DS 21 for $2k in SA
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS 21 for $2k in SA

On Carsales. Only three photos, but doesn't look too bad for the price.

Advertisement

Anyway, thought I just alert anyone who is in the market.

Sven

Update to sales sight 7.30 pm Friday

Change in car description and price. Vehicle has now been inspected by a citroen expert and the following faults discovered {not known by myself at the time of original advert being posted} roof rail completely rusted and evidence of rust repair in top lip of the boot rail, both expensive to repair .His advise being that a more appropriate description being as a vehicle requiring body restoration .Hence car is now offered as is or for parts in the price range of $1500-2000.

Wilrex
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

Fellow Frogger

1971 Citroen DS-21 Manual
    4 speed*, non-Pallas kit. Looks rather Special?
    Doesn't look like you'd go terribly wrong at the asking price if it can move under its own power.
    You can pay a lot more and end up with just the same amount of work or perhaps a lot more.

*Reynolds notes the 5 speed became standard on manual 21 and 21IE from Sept 1970.

Tadpole

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Ummm Can someone lend me 2 grand - I can do sheetmetal work and weld. Perfect project

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Bugger - it is sold

Hopefully to a bright new future and not for parts only....will depend on closer inspection of the chassis I suppose. The owner John was a very pleasant and open person to talk to.

Tim

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

They all deserve saving and the underpinnings are mostly made up of flat panels - some with strengthening grooves. Very easy to reproduce.

Fellow Frogger

I wonder if the buyer was buying a DS21 or a late ID19B???

The roof rail isn't a simple flat sheet that's been bent and it has to be just right or you run into big problems fitting the roof and trim strips. That's an unhappy situation to be in when it's all painted and covered in lashings of sticky sealant ...

Tadpole

I was looking into this one, I'm not sure if you saw the photos before the gumtree ad was taken down, but the plate in the engine was ID19 series B.

I was super keen, but once I saw the level of damage, I decided it was a bit far out of my comfort zone

Fellow Frogger

Yes, thanks for posting the link. I did see the Gumtree pictures and it was clearly a 1970/71 ID19B that would have been badged D Special when new. I just wondered if the buyer inspected it and knew what was being sold. It could have had 21 liners and pistons, but maybe not. I forget if it had a Solex or Weber carby, but being early, it was probably a Solex. The Weber of the later Specials and DS21/23 is preferable.

If the rust, other than the roof rail, was restricted to the bootlid and back of the boot, it would not be that hard to fix and the asking price left room to acquire replacement parts. The rear panel can be bought as an assembly, but rust in a D is rarely specific to just one panel. The roof rail can be hard to judge when assembled, but if problems are not self-evident, at least on a the non-Pallas car you can run your hand around the inside and feel for rust. It can be quite severe and taking out the rear quarter trims and glass can give offer a surprise for the unsuspecting!

p.s. Good luck with your search for a car. Ask questions, check for rust carefully and be prepared to walk away and keep looking if a particular car just doesn't seem quite right. A knocked around car that may be quite usable as is will cost a lot to put right if you want to make it perfect, so what suits depends on your expectations and plans.
    Last edited by David S; 31st October 2015 at 09:01 PM.

Thread Information