTS and the suspension setup is softer, but the series 1 2L is a nice car nonetheless. If the car is in good nick then I would think it is worth it.

Troy.

$15k for a VTS? They are dreeamin'! I have been looking for one & the cheapest I have found is $22k in SA. I think it is that series 1, 2L 4dr that TroyO put a link for. At that price it probably has aorund 60-80,000km I'd say. Offer em' $13k, there is a glut on the market ATM.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

UFO

I was thinking that there were no VTSs in Aus that early and yes the price is too low.

Mind you a 4 door 2l would still be a good car.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Think I got the VTS part wrong as looking at pic again the car is a five door so does seem to be series 1. Saw it on www.autotrader.com.au.

jmn

Actually, the 2.0 litre Xsara hatch in manual is so good I don't know why anyone would take the auto. Moves off easily in 2nd. on the flat, then straight into 4th. without the slightest sign of labouring. Uses around 6.7 lt/100 k on a trip and a tad less than 9 around town, five door practicality, terrific performance, what else can one want? It reminded me of the 1971 Alfa Giulia Super that we owned for almost 16 years; another giant killer that shocked the local V8 boys at the time. How could anything so ugly go so fast for so long!

I had to trade my Xsara, the missus just isn't interested in left-foor work these days so it went in on a 1.6 l Xsara auto. Big mistake: while I didn't expect anywhere near similar performance, the auto on this car is just plain perverse. It changes down when not wanted but refuses to kick down without mashing the foot to the floor. The sport mode is a pain; it just keeps hanging on to the lower gears which becomes tiring very quickly. It has had a new transmission download so I'm not optimistic.

I don't know why Peugeot/Citroen can't just make a "plain vanilla" automatic without all this interventionist auto adaptive jiggery-pokery.

Should add that, in the main, I am very happy with my C5 auto.

jmn

It reminded me of the 1971 Alfa Giulia Super that we owned for almost 16 years; another giant killer that shocked the local V8 boys at the time. How could anything so ugly go so fast for so long!
    Ugly? The Giulas looked (and still are) hot!

VTS all the way! If i had a spare 15 g's id be down there already!

jmn

Beret,

That wasn't the message I wanted to convey.

To me, it's "handsome is as handsome does" but for some, well.... It took a demonstration of the Giulia's abilities, then the look on there faces said it all!

It really was a cockroach in the sense that it couldn't be killed. A truly great car in the sense that its primary safety (handling and braking) was so far ahead of the local cars of the time.

A co-incidence that the bore and stroke (78 X 82) mm. is almost exactly the same as the current 1.6 Xsara, differing only by .5 mm.

jmn

Tadpole

Default You betcha

Christos Konospiris
    I'm currently the owner of a 2002 model VTS in funky Icelandic green. It is without a doubt the most satisfying car i've ever had/driven. That includes a handful of pugs/cits and a couple of Oz muscle cars. It ain't just about the power of the thing though. It's the lines, feel, responsiveness etc. Being a bulky 6 footer, I just couldn't get comfy in the newer small Pugs. I took the 307 for a test drive and I felt like an old man(albeit a comfortable one). It's dull!!!. Wish I had the bread for a C5, but for the next many years i'll be chewing k's in my VTS, and happy with it!.

My on the comfort issue:
    I own a 2k2 Xsara with 41800 on the clock...
    Covered 400kms the first day I got it!
    That's how comfy these things are...been anywhere and everywhere with the little thing and it never ceases to amaze me how comfy it is...
    Easy to drive too AND great for attacking corners that seem to spring up from nowhere

Thread Information