• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed

Thread: Life expectancy of a 2l diesel turbo engine in a c5

Tadpole

Default Life expectancy of a 2l diesel turbo engine in a c5

Hi folks
    Just wondering what sort of life expectancy one could get from a regularly serviced 2L diesel turbo in a 2009 C5. There is one for sale that has done 282000km. The vehicle has been well looked after and has had regular servicing. I know it is a bit of a random question but I guess there must be certain points when general wear and tear turns into total shutdown! Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Dave

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Possibly an 'easy' 282K if it's mostly been country driving, so you could expect it to show quite modest wear. A city car with quite modest km can be more of a dog than a country or highway high km car. It will be the peripheral items like the alternator and EGR valve that let you down first. At that sort of mileage, most dealers would struggle to get anyone to even open the door unless the price is very attractive, but it may be a better buy than a car with, say, 140K. Usual wear and tear check apply, but look for worn bushes in the front and, gearbox slip and make sure expensive items/options like turning HID headlamps, electric parking brake and the Navidrive audio system work. Also, at 282K, it should have had a particle filter additive refill, but a high proportion of highway driving may make it last much longer than in typical city use, so you may have to pay for that if not done already.

Also look for cambelt replacement that should happen at latest by 180kkm and perhaps also the particulate filter should have been replaced. If you test drive using manual change, it should lock up securely in all gear above second no matter how much power is applied. Check that all the front end ball joints are tight and driveshaft boots in good condition as these are difficult to replace and can be expensive.

I would also ask for a Diagbox full interrogation report to see if there are any active ECU error codes lurking in the backgound. There are a few in my car that I will need to sort soon that do not show up on the CHECK button display.

I bought mine in 2009 and its only done 120kkm so far.

Cheers, Ken W

My experience has been that the engine is the most reliable part of the car and my C5 went to the wreckers with an engine good for a few hundred thousand kms. Other parts are another story
    Gearbox, suspension, ABS, brakes, alloy wheels,ventilation fans,dashboard displays, trim and anything in plastic. That is why I drive a Honda.
    JohnW likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hello tasdave.
    HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? ARE YOU LOOKING IN TASIE ONLY OR OVER THE OTHER PLACE (MAINLAND)?.

Tadpole

Hi Tasie C5,
    I am looking all over the place but to find one in Tas would be great! The one I am looking at is in SA but has done over 280,000km. From what the owner tells me it is a very good example. Haven't seen it in the flesh!
    I am looking at spending up to $12,000 or thereabouts but would rather get one which has done (much) fewer kms and it has to be a wagon!!

Just keep in mind that when these cars were designed in France the cars life expectancy was 8 years. Seriously. Who would buy a new car and keep a car for more than 8 years?
    Cheers..
    P.S. Mine was 10 when I bought it. Still going strong.
    2004 C5 2.9lt V6 petrol.

Tasdave.
    SEARCH FOR CITROEN C5 ON CARSALES TASMANIA. THERE IS A NICE LOOKING WAGGON ON THERE. LESS THAN YOUR PROPOSED BUDGET.
    REGARDS ALLAN.( Give me a call on 0419550169 if I can help.)

Edit. Looks like the car is in Hobart.
    Last edited by tasie C5; 25th October 2015 at 06:12 PM.

Thread Information