Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 2 Post By David S

Thread: Time for oil change.

Default Time for oil change.

Hi Froggies,
    I've looked through all the service records I have for my C5 and I can't see any record of the engine oil ever having been replaced in about the last 2 to 3 years.
    The oil still looks new, very clean colour, but I think I should change it so I have a starting point, and I know which oil I have.
    The owners manual says only to use TOTAL.. ( but of course) however I would like to know if anyone here has any particular suggestions regarding engine oil , brand, type, grade etc.
    Cheers... George 1/8th.

Advertisement

2004 C5 2.9 Litre V6. Petrol.

Hi George,

Repco sometimes has Nulon 15W-40 on special at about $17 for 5 litres, and that’s what I use.
    Before that, I used Valvoline 15W-40 but it was causing blow-by around the filler cap.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Fellow Frogger

Citroen will suggest 5W40 or 5W30 full synthetic for the ES9 engine in the C5 V6 - refer the handbook. Something like Castrol Edge would do the job if you prefer not to chase Total. Depends how you use the car, but it should be OK for 15-20K. I put 15W40 into the XM with a PRV engine and would use it in a Xantia TU engine, but it's probably a bit on the heavy side for an EW10 4 cylinder in a C5. The PRV didn't seem to like Nulon 15W40 and rattled on startup a little, which was never a problem with the Castrol Magnatec.

Oddly, the latest Repco catalogue has 20L Edge 5W30 for $199 (save $30), but I've bought 5l bottles for well under $50 on special. Some strange pricing there.

If the maker suggests a 5W30 oil then a 15W oil is way to thick for engine startup. In fact you can damage your engine. The 5W gives you easier starting
    When the engine rattles at start, the oil has not reached the vital points and is causing metal to metal damage.
    Suggest refill with what the maker recommended

Thanks Guys, I'll be going 5w 30 or 5w40. cheers...

2004 C5 V6 .

Default Engine Oil

God only knows how many arguments with dealer service managers over oil the latest was with my DS3 Cabrio I buy all my oil from Total without any problems in its use and price the only problem i have with the DS3 are the Dealer service the car manual is quite specific Total 5w/30 Quartz Ineo Ecs it is the only B712290 CERTIFIED LOW SAPS oil that is recommended by Peugeot and Citroen, I always take my own Total and make sure that my Oil goes in my DS3 as for the manager he had the audacity to bill me for my oil as per invoice and the bit where the charge waste Disposal & supplies $18.00. after waiting for my service i was approached by a person a so called service manager advised me that Citroen Aus now advised that I should be use 0w/30 oil and put that on the end of the Invoice, I have never been contacted in regard to change oil by Citroen Australia, when i asked the service manager as to the problem he replied "something about dust and ash" the answer by me was so it all bullshit, he walked away, must admit that dealer/service are a keen lot they do a lot, what they don't know is that I carry a small recorder, to all in aussiefrogs take care, its your Car and your money,In a smoko time I was outside pacing up and down, when a young man struck up and we had a good yarn, it appears that i am not liked by the management when i went a bit further he replied because you know to much, I am about 70+ years young and in 50 years never booked for any issue. not even parking issue.
    Taking back, on a sheet paper look at your car clean it, and DO NOT ALLOW DEALERS any sense, they are just
    idiots sales persons who cant get right, and you contact your citroen or Peugeot, be for you contact the Dealer. Tony

Fellow Frogger

Workshops tend to try to use their own bulk oil where possible. The low ash oil is relevant to diesel cars with a particle filter and then only because it can shorten the service life of the particle filter and maybe clag up the EGR circuit more than might otherwise happen. It's not an issue with the petrol engines, but the oil specified for the EP6 engines is still quite specific, likely related to emissions.

FWIW I've always used Penrite products based on what they recommend in every car I have owned.

But I change the engine oil and filter every 7500 km and auto trans fluid every 22500 km.(every 3rd engine oil change)

I've just Sold the Estima V6 at 140,000 km and it was using less than 250ml between oil changes.
    Last edited by robmac; 2nd October 2015 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks for all your responses guys. I can't believe the difference this has made. As I said earlier, I couldn't find any mention in the cars history of any oil change.
    This afternoon I changed the engine oil. Before I did this, at idle, this engine sounded like a diesel. The oil looked clean on the dipstick. It came out pure black however.
    I used Penrite 5w30. Pure magic. The motor is now beautifully quiet and smooth. At the next oil change I'll replace the oil filter too.
    Cheers... George 1/8th.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Thanks for all your responses guys. I can't believe the difference this has made. As I said earlier, I couldn't find any mention in the cars history of any oil change.
    This afternoon I changed the engine oil. Before I did this, at idle, this engine sounded like a diesel. The oil looked clean on the dipstick. It came out pure black however.
    I used Penrite 5w30. Pure magic. The motor is now beautifully quiet and smooth. At the next oil change I'll replace the oil filter too.
    Cheers... George 1/8th.
    It's good for the conscience too.

At the next oil change I'll replace the oil filter too.
    Cheers... George 1/8th.

Now thats what i call economy.

Jo
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

You didn't say, but I am hoping, you replaced the oil filter too when you changed the oil. If the oil drained was black, the inside of the filter could be starting to clog. Even if you did change it, do it again with the next early oil change, as the new oil will most likely clean out a lot of residual deposits to be trapped by the filter.

Richard

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Now thats what i call economy.

Jo
    Real economy would be to filter the old oil through a rolled up newspaper and put it back in for another go around.

Any Yorkshiremen handy?

Part of the improvement in this case could relate to the variable timing. The engines can be rough and noisy if the variable timing components are lazy. Fresh oil might have helped that.
    addo likes this.

Yer can always pick a Yorkshiremen, he'd be the one with his underpants on back-t-front or inside out...

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Yer can always pick a Yorkshiremen, he'd be the one with his underpants on back-t-front or inside out...
    Both at the same time = Scottish.
    59 Floride and JohnW like this.

Cheers... George 1/8th.
    NEXT time???? Not NOW??
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Dealers get service bulletins all the time. This ensures customers get the best possible life from their vehicle.
    Car companies do not advertise these and they are picked in the normal course of business.

A recommendation to change to 0W oil may be due to an engine design fault where engine clearances were too tight or the emissions are too high...aka VW

A typical service bulletin for Citroen looks like
    Citroen Service Bulletins - PdfSR.com

The dealers also ensure all safety bulletins are fixed, for a DS3 say where the front suspension breaks off

AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations

My services have all been by the dealer, Motors Launceston. The early service stickers were for Mobil1 oil. The last two were Total stickers.
    So I assume they may have been instructed by Sime Derby to comply with original specs.
    The car is out of warrantee, so there are no "wrong oil" repercussions.
    Its good to know that the service agent complies with original requirements.

Thread Information