front seat differences bet. DS pallas and D special after 65
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mberry

Thread: front seat differences bet. DS pallas and D special after 65

Tadpole

Default front seat differences bet. DS pallas and D special after 65

hi all, I am looking at upgrading my seat covers. I am considering ordering some Pallas covers from overseas to fit my D special foam seat but am not sure whether the two are compatible?
    A certain german site seems to indicate a date when the seats changed to high back (1965?) and also indicates another change between 74 to 75, (at least with the pallas) but I don't know whether the sizes changed or just the style.
    All observations welcome
    Gary

Advertisement

I believe the seats post 71, i.e. all lift up door handle cars such as your D Special are compatible ( on Australian cars ). If you advise the forum the year of your car it may be easier to be more definitive. A word of warning, don't assume the seller in Europe knows what seats your car needs, better you are very specific about what you want.

Post a picture of YOUR seats and someone here can tell you what you have and what you should be shopping for.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

You can also look here.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

My D'Special is a 1974 but I also have a 1970 DS Pallas which I might recover as well. I ask because the shape of the Pallas seats look different to the special (fatter and more rounded at the top). Perhaps the pallas has more stitched foam? into the cover to make it a different shape?

Yes the 70 pallas seats are different to the 74 D special seats.

Fellow Frogger

For the Pallas, the later fabric seats are foam filled and have square tops as for D Special. The actual covering material changed about 1974 from a ribbed velour to a velour pattern that is sometimes referred to as 'little blockies', a waffle like pattern in bands. That is likely the difference for 74> in Pallas fabric trim being referred to. I don't think there's a change for D Special and they would have continued with a plain velour.

mnm

The seats are different. My 1970 DSpecial seats are foam only and more squared off at the top than Pallas seats which have springing. They are more rounded and possibly higher. If you look on the Der Franzose site for example they advertise seat covers for non Pallas and Pallas. I ordered non Pallas for my car. I glued some extra foam on the seats before I fitted the covers to give them a plumper look. Have a look at my DecidedlySpecial reformation thread in the restoration section.

Matthew

Plump is the new skinny. Obesity chic for the ds.
    Like the owners.
    GreenBlood and ds21bvh like this.

Thread Information