Nankang 185 x 80/15R for the DS now available.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Nankang 185 x 80/15R for the DS now available.

Default Nankang 185 x 80/15R for the DS now available.

Fortunately the Nankang 'XVS recreation' is now available in Australia.
    Tyre Power, Bridgestone and Bob Jane so....... pretty well everywhere.
    185 X 80/15R should be around $720 a set including tubes, fitting and balancing & GST.
    Pretty good alternative to the $2000.00 you're looking at for the original Michelins.

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    185 X 80/15R should be around $720 a set including tubes, fitting and balancing & GST.
    Pretty good alternative to the $2000.00 you're looking at for the original Michelins.
    Especially good if you plan on driving anymore than club events and shows.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Just had a quick squizz on their website... what model version / number is it? Couldn't find anything that looks like an XVS tyre... maybe a picture if possible?

Sven

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    Just had a quick squizz on their website... what model version / number is it? Couldn't find anything that looks like an XVS tyre... maybe a picture if possible?

Sven

Thanks for the update Michael

Citroen Classics UK have run a set of these and give them the thumbs up for a budget tyre giving an authentic look on a late D.
    Retro Tyre 185 80R15 93H

https://citroenclassics.wordpress.co...-for-d-models/

They were originally produced with a mirror tread pattern of the XVS but have since been revised to have a near identical XVS tread pattern.

May be a little early for them to appear on Nankang's Aussie website Sven

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Sven,
    Citroen Classics in the UK have done a test on the 185 x 80/15R tyres and given them the thumbs up as a alternative to the Michelins. There isn't anything on their website or on any website other than Citroen Classics that I can find, check their blog for the run down.
    https://citroenclassics.wordpress.com

I rang Nankang's Australian distributor and checked on the availability, they are available at most major retailers based on the information I received. Unsure why they don't have a picture. Anyway, great news for DS drivers.

Chris,
    we must have replied at the same time.

Icon11

Chris,
    we must have replied at the same time.
    Great minds and all that. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Was quoted $175 fitted for the Nankang and $625 for Michelin XVSP today.

The problem is in finding somewhere that has the gear to balance the wheels.

Or should I take some of the advice on this forum, to the effect that balancing is not required?

(Five stud wheels for late model D Special).

AM

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Was quoted $175 fitted for the Nankang and $625 for Michelin XVSP today.

The problem is in finding somewhere that has the gear to balance the wheels.

Or should I take some of the advice on this forum, to the effect that balancing is not required?

(Five stud wheels for late model D Special).

AM
    In the good ol' days after fitting Michelin there was little requirement for balancing - that is as long as your wheel was is good order. I wouldn't say the same is true today and would highly recommend balancing perhaps even more so with the unknown Nankang. . .

I thought Bob Jane outlets could balance the 5 stud wheel

N.B. Citroen Classics UK recommend fitting the Nankang with tubes.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

This is great news for many Citroen DS drivers for sure but I wonder if it will spell the demise of Michelin supplying the correct tyres in the future? I can see even less people buying the Michelins now and with demand down will they carry on production? Should we care..... I can see both sides.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Pommiefrog View Post
    This is great news for many Citroen DS drivers for sure but I wonder if it will spell the demise of Michelin supplying the correct tyres in the future? I can see even less people buying the Michelins now and with demand down will they carry on production? Should we care..... I can see both sides.
    Where does it end, I bought 2 XVS in Australia - all I could afford at the time and close to $1200.00 delivered to my door, some time later Longstone Tyres in the UK had a free freight deal and I purchased 4 XVS delivered for $1320.00. Some might argue that I should support our Australian supplier for the same reasons you state.

With 6 new XVS I hope not to be in the market for a good time yet, but I do look forward to long term reviews of the Nankang. Given here in Australia at least, suitable alternatives have been thin on the ground. There must be a significant markup on the Michelin XVS here - perhaps a little competition may not be a bad thing

Cheers
    Chris
    mberry likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

dammit I'll buy Michelin regardless!
    GreenBlood and Middlemoon.1 like this.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    dammit I'll buy Michelin regardless!
    ... and I'll consider supplying Nankangs with Michelin stickers added to the sidewall at Michelin prices!
    addo likes this.

if they have stickers they're no good.

Fellow Frogger!

I communicated with Nankang about a year ago and they quoted $110 approx a tyre if bought in 100 lots
    For those who are not so good a arithmetic that's 25 cars if you don't need a spare

Fellow Frogger!

