• 2 Post By Edwin
  • 1 Post By Demannu
  • 1 Post By Edwin
  • 1 Post By rbwadley

Thread: The (expensive) solution to the CX Turbo TRX tyres conundrum

Tadpole

Icon3 The (expensive) solution to the CX Turbo TRX tyres conundrum

Hi all,

Those of you familiar with CX Turbos will be aware of the issues with TRX wheels and their (very) expensive tyres. I've recently contacted an alloy wheel repair shop in Sydney to investigate the possibility of having the centres of my CX Turbo's wheels cut out and welded to 16" alloy wheel hoops, which will allow me to fit modern, superior, cheap and plentiful 16" tyres to the car while maintaining its original looks. Happily it seems they can do this.

It's not going to be cheap but it's comparable to the price of importing 4 TRX tyres and having the wheels repainted, so I'm prepared to go ahead. Judging by their photos the shop seems to do good work and the guy I spoke to also said he's done this before. They'll import alloy wheel hoops from the USA, cut out the TRX centres, sand blast them, bolt them together temporarily so they can be tested against the wheel hubs to make sure they fit, weld the centres and hoops together, and finally paint the newly-created wheels.

Something that might be an issue is that the only 16" hoops they can get are 7 inches wide, whereas the original wheels are 150mm wide (5.9 inches). I know others have used 6.5 inch wide Alfa Romeo alloys on their CX Turbos, but I seem to remember this requires filing back the lip of the rear spats. I believe others have used even wider alloy wheels, so I was hoping that if anyone here has done so they could let me know if they had any issues getting the wheels to fit. Filing back the lip of the spats will be easy enough, I'm just hoping there's enough internal clearance.

If I go ahead I'll make sure plenty of photos are taken and will post them in here. Then I can move onto worrying about the air conditioning and Series I door cards issues!

Advertisement
    addo and FedGrapes like this.

Good on you! I'm really pleased this can be done.

Wait for the kvetchers, the Chicken Littles, the whole parade of fruit and nuts who will all try to tarnish your decision.

1000+ Posts

When I was in conversation with Image Wheels in the UK, their advice was that they could do the rim width & offsets of their 3 piece billet range in almost any variation I fancied. I didn't proceed but two ideas occur to me.

The first is a variation on your current plan. Contact Image Wheels & see if they'll supply an inner & outer rim adding up to 6" in 16" diameter & with the offset you desire. Weld to your cut down centres & . . .

The second is simpler & it might be possible to match appearance fairly closely. Browse their 3 piece billet range to see if a centre's appearance suits.

cheers! Peter

Hi Peter, the problem is in NSW you can't have circumferential welds to the rim, other than where a centre is attached. It's a shame to exclude perfectly adequate and skilled processes, but that's how it is.

A gent in WA did a similar thing with Pug 505 TRX rims, machining the outer from a Skyline (IIRC) and the centre from the TRX rim, and having them welded together. Looked great and as far as I know worked well.
    addo likes this.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

It was actually his post that first prompted me to look into this! I've been keeping an eye on this sort of stuff on and off for years, but the deterioration of the rubber on the TRX tyres has finally forced my hand.

There are some threads on an American Mustang forum where people tried similar things; someone even came up with a solution where the cut-out TRX centres were used as hubcaps on top of the actual wheels. There are also threads on Dutch and German forums where someone is trying to get an alloy wheel manufacturer to make completely new wheels based on the old Turbo design. A prototype wheel was made but they haven't started production yet; I think they're having issues with getting them approved for sale.
    Thread is here if anyone's interested, with pictures of the prototype on page 10.
    Last edited by Edwin; 20th October 2015 at 12:19 AM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Hi Peter, the problem is in NSW you can't have circumferential welds to the rim, other than where a centre is attached. It's a shame to exclude perfectly adequate and skilled processes, but that's how it is.
    Hmm! Actually, with a 3 piece rim the two rim bits & the centre all meet at one point; so . . . . .

Banned

this is just an idle, general interest question, but is this just to retain the original wheel design, or is there some reason non standard wheels cant be fitted? ta.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Jason Leung has done this in the past and had a webpage on converting his 390mm (non turbo) wheels to a standard wheel size. They looked very nicely done. I can't find his web page at the moment though.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I watch the hot rodding shows on Foxtel from time to time. They seem to have no issue with sketching a wheel design then having it created from a block of aluminium. Then again I've done a couple of trips to the US & they let lots of vehicles drive around on the roads there that would be put off the road here.
    Lasya likes this.

I'm eagerly awaiting the best solution.

