• 2 Post By Preacherman
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By Mort Subite
  • 2 Post By pajamas

Thread: DS Safari Wanted, NSW

Tadpole

Default DS Safari Wanted, NSW

Hi All
    I have had the privilege of owning a number of amazing and some not so amazing cars in my lifetime. I have always admired Citroen's and lusted after two Citroen's for years. One is a SM, (but I realise it is a pipe dream and perhaps too exotic. The second is a DS Safari. I have just loved the look of them for years and their practicality sorely tempted me when the 5 kids were all at home!
    I STILL want one and feel NOW is the time to go for it. I prefer a 2.3 5 speed but I know I will be happy with anything running/regoed.

If you can help - Please contact Lindon on [email protected] with pics and info or 0499485365.
    Thank you - I am so excited just at the process of beginning the search and am grateful there is an Aussie Club catering for Citroen enthusiasts!!

Advertisement
    Mort Subite and jaahn like this.

UFO

Unless I can be proven wrong, and books by Presnell and Reynolds seem to support my theory, you will not find a 5 speed gearbox safari. Unless someone has added a 5 speed box to it. It appears they were never built in 5 speed or automatic.

Good luck in your hunt.
    Mort Subite likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I think the books indicate less than a thousand 23/5speed breaks were made and I bet those were left hookers. I'm with UFO.

I think Craig is wrong. I have two Citroen brochures (the big green fold-out D Series one and the Safari one with a family on a camping trip messing about with a boat on the front) that mention two transmission options for the DS23 Safari: 5 speed manual and 4 speed hydraulic. I have seen 5 speed DS23 Safaris in right hand drive and I don't think they were added later. It's the hydraulic Safari that is rare.

Roger

I can rarely comment on a question like this because I don't pay enough attention to such details, but there's a 5 speed safari a few streets from me, owned by the guy almost since new and he is not the kind of bloke to swap a gearbox. I'll try to catch up with him about it. Also, given the nature of the vehicle as an intergalactic cruiser, isn't it odd to think that the 5 speed would not have been offered? Anyway Preacherman you have great taste! Magic car.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

My father had one. Childhood memories. I think they would be like proverbial hens' teeth to find now. How many Safari's of any gearbox would there be remaining in Australia now? 15? 20?

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    My father had one. Childhood memories. I think they would be like proverbial hens' teeth to find now. How many Safari's of any gearbox would there be remaining in Australia now? 15? 20?
    My DS23 Safari is an original 5 speed manual....
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Unless I can be proven wrong, and books by Presnell and Reynolds seem to support my theory, you will not find a 5 speed gearbox safari. Unless someone has added a 5 speed box to it. It appears they were never built in 5 speed or automatic.

Good luck in your hunt.
    My Eloise is a 5 speed 23.
    UFO likes this.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

PM me what you are expecting to spend.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

I'll check the garage.... Sophie Safari is an original 23 5 speed.... She and Elouise are kissing cousins - came on the same boat.

Oh and so is Simone SM. (Not to rub salt...)

good of luck on your hunt. There have been a few Safari's making it back onto the road this year. Safari ownership is very rewarding.
    addo and UFO like this.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

You have to love a safari, I did. But if you are also considering an SM then let me make a few comparisons.
    Engine - safari - 4 cylinder tractor engine. SM - V6 quad cam 3 webbered exotic Italian thoroughbred.
    Looks - safari - ugly. SM - beautiful.
    Comfort - safari - comfortable enough. SM - super stylish leather everywhere and integrated airco.
    Performance - safari - slow. SM - fast.
    Practicality - safari - very. SM big on the outside and small on the inside.
    Price now - safari - expensive for a restored one. SM cheap for a restored one (based on several examples appearing on carsales over the last few years).
    The choice is yours, but we would be most pleased if you could join the SM owners group should you purchase an SM.
    cheers Tony

Check this listing and ring to see if the DS 23 Safari in Mapleton is still available.

For Sale

Cheers,

Ken W

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I think Craig is wrong. I have two Citroen brochures (the big green fold-out D Series one and the Safari one with a family on a camping trip messing about with a boat on the front) that mention two transmission options for the DS23 Safari: 5 speed manual and 4 speed hydraulic. I have seen 5 speed DS23 Safaris in right hand drive and I don't think they were added later. It's the hydraulic Safari that is rare.

Roger
    Hi Roger, I was just wondering how many Hydraulic gear change safaris are in the country?

Cheers,
    Ben

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Hello Ben,

I have one and I know of one other, whose owner is doing it up and is a member here.

Roger

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Hello Ben,

I have one and I know of one other, whose owner is doing it up and is a member here.

Roger
    Oh cool, I sent you a pm :-)
    Cheers,
    Ben

Fellow Frogger

One of those started out as a 5 speed and the other came via India as I recall. By the time the 23 arrived in our market, the local ADRs had prevented the sale of the BVH system here as it lacked a parking pawl. There were 21 Safaris with BVH sold here (a one-time neighour had one) but any 23 BVH would be a conversion or private import (used or factory delivery to a returning tourist).

I have a friend who is refurbishing one at present in Melbourne.

Tim

Tadpole

Does anyone know how many were sold here or still exists? Thanks, Ben

UFO

OK I was wrong on the 5 speed safari and having ridden in at least two of those mentioned above I should have known better....

Anyway, the one DS23H that I know of was a private import. It still exists in Sydney.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    You have to love a safari, I did. But if you are also considering an SM then let me make a few comparisons.
    Engine - safari - 4 cylinder tractor engine. SM - V6 quad cam 3 webbered exotic Italian thoroughbred.
    Looks - safari - ugly. SM - beautiful.
    Comfort - safari - comfortable enough. SM - super stylish leather everywhere and integrated airco.
    Performance - safari - slow. SM - fast.
    Practicality - safari - very. SM big on the outside and small on the inside.
    Price now - safari - expensive for a restored one. SM cheap for a restored one (based on several examples appearing on carsales over the last few years).
    The choice is yours, but we would be most pleased if you could join the SM owners group should you purchase an SM.
    cheers Tony
    "Safari - ugly. SM - beautiful", eh?
    The rear of an SM is probably the ugliest of all Citroen views Then again I guess beauty, like conjunctivitis, is in the eye of the beholder

Fellow Frogger!

From the rear a Safari can look a little odd but the younger "kids" seem to like the Safaris as they probably look a bit "retro". They are an amazing vehicle. We have used our 1968 version for years and luckily with our care and attention it has been very good to us.

Now when you're talking SM I can't say a bad word. To me - - the perfect modern Sedan. Who needs to look further than that.
    C4, C5 and 6 - - Xantia and so-on don't come near the beauty of an SM.
    Bit too modern for me as the D will do me fine but for the brave, the SM and also the CX are beautiful looking cars.

An old fashioned bloke, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Safari Wanted, NSW-ds-68-newell-jan-2012-bw.jpg   DS Safari Wanted, NSW-ds-68-newell-jan-2012-aw.jpg  

Thread Information