DS Diamond Anniversary Tour - display day
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By UFO

Thread: DS Diamond Anniversary Tour - display day

UFO

Default DS Diamond Anniversary Tour - display day

Today the DS Diamond Anniversary tour had its final display day at Moss Vale showground. Deb and I and friend Lucy, plus Luis the wonderdog, went for a drive in UFO to join them all for the excellent day. Great weather and lots of chat. Here are the pics - enjoy!

Advertisement

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmm2R93
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Great photos. Would have liked to attend this event, but sadly couldn't make it. Looks like the location made for a good mix of VIC and NSW cars.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Nicely done, Craig. The setting reminds me that Woodley Park is coming up soon for us.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by brycedunn View Post
    Great photos. Would have liked to attend this event, but sadly couldn't make it. Looks like the location made for a good mix of VIC and NSW cars.
    The event made for a good collection of cars - from Qld, NSW, Vic, SA, ACT and Tassie. They even purposely crossed paths with the two touring NZ cars.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Craig, it's a treat to see your pics - - - a great range of D models on what looks to be a perfect day..

John

Fellow Frogger!

This lot of pics is pretty good for us humble lot in Aus. I reckon - - we should be proud.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Having the hospitality of the car clubs along the way, was a highlight for me.
    The roads were rather demanding on the Dees, Mt Hotham and Kangaroo Valley in NSW were steep and long. The simplicity of the D Specials with their short stroke engines would have lapped it up but it was tough on my 1962 Slough Safari being a Long Stroke and with an engine that isn't as strong as it once was.
    I was using the full width of the road on the tight bends to remain in 2nd Gear. On the 25kph bends it was down to 1st and then a long slog up.
    With the lead up to the Hotham climb, a running"race" meant the closing of of one lane. I was lucky to be flagged through just before Harrietville and then any traffic behind was delayed for around 20 minutes. This gave me a run up the mountain without a car in sight behind and infront all the way up. Near the top in the cool air I made the mistake of a photo Stop as I left the engine running and as I made the next steep ascent, petrol vaporisation caused ,well you know what, ---- into 1st and up we went.
    I'm glad I have a strong heart.
    I believe the other Long Strokers went well and my 1961 French ID with a strong engine would have pulled much better. It was fun in the Safari though. Being a Slough (British Assembled) ID, gave the public an example of this model and as we'd taken our dog, Mia, meant that it made it difficult in some caravan parks so with some curtains made up, it was our bed for the night.
    Again, thanks go to the organisers for giving us such a memorable experience.
    Michael and Paula Paas and Mia and a thankyou to David Gries for that bit of sausage you gave to Mia after the farewell breakfast.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    Having the hospitality of the car clubs along the way, was a highlight for me.
    The roads were rather demanding on the Dees, Mt Hotham and Kangaroo Valley in NSW were steep and long. The simplicity of the D Specials with their short stroke engines would have lapped it up but it was tough on my 1962 Slough Safari being a Long Stroke and with an engine that isn't as strong as it once was.
    I was using the full width of the road on the tight bends to remain in 2nd Gear. On the 25kph bends it was down to 1st and then a long slog up.
    With the lead up to the Hotham climb, a running"race" meant the closing of of one lane. I was lucky to be flagged through just before Harrietville and then any traffic behind was delayed for around 20 minutes. This gave me a run up the mountain without a car in sight behind and infront all the way up. Near the top in the cool air I made the mistake of a photo Stop as I left the engine running and as I made the next steep ascent, petrol vaporisation caused ,well you know what, ---- into 1st and up we went.
    I'm glad I have a strong heart.
    I believe the other Long Strokers went well and my 1961 French ID with a strong engine would have pulled much better. It was fun in the Safari though. Being a Slough (British Assembled) ID, gave the public an example of this model and as we'd taken our dog, Mia, meant that it made it difficult in some caravan parks so with some curtains made up, it was our bed for the night.
    Again, thanks go to the organisers for giving us such a memorable experience.
    Michael and Paula Paas and Mia and a thankyou to David Gries for that bit of sausage you gave to Mia after the farewell breakfast.

Yes it would have been fun. I can see that it is a bit more difficult in a long stroke pre-'65 D model in mountainous country. They are out on their own in flat country where they can cruise effortlessly all day at high speeds.

I have two short stroke 1968 cars with the ID19b gearbox which has the higher 4th gear. These cruise well but in mountainous country like the southern Great Ocean Road I need to drop down to 3rd and 2nd gear.

It is then that I think of a D Special or hydraulique with a standard 4 speed box that can mostly do it in 3rd - - - - - - but then on a long trip like going over the Nullarbor one thinks of a 5 speed gearbox, the ID19b gearbox or best of all, a cruiser like your 1962 ID19 Safari which I’ve thrown the picture of below that Craig captured so well. And so, Michael, you were lucky to be part of this great run with such a wonderful family of cars.

John Paas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Diamond Anniversary Tour - display day-id-safari.jpg   DS Diamond Anniversary Tour - display day-cit-jubilee-20015.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 15th October 2015 at 12:26 PM.

Thread Information