My TRX's are reasonably new on the front but the back are not so. Whilst the back has a lot of meat the rubber is hardening with age. I found out with surprise that hard rubber doesn't grip so well when you fang it around corners. I never expected to need quick reflexes to correct oversteer. A front wheel drive with a fishy tail end. Woohoo and for those interested I'm running them on Nitrogen front 36 back 24. The fishy tail episode was when I had then more inflated than this. Seems better now on 36/24.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Remember .... if a CX ever steps out ...... Stand on the "GO" pedal really quickly
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I remember Jason's wheel conversion too, but that was to a 15" wheel, not a 16". It looked basically like the standard wheel after it was done.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    this is just an idle, general interest question, but is this just to retain the original wheel design, or is there some reason non standard wheels cant be fitted? ta.
    They can, but they'll be the standard 14" alloys, not the unique Turbo wheels.

Edit- there's also a version of the standard factory alloys in 390mm, but I think those were found on the GTi and Prestige.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

Yep, reason is to maintain the look of the original Turbo alloy wheels. So perhaps not the most practical way to spend money on the car, but everyone needs a hobby right?

Shane, I do remember Jason's site and now that you mention it I do vaguely remember the wheel conversion. It does seem to be gone now though. Speaking of old CX sites, I see elsewhere that you're running 7.5 inch wide wheels on your Turbo, and that they fit on one of your Series I Cxs without any modification to the rear spats, so I'm hoping the 7s will be fine on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Yep, reason is to maintain the look of the original Turbo alloy wheels. So perhaps not the most practical way to spend money on the car, but everyone needs a hobby right?

Shane, I do remember Jason's site and now that you mention it I do vaguely remember the wheel conversion. It does seem to be gone now though. Speaking of old CX sites, I see elsewhere that you're running 7.5 inch wide wheels on your Turbo, and that they fit on one of your Series I Cxs without any modification to the rear spats, so I'm hoping the 7s will be fine on my car.
    Edwin, how old is your car? It occurs to me that the real difference between a series 1 and a Series 1.5 had to do with wheel widths and clearances. The reasoning was in the German market, the TUV was requiring more clearance for things like snow chains. To make that clearance, the wheels were moved out further and the fenders were flared somewhat. These mods wound up being stock for everybody with a 1.5 car, which I'm pretty sure the Turbos are. You might want to ask CX Basis in Germany. They will know for sure.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

It's a 1985 model year, built in 1984 I think. Has flared wheel arches at the front as with all Turbos and post 1983(?) cars.

Hi,

Edwin I have just had fitted some speedy after market rims (Sienna) with 205/55/16 tyres. I can run my skinny fingers between the tyre and the spat - just.

Wish you had posted this a couple of weeks ago - my decision on rims would probably have been the same as yours.

The (expensive) solution to the CX Turbo TRX tyres conundrum-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445381014.484605.jpg

All the best,

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    It's a 1985 model year, built in 1984 I think. Has flared wheel arches at the front as with all Turbos and post 1983(?) cars.
    Yah, I think that's it.

Good in theory until there is a car in front going slower, who you have just caught up to and now your slowing and the weight distribution and g forces are all wrong! Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Remember .... if a CX ever steps out ...... Stand on the "GO" pedal really quickly

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    A gent in WA did a similar thing with Pug 505 TRX rims, machining the outer from a Skyline (IIRC) and the centre from the TRX rim, and having them welded together. Looked great and as far as I know worked well.
    Correct. As I know the story, three pairs were made. One set I don't know the location of. One set on a yellow V6 505 here in Perth. One set on my LTI.

This is the car on some 390mm rims.

This is the car on 16inch rims. My apologies that I don't have many side on views of the car. I love the front, and most of my good shots seem to be from that angle!

Tadpole

Looks good!

Sorry I wasn't a little more proactive Laurie, but it's good to know your wheels fit. Given yours are 6.5 inches but with a 38mm offset I think that means 7 inch wide wheels with a 45mm will actually be ever so slighly further away from the spats - extra 6 or so mm wider on either side than your wheels, but then the centre line will be 7mm further in, making the outside of the wheels 1mm further away from the spats. I think.

In any case I think wheel width barely affects how wide a given tyre will be, which I imagine is the main concern. So that's looking good too. I just need to put a TRX wheel on front and rear hubs temporarily and have a look from under the car to satisfy myself this will definitely work, as I think the inside of my wheels will be about 13mm closer to the suspension arm if I maintain the original offset. Assuming all is well I'll then call the shop to give them the good news!
    Last edited by Edwin; 22nd October 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Edwin,

i don't know if your car has a rear AC unit but the piping for the unit I am fitting comes into the boot via the rear wheel arch. I have yet to check my new rims don't take up too much space so the piping rubs the inside of the tyre.

just something to think of in case you intend to mount a rear AC unit in the future.

Laurie

Thread Information