D SPEC clutch problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D SPEC clutch problem

I Fitted some 21 pistons to my D Spec a while ago,now I am fitting a 5 speed gearbox.Having clicked them together with 4 screws I now notice that there is insufficient travel on the clutch lever to operate the clutch properly.The engine is fitted with a Fingers Clutch (which I prefer),plus the G/B has the appropriate thrust bearing.Anyone know what is going on here?
    Woody

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Don't you have to adjust that screwed ball for the arm in the bellhousing? Measure the relative positions in the 4 and 5 speed gearboxes and see if there is a large difference. You cant get at the ball once the gearbox is fitted.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David.On the 4S box I measured the distance from the face of the G/B to the ball 110mm.At this point my lazy side prevailed and with the G/B attached I removed the boot on the lever and discovered that I could adjust the Ball by placing slotted washers behind it,it is secured by an M7 bolt accesable on the outside.I will now fit a cable and test using my Manually operated pedal assy.
    Woody

The back side of the thrust bearing probably has some divots where it rides on the clutch fork. Fill those divots with metal and grind them flat. That little bit translates to a lot when installed.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    The back side of the thrust bearing probably has some divots where it rides on the clutch fork. Fill those divots with metal and grind them flat. That little bit translates to a lot when installed.
    If that is, indeed, the problem just replace the bearing. Faster and a lot simpler........

Fellow Frogger

Looking at the parts list and manual, the ball for the clutch lever is the same with both the earlier toggle and alter diaphragm clutch assembly. The manual simply instructs the assembler to fit the ball and that it has a stop pin. No adjustment apparently. What differs is the clutch lever and release bearing. So, while you might be able to alter the position of the ball, you'd also have to make sure you are using the correct lever for the clutch/flywheel fitted. The 5 speed gearbox would have most likely come from a car using a diaphragm clutch, so if you are using the 3 toggle (fingers???) clutch and recessed flywheel, you'd presumably need to also use the lever from the 4 speed you removed and not the lever that might have come with the 5 speed gearbox. I have a memory of this problem in the context of a 1970 DS21 when the original motor was refitted to replace a 21-ised D Special engine (with diaphragm clutch) that it had been running around with when acquired. That might be the cause here.
    Last edited by David S; 18th October 2015 at 01:26 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David your point is well taken,However the 5S Box came from an early D Super with a recessed fly wheel.Everything fits nicely around the lever and thrust bearing inc the spring.I now have a 1.2mm washer behind the Ball and it is tested and working fine.
    SWMBO operates the clutch while I turn the drive flanges!!
    Woody

Fellow Frogger

Good result then.
    If it was originally from an early D Super as opposed to the later renamed 21, that may be the less common close ratio type, which has a lower top gear compared to the DS 4 speed and DS 5 speed items. While you obviously get 5 gears to push around, the top gear ratio may not be much higher than what came with the D Special. The difference is mostly in the C&P set.

Thread Information