Well, if the Citroen Classics review is to be believed, then surely for most (non-purist) D owners the difference between $175 and $625 can't be justified. That's $1,800 for a set that can be spent elsewhere on the car. I think it is called the law of diminishing returns.
    Lasya and addo like this.

That's a lot of coin. And it could go into Australian businesses serving Dee owners.

1000+ Posts

I realise that the suggestion is an alien and previously despised one & that the tyre isn't a Michelin or even a faux-Michelin, but if one is interested in tyre performance, especially in the wet, then the best option of the 3 is Hankook's K715 - still listed by them. Not a wonderful tyre but somewhat more so than other options.

2011 European Summer Tyre Test 175 65 R14 - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter

And won't everyone shout when Michelin decide making the XAS is no longer economic.

It's a personal decision and I respect that - but a cheaper option does not mean better for everyone in the long run.

I am so happy to still be able to but the correct tyres for my car - I'll stick with the XAS if I can.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Pommiefrog likes this.

Michelins prices are OTT so cheaper options from the other companies are no brainers. Good on Nankang for 'copying' the XVS, they call it a Historic tyre don't they? Clearly it will dent the Michelin sales but Michelin knows they have that 'purist' demand from vintage owners and will continue to charge accordingly. Unfortunately! Bastards!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    ... and I'll consider supplying Nankangs with Michelin stickers added to the sidewall at Michelin prices!
    If you really want them to look like genuine Michelins, you need to add some age cracking to the sidewalls.
    addo, Roger Wilkinson and shanadoo like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Michelins prices are OTT so cheaper options from the other companies are no brainers. Good on Nankang for 'copying' the XVS, they call it a Historic tyre don't they? Clearly it will dent the Michelin sales but Michelin knows they have that 'purist' demand from vintage owners and will continue to charge accordingly. Unfortunately! Bastards!
    Nankang was partially owned by Michelin. Probably they still collaborate.
    For a long time in France the tyres for the Panhard and the GS were not available from Michelin but suplied from Nankang. Then Michelin got interested in classis tyres again and re-started manufacture at a price.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    And won't everyone shout when Michelin decide making the XAS is no longer economic.

It's a personal decision and I respect that - but a cheaper option does not mean better for everyone in the long run.

I am so happy to still be able to but the correct tyres for my car - I'll stick with the XAS if I can.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Dudes. . .

Let's face it, those that for whatever reason choose to look to alternatives, will continue to do so. In Australia there really hasn't been too many options other than fitting an incorrect tyre size or a tyre that was designed as a light truck tyre. Those sales were never going to Michelin and those buyers will have had little or no impact on Michelin's bottom line.

We have a select few D owners with exceptional and rare cars, it is almost incumbent on these custodians to maintain the historic originality where they can. They have my respect and should be applauded for doing so.

On the other hand, Peter (4cg), in another thread provided an excellent argument for straying from originality, tyre technology has evolved in the last 40+ years and on evidence there are safer tyres available if you are prepared to run a different size.

Nankang have filled a gap, a tyre that fits the aesthetic, is the correct size, and at a price that allows those not so well shod (intended pun) to keep their cars on the road and safe. I hope the long term reviews are as good as the initial assessments.

Academic for me, I won't be in the market for tyres for a quite a while. . . If I were, I'd shield Bibendum's eyes with my leather elbow patches and smite those that may be offended by anything other than Michelin. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I'll be keen to see what kind of wear I get from my 180x15 XAS michelins, given that they cost a fair whack and my DS is now my regular driver. On the Jubilee run they felt very assured, quiet and extremely grippy on the twisty moist descents through the mountains. I'm glad to know they're on and they certainly suit the car.

Tim

if you were buying a D at top dollar it would have to have Michelins as part of the deal!

Gerry learns me something once more!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7M901Q20111109

Fellow Frogger!

The truth of any tyre matter is they die from age .... crusty old XaS or XvS are no match for something new ( hopefully MADE black and round ) The tyres these days die of age ( Industry suggests 6 years then chuck 'em ) ... so I ask, how many Ds are likely to wear out tyres these days ? ... tread life was not one of my priorities and the Michelins were not top of the class at that either.
    Back in the 70s when Xas were considered THE BEST THING they were good, the XvS looked almost the same yet delivered less tread life ( in return for a higher speed rating ). They all have to be considered as expendable items.
    shanadoo likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information