• 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 2 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By Peter O

Thread: Significant name change

Default Significant name change

PSA have announced that at the end of the year the CitroŽn DS3 will be replaced by the DS3.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

So I assume, the renaming is to try to give DS series a life outside the Citroen Fold?

Just as Lexus and Infiniti did.

No, you perhaps have missed the point of the change. Peugeot marketing in 2010 decided to address a top of the segment positioning in several segments to access greater margins. They leaned on the DS aura to create a new marque ŗ la Lexus. The first try was the CitroŽn DS3 which was the success that gave them the confidence to roll out the range. It has had unexceptional results in France and Europe generally but has contributed greatly to their China positioning. Progressively the Chinese design studio has widened the range and used the DS marque. In China the DS is a j/v with Changan and CitroŽn is marketed by the j/v with Dongfeng and assembled in different factories.
    The decision to rename the DS3 globally is the mark in the sand that DS is no longer a sub-brand and that the CitroŽn image has to be re-born without the Dťesse heritage.
    JohnW and Kenfuego like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    No, you perhaps have missed the point of the change. Peugeot marketing in 2010 decided to address a top of the segment positioning in several segments to access greater margins. They leaned on the DS aura to create a new marque ŗ la Lexus. The first try was the CitroŽn DS3 which was the success that gave them the confidence to roll out the range. It has had unexceptional results in France and Europe generally but has contributed greatly to their China positioning. Progressively the Chinese design studio has widened the range and used the DS marque. In China the DS is a j/v with Changan and CitroŽn is marketed by the j/v with Dongfeng and assembled in different factories.
    The decision to rename the DS3 globally is the mark in the sand that DS is no longer a sub-brand and that the CitroŽn image has to be re-born without the Dťesse heritage.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Translate this from the corporate strategy marketing jargon into English as you wish.
    Peugeot: ťlťgance, allure et ťmotion
    CitroŽn: optimiste, humaine et intelligente.
    DS: l’avant-garde, le raffinement et la technologie

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Translate this from the corporate strategy marketing jargon into English as you wish.
    DS: líavant-garde, le raffinement et la technologie
    DS: Definitely Shite
    DS: Dreadful Suspenion
    DS: Downright Shameful

THIS is a DS

ds21bvh and lozenge like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Appreciate you objective input . Given the choice, I too would take the earlier version.
    Ronhic likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

I totally agree with your sentiments. Therefore if I would like a small Citroen, I would restore one of these

Hotrodelectric and Ronhic like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

I guess it figures that the only market where this could succeed is the one where there is no real history of Citroen prior to 2010. There's too many of us out there that have experience with the DS and what that actually means. The French have figured it out, the European market has figured it out, hell, even the Americans have figured it out. The Chinese though? This isn't an indictment of their tastes, there have been a few interruptions over the last 70 years. But if China was the ultimate goal, as it seems to have been, why on earth did PSA feel it so necessary to thoroughly insult devoted Citroenistes the world over? Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply make the DS range a China-only thing? And seriously- PSA cannot figure out why the DS range wasn't as wildly successful as the marketing department insisted? I've said this before- you cannot rip off an iconic name and glue it onto the overblown Peugeot of your choice. And separating the heritage from the marque? PSA may as well just kill the marque completely- actually, that would be a kindness- and start up with something completely new. I don't know- call it a Mors. They certainly have little left to lose at this point.
    gerrypro likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

"Call it a Mors." Love it. What about Panhard? No, hold on, pronunciation.... Chinese might be a tonal language but there are limits.
    gerrypro and Hotrodelectric like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    "Call it a Mors." Love it. What about Panhard? No, hold on, pronunciation.... Chinese might be a tonal language but there are limits.
    Toujours la Mors
    JohnW likes this.

ROFL Really good Gerry.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    ... call it a Mors. They certainly have little left to lose at this point.
    And the motto would be

drum roll

Mors is less!!

Last edited by Peter O; 9th October 2015 at 02:12 AM. Reason: formatting
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    And the motto would be

drum roll

Mors is less!!

I hadn't thought of that. I'm still pretty PO'd at the whole debacle. It didn't need to happen.

But that was cute. I needed the laugh. Thanks.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

Nailed it Shane.... you can also add.

Downright Silly.

Hey let's just pinch the name of the "Design of Last Century" and stick it on something else just to try and flog a few more of them even though it has nothing to do with the orginal car.

People won't notice will they....?

Cheers,

Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I guess it figures that the only market where this could succeed is the one where there is no real history of Citroen prior to 2010. There's too many of us out there that have experience with the DS and what that actually means. The French have figured it out, the European market has figured it out, hell, even the Americans have figured it out. The Chinese though? This isn't an indictment of their tastes, there have been a few interruptions over the last 70 years. But if China was the ultimate goal, as it seems to have been, why on earth did PSA feel it so necessary to thoroughly insult devoted Citroenistes the world over? Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply make the DS range a China-only thing? And seriously- PSA cannot figure out why the DS range wasn't as wildly successful as the marketing department insisted? I've said this before- you cannot rip off an iconic name and glue it onto the overblown Peugeot of your choice. And separating the heritage from the marque? PSA may as well just kill the marque completely- actually, that would be a kindness- and start up with something completely new. I don't know- call it a Mors. They certainly have little left to lose at this point.
    The Chinese are wild for the original DS. One of the cars from Area 52 went to China.

Default DS4 Experience

DS: líavant-garde, le raffinement et la technologie
    Just got back from an 18 day driveEUROPE DS4 (diesel-6 speed) 3300km lease experience through France/Spain.

In comparison to the Vauxhall Astra we hired in Scotland, the DS4 was miles in front. Hooking along the autopistas in Spain and have a DS5 overtake you doing in the region of 200km/hr - its lines and movement was magic.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm happy to move with the new stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Significant name change-img_1512%5B1%5D.jpg   Significant name change-img_1433%5B1%5D.jpg   Significant name change-img_1514%5B1%5D.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Thread Information