Indicator woes...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Indicator woes...

Hi all...

I drive a C3 and have a bit of a problem with my turn indicator. Sometimes, having made a left hand turn, the indicator fails to self-cancel, and I have to flick it back to the neutral position myself. I remember reading somewhere in a road-test of the C3 I found somewhere on the net, a journalist remarking that the car he test-drove presented him with the same annoying problem. It seemingly never happens having made a right hand turn.

Advertisement

Any other C3'ers out there have this problem? I'm definitely gonna mention it next time my baby's in for a service.

Cheers...

Jake
    Dreaming of "Lucille", my C3...

1000+ Posts

Jake,

The indicator stalk you have is called a COM2000 and is a shared part between most new Pugs and Citroens including the 307, Xsara (multiplex only), C5 and the C3.

That stalk has been known to be develop such a fault in the past. Yours is the first C3 I have heard of it occuring in though.

It is generally caused by someone forcing it to stay in the "indicating" position whilst turning the wheel. You'll get a new one under warranty, but in the future try to make sure you never hold the stalk - just move it to its desired position and let it move of its own accord. Our C3 is 16 months old and it's never happened to us

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Hi all...

I drive a C3 and have a bit of a problem with my turn indicator. Sometimes, having made a left hand turn, the indicator fails to self-cancel, and I have to flick it back to the neutral position myself. I remember reading somewhere in a road-test of the C3 I found somewhere on the net, a journalist remarking that the car he test-drove presented him with the same annoying problem. It seemingly never happens having made a right hand turn.

Any other C3'ers out there have this problem? I'm definitely gonna mention it next time my baby's in for a service.

Cheers...

Jake

Self cancelling indicators??

Proper Cits don't have such rubbish!!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Derek,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I forgot to mention before that it is only an intermittent problem, thus it doesn't happen all of the time. Would you still say it's due to the same reason? Also, whilst I've got a C3 driver listening and attentive, do you ever experience a sort of "creaking" sound emanating from the mid-cabin (b[?]) pillars when you drive over a moderate sized bump or some such? I know any car's likely to creak and groan a little over time, but given I only bought my beast in September of last year I'm a little surprised that she's done so so quickly.

Best Cheers,

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Jake,

The indicator stalk you have is called a COM2000 and is a shared part between most new Pugs and Citroens including the 307, Xsara (multiplex only), C5 and the C3.

That stalk has been known to be develop such a fault in the past. Yours is the first C3 I have heard of it occuring in though.

It is generally caused by someone forcing it to stay in the "indicating" position whilst turning the wheel. You'll get a new one under warranty, but in the future try to make sure you never hold the stalk - just move it to its desired position and let it move of its own accord. Our C3 is 16 months old and it's never happened to us

Derek.
    Dreaming of "Lucille", my C3...

Jake, welcome to aussiefrogs.I also have a C3 that is over 12 months old.Mine going over bumps makes al kinds of craks and noises. I find that tis is just part of the cars character.
    It doesnt really bother me much. If you drive with the radio of and have the cabin silent you will find it is overall a very quiet car for its size.
    Is your car auto or manual?
    Mine has done nearly 35000k now and is really "singing to me".....
    Serviced regularly, various proxia downloads, oil changes. Keep it serviced.
    I think these creaks and noises are part of the car. Im not sure if my car sufers these issues with indicators...

1000+ Posts

I know of COM2000's that have had an intermittent problem too... and from what I've been told by repuatable people, it is all related to what I said above. The COM2000 manufacturer has now been changed, and from what I understand new parts do not have such problems anymore.

I don't drive the C3 (1.4l manual exclusive) very often, but the last time I did I remember being surprised at just how taut and well put together it is. There's not a single sound inside the car, no matter what kind of road surface you drive on. It makes my own car (306XSi) sound like a rorty, squeaky, rattly, noisy speed machine (which maybe it is ).

Our C3 has done 27 000km, with a fair amount of dirt road/country driving as well. We're very impressed with how well the door seals keep all the dust out. They have to be part of the reason the car's so silent at speed as well. How a car with no underbonnet insulation can be so quiet really stuns me.

Glad I could be of service. I hope you stay around and enjoy our fine forum. There's a Melbourne social event organised for Saturday - come along and you may even see me there (unsure if I'll make it as yet, I have a fair way to travel).

Derek
    Last edited by DeKa; 24th March 2004 at 07:20 AM. Reason: I "taught" myself lol

The COM2000 manufacturer has now been changed,
    Ahh yes, the bad one went bankrupt

and from what I understand new parts do not have such problems anymore.
    The jury's still out on that One thing's for sure, the problems aren't as common. I think it's a combination of poor engineering and poor manufacturing practises. It is strange how after 2+ years that the problem can still exist.

