Citroen BX - Speedo wobble and noise, oil dipstick
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By David S
  • 2 Post By FedGrapes

Thread: Citroen BX - Speedo wobble and noise, oil dipstick

Default Citroen BX - Speedo wobble and noise, oil dipstick

A quick couple of questions for the knowledgeable folk here!

Firstly!

Advertisement

I have an issue with the speedo. It wobbles, and consequently makes a small rattling noise. The noise I would describe like the casing of a relay gently bouncing around inside the steering column. Which I thought the noise was, but it isn't.

The problem escalated recently. At higher speeds (and seemingly lower temperatures; night time or early morning), the speedo wobble disappears, and the sound becomes a whine.

Is this problem integral to the speedo, or just my cue to get a new cable? If so, which cable? Peugeot 405?

Secondly!

My dipstick has had the top cap crumble away. Do I just need the same dipstick as a 1.9L 205 GTI? Suggestions on where to purchase? EAI? French Connection?

Thanks Citroen folk!

Fellow Frogger

Try lubricating the cable before spending any money.

Dipsticks are not expensive, but are not always available. Best to look up the part number for your dipstick and chase a new one that way via a dealer or eBay. You can also search in Citroen Service etc. on the part number and see what else it's used in. You might think it's the same part as used on some other installation of the same motor, but it could be a different placement with a different tube. Worst case, make a new knob for it if you know how long it should be.
    FedGrapes and frog like this.

I have a feeling that the speedo cable has two halves, one of which (I don't recall which) failed and was replaced about 6-8 years back. I chased Flex-drive folk (who make speedo cables) regarding an similar problem with the Renault 4CV and they advised thorough cleaning then lubricating with a light coat of multi-purpose chassis grease (such as Shell Retinax). To do that of course you have to pull the inner out of the outer. It certainly made a difference.

I agree with David S on this.

Cheers

John

(PSA dipsticks are dismal devices.)
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    A quick couple of questions for the knowledgeable folk here!

Firstly!

I have an issue with the speedo. It wobbles, and consequently makes a small rattling noise. The noise I would describe like the casing of a relay gently bouncing around inside the steering column. Which I thought the noise was, but it isn't.

The problem escalated recently. At higher speeds (and seemingly lower temperatures; night time or early morning), the speedo wobble disappears, and the sound becomes a whine.

Is this problem integral to the speedo, or just my cue to get a new cable? If so, which cable? Peugeot 405?

Secondly!

My dipstick has had the top cap crumble away. Do I just need the same dipstick as a 1.9L 205 GTI? Suggestions on where to purchase? EAI? French Connection?

Thanks Citroen folk!
    It is possible to make a new dipstick that is far superior to the old one, at least more superior than the renault one.
    I just took a modern nissan dipstick with its long handle and bright yellow plastic ring (non scalding design) and a positive fit seal, and riveted it onto my old one at the correct length.
    Mk2 dipstick was using the nissan bottom which was bent in such a way that it doesn't contact the sides of tube on withdrawal and has a knurled section for ease of reading.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Try lubricating the cable before spending any money.
    As a follow up, lubrication of the speedo has alleviated to the problem of the whine, and greatly reduced the wobble. Thank you for the point in the right direction!

Thread Information