• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Boyracer
  • 2 Post By UFO

Thread: 3.0 C5 with stiff suspension

Default 3.0 C5 with stiff suspension

Howdy all,

My 2011 3.0 C5 Touring has been suffering from stiff suspension for a while. I had assumed that the spheres were low on pressure....but I'm led to believe that some of the electronics in the hydractive suspension can contribute to this symptom.

Am I overthinking this, and I aught to just change the spheres?

Advertisement

Regards,
    Rhys

All spheres on these models are double membrane and should last 10 years easily - however David S says you can pop them if you hit big bumps too hard. Most Citroen service place should be able to test the pressure in them so long as they have the electronics to depressurise the system.

I also have a feeling that mine is also firmer at times. The suspension computer is reporting an error that it does not always get a speed signal (??? to speedo work OK as does the auto box) but it seems to switch most of the time. The error does not come up when the dash Check button is activated. You can hear the solenoids humming as they do on a hydractive Xantias but it seems to be at a higher frequency on the C5 X7 and not as obvious. You should be able to hear them when you open a door.

Cheers, Ken W

How are your tyres? I recently re-shoed all four corners and was amazed how much lighter and softer the car felt.
    addo likes this.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

I have the optional 19" rims with Michelin tyres (new).....and they are pretty firm. This issue relates to the suspension - without question.

Cheers,
    Rhys

If you can take off a sphere you could get it pressure tested. My 3ltr C5 was 10 years old when I got it last December, and I removed both front spheres. I checked their pressure and both were still right on spec. 55 bar I think.
    Turn off the sport suspension mode, that should give you a softer ride. Some people fit xantia spheres to their C5s in Europe to get a softer ride.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Some people fit xantia spheres to their C5s in Europe to get a softer ride.
    George, you interest me with this.
    Do you have any links. please?
    How do they achieve this when the Xantia uses LHM (green fluid) and the C5 uses LDS (orange). I had always been given to understand that the two of them were not compatible and not to be mixed.
    Of interest as I am thinking that the original spheres on our C5 (12 years old) may need replacing.

Thanks in anticipation
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Hi Peter O,
    I saw it on youtube. Just go there and type in " xantia spheres on C5" or softer ride for C5. But I would not drill into the baffles like this clown does.

The spheres are totally compatible. Keep whatever fluid the car has. A good sphere does not contain any fluid. So there is no problem.
    Get your spheres tested and replace if necessary.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    How do they achieve this when the Xantia uses LHM (green fluid) and the C5 uses LDS (orange). I had always been given to understand that the two of them were not compatible and not to be mixed.
    Of interest as I am thinking that the original spheres on our C5 (12 years old) may need replacing.

Thanks in anticipation
    I'm planning on trailing Comfort spheres on our 2002 HDi - I have a set of rears (thanks jaahn) but will probably get a set of fronts too
    HYDRACTIVE 3

Once on the car I'll report back . . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Try setting the car on max height and leave overnight. Sort of initializes the suspension ecu maybe. All I know is that mine softens up nicely after doing that and I'm running 2003 spheres.
    Tony.

I actually wonder how effective softer spheres would be when the suspension travel is not that great in any case.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post

Thanks in anticipation
    It is the fluids that are incompatible - the membranes are fine. Therefore do not put LHM in a C5 of any sort (of C6) and do not put LDS in anything pre C5/C6. Simples!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    I actually wonder how effective softer spheres would be when the suspension travel is not that great in any case.
    Yeah, I don't know either Michael. . .
    The spheres on our car are the original (13 years young) so it's hard to gauge how the ride might have deteriorated in that time - or not. I took advantage of Jaahn's offer of free rear spheres via the forum.

From the UK site, (strangely, in quite broken English), it appears that fitting rears only is not a problem. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Shop UK
    C5
    C5 I and II until 2008 ( No made for C5 Type (X7) from 2008 )

The IFHS Factory has developed the sphere SUSPENSION "COMFORT" that allows
    improving the comfort of your vehicle. (Depreciation has been softened by about 15%.)
    They are specially reserved for sensitive people back and quickly found their customers.
    Note: Comfort spheres are not recommended for sportive conduct but they can be mounted that the back of the vehicle
    C5 Comfort Spheres

Worth a shot, little to lose as I would be replacing the original spheres some time soon anyway. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Try setting the car on max height and leave overnight. Sort of initializes the suspension ecu maybe. All I know is that mine softens up nicely after doing that and I'm running 2003 spheres.
    Tony.
    That sounds interesting Tony. I'll try that myself. Cheers...

UFO

Hydraulic Cits seem to benefit from the occasional Citrobics session. I mean who doesn't appreciate a bit of up and down action every now and then to keep things in motion?
    shanadoo and renoamust like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information