I have a new one (one week old today) and it's showing the same fault I had with my original one (this is my third). When using the indicator to change lanes (going left), it sometimes flashes the headlight here and there. The good news is it feels quite solid with a well damped action.

I had the second COM2000 replaced because it had a habit of over correcting after right hand turns (eg. around a roundabout). Instead of returning to the neutral position, it'd start indicating left!

COM2000 problems vary widely. Some lose their self cancelling action, some cause strange lighting behaviour, some just won't indicate, etc, etc. It is extremely well known amongst Peugeot people - I don't know any part in a modern Pug that is so well known by its internal name.

The V3 & V7 COM2000 model seem to cause the most trouble (COM2000s come in different models - eg. trip computer Y/N, auto lights Y/N, etc.) Peugeot has just brought 300 into the country, we'll see how long they last. In fact the COM2000 problem is so common, Peugeot doesn't even want them back (unlike most warranty parts).

One thing's for sure - make sure you get yours fixed or replaced before the warranty is up. Why? Ask your friendly Citroen parts rep for the price of a new unit...

Glad I could be of service. I hope you stay around and enjoy our fine forum. There's a Melbourne social event organised for Saturday - come along and you may even see me there (unsure if I'll make it as yet, I have a fair way to travel).
    He'd have to travel just as far as you

Only thing is, he'll use a wee bit less fuel than you too

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Hi all...

Cheers...

Jake
    You might just get to like it if you wait a while. Our Renault R8 self cancelling died about 30 years ago and it's better on roundabouts, as the rh clicking continues as you swing left before swinging right! After a while, the manual cancelling becomes automatic (homo sapiens training!).

I know exactly how to fix the R8, but I've learned (quite easily) just to operate manual cancelling.

I have a vague recollection of Simca Arondes having a timer on the flashers too. Froggies not represented! Maybe should be another thread.....

JohnW

JohnW

I know of COM2000's that have had an intermittent problem too... and from what I've been told by repuatable people, it is all related to what I said above. The COM2000 manufacturer has now been changed, and from what I understand new parts do not have such problems anymore.

I don't drive the C3 (1.4l manual exclusive) very often, but the last time I did I remember being surprised at just how taught and well put together it is. There's not a single sound inside the car, no matter what kind of road surface you drive on. It makes my own car (306XSi) sound like a rorty, squeaky, rattly, noisy speed machine (which maybe it is ).

Derek
    Derek,

I know they're pretty intelligently designed, but this is the first time I knew you could train them! Did you mean "taut"?

JohnW

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    He'd have to travel just as far as you

Only thing is, he'll use a wee bit less fuel than you too
    Gee I didn't have a good one yesterday, spelling mistakes (thanks John, fixed now!) thinking he was in Melbourne when he's in Sydney. Gee Derek

Derek.

Icon8 Its not just the Indicator stalk

That stalk has been known to be develop such a fault in the past. the indicator stalk you have is called a COM2000 and is a shared part between most new Pugs and Citroens including the 307, Xsara (multiplex only), C5 and the C3.
    -------------------------------------------
    We recently rented a newish C5 in pommy land and the other stalk that controls the display screen stuffed up too. Probably made by the same supplier as the com20000??

I would get that one repaced as well under warranty (while you can). Tell em its playing up intermitantly.

What a piece of crap that HDI C5 was. I guess Citroen is going the same way as MicroSoft where the 3rd version of any new product is the bug-free one!!
    So many projects - so little time.

My 2c worth - had this exact problem on my 2002 Xsara. They wouldn't cancel; but "nudging" the stalk worked.
    Took in the car and was replaced under warranty.
    Speaking of creaks, the driver's door clip has snapped something or other on my car and the panel always "falls" off. Ah, the joys of Euro ownership...

So when have C5's C3's Xsaras and 307's been installed with the "better" com2000 multiplex system? Are they proven to be any better like less faults???

Cya Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    Self cancelling indicators??

Proper Cits don't have such rubbish!!

Paul
    hey Paul, does this mean that my CX is a "real " Citroen?
    I thought it was anyway.
    Cheers...George.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey
    Speaking of creaks, the driver's door clip has snapped something or other on my car and the panel always "falls" off. Ah, the joys of Euro ownership...
    This seems to a common problem on the Xsara. The door trims always start to pop off, especially the top back of the doors on the 2 door cars. The door clips can be replaced under warranty. Have this problem on my VTS and the VTR that I had previously.

Troy.

Thread Information