le ID19 engine test bed
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wilrex
  • 1 Post By wilrex

Thread: le ID19 engine test bed

Default le ID19 engine test bed

First test run today. This engine was decrepit, broken rings, scoured sleeve, rusted in parts, not nice to look at. Now fitted with new rings, new big end shells, new timing chain,a sleeve donated by Shane, new water pump, and more. all fittings gone over, cleaned and checked, cylinders honed. Fitted a new oil pressure gauge (had to make a fitting, could not find where an oil light sender might have been) , new temperature gauge (old one broken sender tube).

On first run, found oil leak in rear (half round) section of sump. will have to come off. not good.
    Compression 140-150 psi, (dome top pistons ex Shane) good.
    Oil pressure 40 psi, thought it would be better, it is also wavering a little (more of a tick) (seems like either pressure regulator or main bearings) Would bet on the regulator bypassing. Will check it again when sump off.
    Got very hot, nearly boiled, (no fan fitted, round belt drive to pump, engine tight, timing by ear only, overfilled radiator)

Overall, a good test run.
    Not sure about how to adjust the Solex carby in proper sequence.
    Can not see anywhere to read the timing light. Might mark the pulley on the camshaft and multiply by two.

Rex

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails le ID19 engine test bed-photo.jpg  
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

So, now to be fitted to the Jensen Healey in the pic?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

timing ... you need the bell housing on. There is a timing hole there, that you can pass a rod through that denotes TDC

Hey Roger, what do you think of the pink cars motor having domed pistons. I never noticed, even though it sat there with the head off for years!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Hey Roger, what do you think of the pink cars motor having domed pistons. I never noticed, even though it sat there with the head off for years!
    Wow. Did you donate the motor to Rex?

I always thought the motor in the black ID19 was the strongest longstroke D motor I have ever experienced.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    So, now to be fitted to the Jensen Healey in the pic?
    One ID19 carby should be easier to tune than four 45mm Delortos, don't you think, or perhaps the Lotus 907 would look good in the Citroen?
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    ... I always thought the motor in the black ID19 was the strongest longstroke D motor I have ever experienced. ...
    Weren't Holden pistons one of the period go-faster items???

I always thought the motor in the black ID19 was the strongest longstroke D motor I have ever experienced.

Roger
    The donated motor had a broken casting in the block, the bearings and timing chain were at end of life, rings ditto, but the bore was good, and so have used one sleeve from it. All sleeves have been lightly honed, still standard, and the domed pistons (std) fitted to the other block with the crankshaft from the donated engine. The camshaft is not interchangeable , although both are for the single piston pump. Everything is within tolerance, so should be Ok. Thanks Shane...
    The flywheel had a damaged ring gear so was not used, but used the clutch plate and the pressure plate which were better than mine.
    The gearbox has been dismantled and the crown wheel and pinion checked and backlash reset. All in good order.

Rex

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Roger
    It's the motor from the pink car. It was obviously a DS19 motor in it .... Or the factory somehow accidently fitted domed pistons (more likely). As the numbers matched.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilrex View Post
    One ID19 carby should be easier to tune than four 45mm Delortos, don't you think, or perhaps the Lotus 907 would look good in the Citroen?
    If you can keep it from blowing oil all over tha place via the valve cover, yes, a 907 would be pretty impressive.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    If you can keep it from blowing oil all over tha place via the valve cover, yes, a 907 would be pretty impressive.
    This JH has the thick gaskets, eliminates the problem (or nearly anyway)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails le ID19 engine test bed-image.jpg  

Apologies for the upside down photo. Should know better by now. Must try harder... Only out of ipad, same photo in laptop OK!
    Rex...

Thread Information