• 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 2 Post By UFO

Thread: Bugger! C5 X7 windscreen

UFO

Icon8 Bugger! C5 X7 windscreen

On my way home yesterday a truck came onto the main drag from a BHP Billiton depot at Port Kembla and it must have had some gravel wedged in a tyre. I was behind it soon after and heard a bloody great WHACK as (now obviously) a stone hit the lower left side of the 'screen just in line with where it meets the leading edge of the dashboard. Couldn't see it at the time as I was busy driving and the car was filthy.

I was washing the car this morning and SURPRISE! Not only a good sized chip but it has run down and left and up to the centre line of the 'screen.

I will be making a claim via my lease company for an insurance replacement. Any comments from others with experiences getting a C5 X7 'screen replaced?

Windscreens O'Brien?

Advertisement
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If I were paying out of my own pocket I wouldn't have Wo'b on my mind. Reliably the most expensive company in my experience.

Try one of smaller companies where the owner does the fitting.

You are bound to get some endorsements for a privateer in further posts

Bad Luck Craig,

Sue and I copped a tap on the windscreen from a stone from a truck on the way to Noosa a few days ago but luckily no damage. I still have my original C5 windscreen but I did have to put a new one in one of the Xantias after it got hit by a something that flew out of the back of a tradey ute on the Story Bridge a few years ago. Windscreen O'Brien fitted a new windscreen sourced from China which seems to be going OK. So long as you have windscreen coverage on your insurance, or your lease company will take a windscreen invoice direct, all you need to do is ring windscreen o'brien and they will bill your provider direct.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

I had one gouged by a vandal and the insurance co had to get a genuine one from France (because it's rain sensitive and tinted). It took about 6 weeks to come in. The fitter (a mobile bloke who works for body repairers) commented that only genuine Cit was suitable also.

Contact BHP, area where the truck was operating, they often have insurance for this type of incident

If there is genuinely "no excess" coverage then I would not only insist on a genuine screen but new trims - look on SC to see if there is a fitting kit that replaces trims slightly damaged in screen replacement.

My C5 x7 had the same happen near Esperance WA when visiting family in Perth. The screen held together OK until we got back to Tasie. The crack slowly progressed across the screen.
    I got a quote from Novus, having used them before. The insurer (Suncorp) wanted O'Brians to fit the screen using a none genuine screen. After a protracted negotiation a genuine one was fitted by Novus. The screen cost around $800. The total cost was about $1200.
    The screen was stocked in Sydney. I believe there were no after market ones available. I was very concerned that an after market screen would not be up to OEM specs.
    Good luck with your insurer.
    Allan.
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger

There are 5 clips either side that hold on the screen trim. Some of them will break when the trim is removed and they are expensive, so that's a consideration.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    I was very concerned that an after market screen would not be up to OEM specs.
    Good luck with your insurer.
    Allan.
    Allan, you don't have to worry about local windscreen manufacturers, they are compelled by legislation to only produce screens which comply with all the regulations. The local manufacturers make screens to a better standard than some of the original screens. This is especially true if you own a Mercedes.
    I worked for NOVUS for over 5 years, but that was about 20 years ago, so my info would need updating to be sure. Cheers.

1000+ Posts

I and my repairer will be amazed if you can find a local screen for an X7.

Maybe worth looking at.
    55679 Citroen C5 Sedan 2008 TO 2009 X7 Front Windscreen NEW | eBay
    $255
    Aftermarket from Autoglass warehouse, out of Brisbane but they do have two warehouses in Sydney.
    shanadoo likes this.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

UFO

This car is insured with QBE (through the lease) and they have an arrangement with O'Briens. So it's booked in for a little later this month for its screen replacement. I have advised them on the booking about the trim clips. Thanks for that advice.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If they're anything like all the other insurers they will totally ignore the details of what you said.

If they can't cough up the clips (see picture, item 81) then I would stop the job with screen out.

Bugger!  C5 X7 windscreen-x7_pare_brise_1.jpg
    shanadoo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Watch they don't use double sided mastic tape as a fixing for the trim.
    shanadoo likes this.

I've seen them just use gobs of the black screen sealant.
    shanadoo likes this.

Oh yeah, BHP would be very interested in that one!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    This car is insured with QBE (through the lease) and they have an arrangement with O'Briens. So it's booked in for a little later this month for its screen replacement. I have advised them on the booking about the trim clips. Thanks for that advice.
    Have had two windscreens done through O'Briens, they are very good!

UFO

This morning I dropped the car at the near to work (Wollongong) O'Brien's at 8am. I then walked to work.

At 9:02 they phoned to tell me the job was done and I could collect the car after 10am. Wow! They also asked if the wiper assemblies were recently replaced - I told them I was about to phone EAI to order some new ones and was told O'Brien's had the two parts in stock and it was $60 for the pair. Done!

At lunchtime I walked over and collected the car. I paid my $200 excess plus the $60 for the wiper assemblies and also asked questions about supply of a screen for the D.

I got into the car and found that they had even supplied a new stick on pad for the e-tag but left that for me to fit where I prefer. Oil change sticker and staff carpark sticker were also moved over by the fitter.

EXCELLENT customer service from the friendly team at Windscreens O'Brien in Wollongong.

Of course on the way home it rained enough to make the screen spotty/dirty. Damn!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Is the screen a match for the old one? I was told repeatedly it couldn't be done, and the insurance paid for a genuine one

BTW, the wiper blades weren't a bargain.

Are you waiting, too, for the "My auto wipers/lights have stopped working" post?
    shanadoo likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post

BTW, the wiper blades weren't a bargain.
    You know what? They had them, they fitted them, and they're a damn site and sight better than the old ones. I didn't need to go to Supercheap etc etc. M'eh - I'm getting lazy in my older age. And the price was not that much greater than the last pair I remember buying.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Are you waiting, too, for the "My auto wipers/lights have stopped working" post?
    And I know the wipers work well because - it rained on the way home and the auto function worked perfectly. As I drove into the underground carpark at work after picking the car up yesterday the headlights worked too.
    GreenBlood and Fingers like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information