C6 musings.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fingers

Thread: C6 musings.

Default C6 musings.

Interested in both "hands on" and theoretical musings on the C6.
    Quite a lot of potential "mileage" so go ahead....

Advertisement

A few years ago the C6 was my absolute dream car. I could never afford to buy one. Then again , many years ago the CX was my dream car, and I couldn't afford one of those. I ended up with 3 of them.
    If I'm right you can only get a C6 with a twin turbo diesel. In that case I'm really not interested, at all. Sure they are very economical to run, but I really don't like them. Everyone I know who has a diesel claims they are powerful and have loads of torque, yet all of them have tried all possible options to beef up the power.
    The price is way over the top for most people.
    I decided years ago that perhaps a C5 would be my best shot, and at least a possibility. The petrol V6 appeals to me, and makes more sense to me. I have a series one V6 and I think it just amazing. Maybe a recent model petrol V6 X7 would be nice, but I'm not sure they even exist.
    So I've lost all interest in the C6, and the C5 V6 will do me for the forseeable future.

I currently drive a 2005 HDI 2.2 C5, and I have no complaints about the torque and the performance. It is a very good model. Then again, I have also owned a 2.0 petrol, and it was also pretty good.

The C6? Will it become one of the "legendary" Citroens?
    This isn't so much a musing on the engines (although I hear that the Ford 2.7 is not a Good Thing) but the long term perspective, compared, perhaps to the CX. Collectible? One of the best of the disappearing hydraulic-suspension Citroens? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    I currently drive a 2005 HDI 2.2 C5, and I have no complaints about the torque and the performance. It is a very good model. Then again, I have also owned a 2.0 petrol, and it was also pretty good.

The C6? Will it become one of the "legendary" Citroens?
    This isn't so much a musing on the engines (although I hear that the Ford 2.7 is not a Good Thing) but the long term perspective, compared, perhaps to the CX. Collectible? One of the best of the disappearing hydraulic-suspension Citroens? Or not?
    Complex electronics, lots of plastic pipes, few around, fewer who know how to fix them and then lots of plastic pipes. I'd not go there personally. Great newish cars, but I'd suggest not a "keeper". Just my view.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Apart from the bodywork, it's not so different underneath from a C5. I don't see too many plastic pipes on mine.

Because of the anal retentiveness on closed software all modern vehicles, all makes, will be hard to sort out in 20 or 30 years.

I think the C6 came to Aust with a choice of V6 diesel and petrol engines. I was looking through a C5 2008 BSI configuration manual I found on my hard drive a few days ago and it would appear that the V6 versions do have the variable damping that the C6 has. Can anyone confirm that? I note that my C5 four cylinder diesel does not have any wires going to the front struts so no variable damping.

Cheers, Ken W

1000+ Posts

You mean this on the C6? C6 musings.-screenshot-15.jpg

Fellow Frogger

Almost all of the C6s sold here were 2.7HDi and then a handful of 3.0HDi at the end. There were two very early petrol cars imported as demo/show cars and then I believe two others built for Australia, one near the end of production. One went to NZ, so I think you would have a choice of maybe three petrol V6 C6 in Australia. All other C6s are 2.7 or 3.0 HDi V6. There was one C5 X7 petrol V6 imported initially, but there could be others to special order.

The give little trouble if cared for. Aside from normal wear and tear, common issues are lower control arm rear bushes and the bottom eye bush of the front upright. The 2.7 can develop fuel return hose leaks, which is common to some Ford and Jag models using the same engine and an important thing to check. The thermostat housing and water outlet down the front are plastic and can become brittle. You can buy aluminium replacement items for Ford/Jag versions, but not the PSA versions as far as I'm aware. The C6 is mechanically similar to a C5 X7, but the variable damping suspension is unique to the C6.

One example currently on offer:
    Continental Cars CitroŽn Centre Ľ 2006 CITROEN C6
    Original owner put on many km between town and country.

Mmm. Well... I still have a soft spot for the CX and it wasn't ..... erm ... the most robustly built car from Citroen.
    The C6 does have some "pedigree" and I doubt that build quality will be the #1 item on the *future legend* list.
    That would disqualify many cars.

So the question remains...will the C6 become a cult status model?

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Mmm. Well... I still have a soft spot for the CX and it wasn't ..... erm ... the most robustly built car from Citroen.
    The C6 does have some "pedigree" and I doubt that build quality will be the #1 item on the *future legend* list.
    That would disqualify many cars.

So the question remains...will the C6 become a cult status model?

I think yes, but it will be a fairly exclusive club with the limited numbers sold.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Fellow Frogger

No, there are not very many in Australia. Maybe it just enters 3 figures? So you'll not easily lose it in a car park!

I nearly fell over when I saw this car on a street in Paris in 2006. I have had two X7 C5s and love them, but was unable to cure my love of the C6. I have photos of my kids sitting in one at the Melbourne motor show. Then a friend let me drive his C6 last year for a week while he was overseas. It was in Gris Haria with the very pale interior. A stunning ship of a car. But I felt lost in the front seat (I'm 181cm) and it just didn't make the same sense to me as the X7. So now I might get another of the new X7s with the 6 year warranty and specced as I want. But I don't like the twin turbo idea: twice as many turbos to go wrong. And the dealer told me I can't order a sunroof in the standard exclusive now. Frustrating.

Interesting thread. I was in awe when I first saw a C6. What a beautiful design. At one of the French Car Days several years ago I decided that a C5 will do me quite well one day. That day has come, and I'm very happy with the car and it's build quality. My only next step , unless I could find one of the three petrol C6s, would be one of the most recent C5 X7s, with a V6 petrol engine.
    I think some time in the next 10 years I'll grab a spare C5 , rip out the motor and gearbox and convert it to Electric. There's a fun idea.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    One example currently on offer:
    Continental Cars CitroŽn Centre Ľ 2006 CITROEN C6
    Original owner put on many km between town and country.
    Now if it had a sunroof... I'd be seriously tempted!
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

I had a test drive in a 3 litre petrol C6 a few years ago and sat in the back of diesel one, a Paris taxi, last year. Not a lot of experience but it left me unconvinced. It looks good, but its big and wide. It's very quiet and smooth, but the seats are hard compared with a proper Citroen. I hear the suspension arm balljoints are a poor design, need frequent replacement. I read that a new headlight from Citroen costs nearly 1000 GBP, door mirror 300 GBP, rear bumper 1495 GBP! CX and DS are way way way better!
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    Now if it had a sunroof... I'd be seriously tempted!
    I'll lend you my angle grinder.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger

Yes, a sunroof would be nice. Do you have a can opener perhaps???
    A quality aftermarket fitting is not an impossible job I'd expect.

It would have the reclining TGV rear seats. Only the earlier deliveries in our market had them as the spec was then changed to the (more practical and substantially less costly) fold down variety. Sunroof + TGV seats would be a relatively small pool to buy from. There are various little differences built in that mean it's not simply a case of bolting a set in to a later car should anyone be thinking of that.

1000+ Posts

Black interior, sunroof and TGV seats are a must. Then I'd be in the market.

Now where's that famous CitroŽn depreciation they talk about? $25K for a nearly 10 year old car...

1000+ Posts

That said I'm not totally in love with the C6 like I was with the XM when that model was released. There's some appealing aspects, but it's not all there, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd compromise and have it without a sunroof.

Thread Information