Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By berlingogo
  • 1 Post By berlingogo
  • 2 Post By cav91
  • 3 Post By berlingogo
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Changed head gasket now engine won't fire up - any ideas? 2002 Berlingo

Tadpole

Default Changed head gasket now engine won't fire up - any ideas? 2002 Berlingo

Hi

I am a bit of a novice and have just changed the head gasket, including having the head machined, on my 2002 Berlingo. Have spent way more time getting the job done than it would take someone who was competent!

Have put everything back together and was excited to start her up. First attempt, the battery had gone flat.

Charged battery, engine turns over but it won't fire up

After a few tries, I noticed that I had failed to connect the hose (that looks similar to the fuel hose) at the rear of the inlet manifold. Connected it up and tried again. Still no luck.

I have since pulled off and reseated the ignition coil and inspected the spark plugs. I had also not connected a sensor on the lower oil filter housing (the metal part that bolts to the engine block). That has now been reconnected.

Still won't start.

Advertisement

Any ideas.

Michael

Berlingo 2002
    1.4 Petrol KFW engine

Did you completely remove the inlet manifold or just push it back a bit? I'd be checking everything is plugged in properly. Mainly the coil, ecu and the big injector loom plug in the back of the manifold (very easily missed)
    Last edited by cav91; 30th October 2015 at 10:08 AM.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

You will have to start with the basics. Have you plugged in the crankshaft sensor? This is usually located above the flywheel on the top of the gearbox housing. Are you getting spark from the HT output of the coil when cranking? Can you hear the fuel pump come on momentarily when you turn on the ignition? Is there fuel pressure in the injector rail? Are the ignition leads connected to the distributor cap correctly?

Cheers, Ken W

1000+ Posts

Sorry to be a pessimist (but you did say you are a novice ) - are you certain that the timing belt was reinstalled correctly (& the cam timing set correctly)? Did you replace the belt while you had the chance?

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 30th October 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Tadpole

Thanks all for your responses. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to have another go at it until a bit later this afternoon...

Alec - I did replace the timing belt (belt only) and I was pretty careful with the timing...made sure that locator pins in place, turned the engine by hand for ten revolutions etc.

Ken - Thanks for the tips - I'll check them all out. How do I check for pressure in the injector rail? I did pull the fuel hose off to check that fuel was at least being fed into the rail.

Cav91 - I'm dying to get home to see if I forgot to plug in the injector rail wiring loom, it's the sort of thing that I would do and I'm hoping that's the issue!

Michael
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Yes, recheck everything is hooked up.
    Be sure to bleed the cooling system at the bleeders, including the one on the heater hose. Do not overtighten the caps.
    Try locking and unlocking with the remote if it has one and that may unlock the ECU. This tricks people with older C5s when the battery is unhooked.

Tadpole

It was the injector loom connector! Now I feel very silly. Thanks all for your help...But now there's another problem...The car is revving at about 3.5 to 4k rpm on idle.Any clues on that one?
    addo likes this.

Yay I finally got one right! All these years and I'm finally right!!

Vacuum leak? Is it hissing?
    pug206gti and FedGrapes like this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Ha ha, as soon as you said it I suspected that I had forgotten to connect that! Thanks for your help

I listened for hissing and I think there may be some around the inlet manifold area, but it's revving so loud it's hard to tell...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berlingogo View Post
    Ha ha, as soon as you said it I suspected that I had forgotten to connect that! Thanks for your help

I listened for hissing and I think there may be some around the inlet manifold area, but it's revving so loud it's hard to tell...
    Hi ,
    Get a length of small tube, garden hose if all else fails, but prefer a 6 to 8 mm tube and put one end in your ear and move the other end around the manifold joints etc. Like a stethescope you will hear the hissing well. BE CAREFUL of moving parts.
    Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks Jaahn, I'll definitely be taking your advice. I'm just hoping it's not some major issue like the computer. ��

Fellow Frogger

It will have a motorised throttle. Look for any leakage or disconnected pipes after the throttle body. Perhaps trying to run it with the injectors not connected has confused it and the ECU? Switch off and leave the battery disconnected during dinner and it might forget all about it.

Tadpole

Thanks David. Here's hoping!

Tadpole

Problem fixed. There was an electrical connection onto the throttle body that I also managed to miss! I feel more than a little silly.

Running beautifully now. Thank you all for your help

Michael
    David S, FedGrapes and Berridale like this.

1000+ Posts

Default Experience !

Quote Originally Posted by berlingogo View Post
    Problem fixed. There was an electrical connection onto the throttle body that I also managed to miss! I feel more than a little silly.

Running beautifully now. Thank you all for your help

Michael
    Hi Michael,
    I am an experienced mechanic so I could be hollier than thou and say lots ! But I will just say, I have made every mistake that you could think of and MORE However with experience I have got better ! I wish there was a forum like this back in the good o'l days. Would have saved me some time that's for sure
    Jaahn

PS from experience I always go over the job carefully after i have finished and check everything I did before I start or drive the car.
    Last edited by jaahn; 31st October 2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Berridale likes this.

Thread Information