• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 2 Citroens, no money....

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2 Citroens, no money....

Geez, I have had a crap day. 1st, I discover my card has been hacked - apparently I spent last night in a hotel in Russia! 2nd, the doctor has confirmed that my arthritic neck now has vertebrae pushing against my spinal cord so, I will need a rather dangerous operation. Finally (and this is why I am whinging on the Citroen forum), I am loosing $10,000 of my income next year due to my kids being all grown up (was I on the German side in a previous life?).
    Anyway, being on a pension, I simply cannot run 2 cars. The thing is, I really love both of them and so cannot make up my mind which one to divest myself of. The XM is a beautiful comfortable, quite and high powered car and, while it can be frustrating, it is wonderful to drive. The CX is a bit tired and still need wiring work done to it but, it doesn't have an auto trannie to worry about and it is a real hoot to drive - gets lots of attention (bloody hot - needs the aircon fixed). It is much easier to work on than the XM and, the build quality is way ahead of it. Plus, parts are easier to come by.

Pros and cons please?

Advertisement

thanks

Warren

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'd suggest the CX won't get any cooler with A/C working unless you do a LOT of work on it.

Move the CX to a club permit @ $70 a year .... so you have something reliable to drive You may find the XM breaks down very often.... In this case you can pay another $70 and drive the CX for another 45days while the XM is getting fixed ........ again

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: You think the CX is hot and we haven't even reached summer yet You have't lived until you have driven a CX through peak hour traffic in 40+ degree heat with the sun beating down on you through the windscreen
    Kenfuego likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Warren, you poor guy! That is a benchmark crap day. I hope you can get the credit card funds reimbursed. I did.
    I was reflecting on your situation and saying to myself "Wait until Shane unleashes on the XM." In the event he was rather restrained, I thought.
    Club plates are an option, but if you can have only one car in your life I'd suggest neither of the above. The CX fleet is just plain too old to be daily drivers now, and I speak as 3-time CX owner and lover. I know nothing about XMs but my idea would be to keep the XM until the first sign of unreliability and sell it in favour of a later C3 or C4. The plus side of monster depreciation is good value for relatively late model pre-owned Citroens.
    Good luck with the op and will look out for you at the French Car Festival on Sunday.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

I agree with Shane. You'll need the XM in summer.

And you could always save some money by not going to Russian hotels as often.
    addo likes this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I wonder what you get for $500.00 in a Russian hotel. Possibly a wife and a tractor....

I was thinking about getting rid of both and getting a 5-7 yo C5 but, it may still cost too much. (I like hydro suspension)

JBN

I am not going to suggest anything. The last thing I want you to do is shake your head, in either direction. I really hope the doctor is successful in alleviating your neck issues. Your health is the most important thing at this stage.

Shayne's advice makes the most sense and the issue can be re-evaluated in a years time. They are only cars. You will always have good memories of them, whenever you dispose of them. Keep your stress levels as low as you can and concentrate on the important issue - you.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Warren, you poor guy! That is a benchmark crap day. I hope you can get the credit card funds reimbursed. I did.
    I was reflecting on your situation and saying to myself "Wait until Shane unleashes on the XM." In the event he was rather restrained, I thought.
    Club plates are an option, but if you can have only one car in your life I'd suggest neither of the above. The CX fleet is just plain too old to be daily drivers now, and I speak as 3-time CX owner and lover. I know nothing about XMs but my idea would be to keep the XM until the first sign of unreliability and sell it in favour of a later C3 or C4. The plus side of monster depreciation is good value for relatively late model pre-owned Citroens.
    Good luck with the op and will look out for you at the French Car Festival on Sunday.
    Hey you have a C6 .......................................... When do we get to see some piccies of it

If I had to pay other to work on the cars. They XM at a minimum would go ... replaced iwth something like a Clio ( 7 year warranty ). The CX would stay as the "fun/thirsty" car.

If you can work on the cars, while you can get parts, upkeep shouldn't be too expensive. Especially if your not working full time and have plenty of time to constantly tinker with them (I'm sure the XM would keep you endlessly entertained )

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

At some point the sale of your XM will get you enough for a C5 (X7 model)... dependent on condition of both cars of course. CX's make great daily drivers as I have done so for over 10 years now however I have noticed the parts drying up recently and the need to acquire bits and pieces from overseas. Many are being scrapped to a point where surely there will be few good ones left so perhaps the less you drive a CX now the better it will be for another two decades or so.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Geez, I have had a crap day. 1st, I discover my card has been hacked - apparently I spent last night in a hotel in Russia! 2nd, the doctor has confirmed that my arthritic neck now has vertebrae pushing against my spinal cord so, I will need a rather dangerous operation. Finally (and this is why I am whinging on the Citroen forum), I am loosing $10,000 of my income next year due to my kids being all grown up (was I on the German side in a previous life?).
    Anyway, being on a pension, I simply cannot run 2 cars. The thing is, I really love both of them and so cannot make up my mind which one to divest myself of. The XM is a beautiful comfortable, quite and high powered car and, while it can be frustrating, it is wonderful to drive. The CX is a bit tired and still need wiring work done to it but, it doesn't have an auto trannie to worry about and it is a real hoot to drive - gets lots of attention (bloody hot - needs the aircon fixed). It is much easier to work on than the XM and, the build quality is way ahead of it. Plus, parts are easier to come by.

Pros and cons please?

thanks

Warren
    Look after your own health first, Without it you have nothing.

Sell both cars and buy a vehicle which may be boring, but will be reliable and likely to stay working for a long time without constant drain on you resources.

Come to terms with the loss of your hobby and enjoy your health and prosperity.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th October 2015 at 06:44 PM.
    k eeles, addo, JohnW and 1 others like this.

