D Gear selector cable
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D Gear selector cable

Last week I noticed that the Gear cable on my D Super had seized up ( having just emerged from a long slumber).I decided to replace it with one of my many spares.In the process of removing it I noticed that the Bronze bush at the base of the steering column housing was badly worn,so that had to be fixed first.Now I am selecting my best spare to replace it but I see that some have a long spring on the rod attached to the cable and others have none!! Does anyone know what is going on here.
    Woody

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

How old is the car, Woody? '72->? 4 speed or 5 speed? We can have a squizz through the parts books, maybe find the truth.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

I've encountered the same question. It wasn't in the 23 5 speed cable, but was in a spare that I think came from a 4 speed car, so I concluded it wasn't needed for the 5 speed. Works fine.

Fellow Frogger!

Its a 72 D Super 5S
    Woody

OK- even with my lack of success in getting a PDF file pic to post here, I went looking, and found that there is a definite difference with the RHD-vs-LHD shift mechanisms. There was also a listing for the 4 speed-vs-5 speed cables, but only one cable is shown. David may be right, the difference there doesn't amount to much. What I may be able to do is download as a file a copy of the parts book I looked at as an email to you. For reference's sake, the book was #648, 1&2, pages 119-122. I did notice a spring listed as an "anti-rattle spring", #23 on the illustration.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

OK- even with my lack of success in getting a PDF file pic to post here, I went looking, and found that there is a definite difference with the RHD-vs-LHD shift mechanisms. There was also a listing for the 4 speed-vs-5 speed cables, but only one cable is shown. David may be right, the difference there doesn't amount to much. What I may be able to do is download as a file a copy of the parts book I looked at as an email to you. For reference's sake, the book was #648, 1&2, pages 119-122 (PDF file). I did notice a spring listed as an "anti-rattle spring", #23 on the illustration. PM me your email address, I'll try and see if I can get that manual off to you.

Thread Information