CX flooding fuel
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX flooding fuel

My CX 85 2500 won't run as it is flooding fuel. Starts fine only flooding. I think it's a wiring problem. I had a yellow wire burn the other day and can't figure out what it connected to. I traced it back along the harness and it joined 4 wires the blue went back to the earth cluster on the inside left fender and 2 grey 1 brown went across the radiator to the right side. I can't find any diagram that shows what relay does what,where their wire go and colors. I have a mass of jumbled wires around the battery area and a cluster 9 relays under the light. the other 5 or so relays around the air horn battery area. 1 relay is the airhorn. Please help.

Advertisement

Probably one of the temperature sensors - try back starboard corner of the engine.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    Peterbuc,
    If that was not on a Citroen I would just laugh. The carbys flooding so it must be a wiring fault
    Still unlikely though ! I would be interested in the answer if it proves to be true.
    Actually it seems like a case of self immolation by the car Now that's believable !
    Jaahn

check the fuel pressure regulator
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi,
    Peterbuc,
    If that was not on a Citroen I would just laugh. The carbys flooding so it must be a wiring fault
    Still unlikely though ! I would be interested in the answer if it proves to be true.
    Actually it seems like a case of self immolation by the car Now that's believable !
    Jaahn
    '85 is fuel injected ............. I put $$$$ on an electrical problem too

If it has a cold start injector, try plugging the line too it. Also check for leaking injectors. I have had a fuel regualtor die in the past and cause the fuel system to run at extreme pressure causing extremelly rich running.

When you check the temp sensors .............. check them at the computer! That way your also checking the wiring to them.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

C 2500ie do not have a cold start injector. They are LE Jetronic so they pulse all injectors an extra amount of time during cold start. Also I think the other feature of LE is that when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump runs for 5 secs, so if you remove all injectors, and turn on the ignition, you should be able to tell if you have a leaking one
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

My CX flooded last year only time in my ownership she never got home under her own steam.

I went through everything at the road side, checked the connections etc (I have the official Citroen AEI plug in test unit) pressure gauge was showing normal fuel pressure 'at the rail' just wouldn't start the plugs were dry though and it just wouldn't fire up.

I gave up after a couple of hours and called the recovery truck. I looked at it the next day and thought may be the slug on the flywheel had fallen off so checked from under the car, I bumped in to the intercooler tube while there and it went thud instead of ding...out of curiosity I undid the hose and a good few litres of petrol pissed over me and on to the garage floor. Turns out the Nitrous solenoids have been in the car a good few years now the seals aren't compatible with modern additives in the petrol. Spinning the motor over just filled the intercooler with petrol, luckily acting as a plug stopping enough air from entering the engine to allow it to start.... that could have been another story! I just wonder how long it will be before the diaphragms in the pressure regs start giving up.

Thanks all. At the garage Mon to go nuts.

Fuel pressure regulator. Mine used a lot of fuel, replaced regulator.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Thread Information