Agreed. Look after your own health as first priority. If it were me, I would stick with the CX. The last Citroen you would have some chance getting going again after a breakdown on the side of the road. You can get the aircon working quite well without doing everything Double Chevron has done. Does it have a rear system, you will need one. I have one you can have if needed. If it is to be the daily driver, pay someone who knows them to give it a good going over and fix what needs to be fixed. Maybe fit 123 ignition to avoid points maintenance. If your operation is in Sydney, why not come down in the CX and leave it with Jason to be attended to.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I am in Melbourne but, you are right. The motor runs sweet and, having a distributor and carburettor simplifies things. I can park the XM and fix the few things that need sorting over the next year or so....
    Kenfuego likes this.

If you are retired then do you need the car every day? If not the club scheme available to you is generous and putting the two on club rego would give you 90 days - extend if needed. That way you keep the fun, have something to do and don't have to spend as much to keep it on the road.

With my fleet, full rego is becoming a serious issue - (around $600 per car) so I'm planning to shift mine across to historic which in WA has far more restrictive conditions than yours. Will have to pick one to keep on full to have a second car when needed - not limited in its use.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The CX was going on club rego and, you are right, I only get out about 2-3 days a week. The XM is too young for club rego

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Hey you have a C6 .......................................... When do we get to see some piccies of it.
    Here's one at least.

Before (The reality):2 Citroens, no money....-img_0037.jpg

After (The dream): 2 Citroens, no money....-c6_av.jpg
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Wow!!

The CX was going on club rego and, you are right, I only get out about 2-3 days a week. The XM is too young for club rego
    Stick with that plan Warren! The situation you find yourself in will improve. I had to retire early due to ill health and it finally took a move to rural Victoria before situations began to improve. The CX can wait as long as it can be suitably stored to prevent deterioration. Enjoy your XM as a daily driver. It is indeed a beautiful car.
    I am finally working with a degree of consistency on an 11BL that I bought just after we were married forty-three years ago. It goes to show that the day will come eventually where you can proceed with your plans. Please let me know if there is any way that I can help!
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

'The thing is, I really love both of them...' / 'a real hoot to drive'

Dear Warren,

It seems to me that when life delivers the tough challenges it's good to be able to point to something that gives us pleasure, and by the way you talk about your cars it's clear that you get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from them. This can make a big difference to how we get by. It's great having them there - and they recall memories and good times. It's good to know also that there are many sources here and in the clubs to help. And the permit idea is excellent.
    'Cheap therapy', a good friend always says. A wash, an occasional run here and there, a chat to an admirer...all good stuff. Sounds to me like it's a bit soon to part.....Bring your CX to the all French day this Sunday at Como if you can! Would be great to meet you.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 29th October 2015 at 11:41 AM.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Here's one at least.

Before (The reality):Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	76177

After (The dream): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6_av.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	76178
    Wow ... you need to start a thread here on that car Let me guess, your fitting a SBC, turbo 400 and CIG locker in the back

WRB, what year is your XM .... The early ones could go onto a club permit soon Which is an immense cost saving! None of my Citroens are on full registration either as I simply can't afford the registration costs.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    WRB likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Whatever you do stay with hydraulic suspension, I got into citroens when my lovely soulmate got head injuries in the Canberra bush fires, in the Citroen we can go on long trips without a serious problem. In a much newer conventional car she has to rest up with pills for a couple of days before doing anything. If you neck is dodgy stick with hydraulics!

Regards & sympathy
    agd123

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The reason I got into Citroens was because of severe Rheumatoid arthritis which put me onto a disability pension. Once you have owned one, there is no going back. I will try and get the CX to Como on Sunday - just 2 hours of work to do on it so, I have no excuse (well, it will be 1 day out of rego....)
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.

The reason I got into Citroens was because of severe Rheumatoid arthritis which put me onto a disability pension. Once you have owned one, there is no going back. I will try and get the CX to Como on Sunday - just 2 hours of work to do on it so, I have no excuse (well, it will be 1 day out of rego....)

Sounds like good timing for club permit!
    Fingers likes this.

What needs doing in two hours, Warren?

Tim

Ah, Citroen decisions .... a very short answer that could be backed up with lots of stuff. Try for a C5 HDI 2005-2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Agreed. Look after your own health as first priority. If it were me, I would stick with the CX. The last Citroen you would have some chance getting going again after a breakdown on the side of the road. You can get the aircon working quite well without doing everything Double Chevron has done. Does it have a rear system, you will need one. I have one you can have if needed. If it is to be the daily driver, pay someone who knows them to give it a good going over and fix what needs to be fixed. Maybe fit 123 ignition to avoid points maintenance. If your operation is in Sydney, why not come down in the CX and leave it with Jason to be attended to.
    Good luck with the neck surgery. I'd totally support the "look after yourself first" line and wouldn't give advice re the CX and XM.

Personally, I'd get a "slide into" car not a "curl down into" car, the Renault Scenic being a brilliant example. Yes, we have one.

There are always good old Citroens out there to buy when the neck issue is resolved.

Very best wishes.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Tim - 1 ball joint, a track rod end and then, bleed the brakes. It is probably less than an hour. I am going to go down to Vic roads today to get a 28 day pass. It was due for a roadworthy check yesterday but, my debit card got scammed by a Russian. (I am still waiting for my new wife and her Ukrainian tractor..) The work is going to take less than an hour so, It will be there on Sunday.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words. I have felt so welcome here since I got my first Citroen and the help you guys have given me and each other is nothing short of wonderful. I was very nervous going on the Bendigo club run as when I was part of the Harley owners group, I was simply ignored. It could not have been more different with the Cit fraternity - everyone introduced themselves to me and, I had a great day making new friends. I was warmly accepted by everyone despite the fact that I am an old hippie (and look the part). Thank you all so much

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information