Considering buying a C5 Wagon 2008
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Considering buying a C5 Wagon 2008

Hi folks
    I am considering buying a C5 wagon and there are a couple on the market that I am interested in. One is a 2009 Exclusive 2L diesel that has done around 90,000km and the other a 2011 Comfort diesel with similar mileage. Just wondering what I should be looking for if anything - and to those that have had or still are driving one of these - what do you think of them?!
    Is there much difference between the Comfort and the Exclusive apart from trim levels?
    What sort of costs are involved with servicing - particularly around the 100,000km mark?
    Well thanks for your time.
    Dave

Advertisement

Dave, from my own recent experience I can advise two things:

1: Plan to spend a couple of thou or so on getting it sorted and right as soon as you buy it. This can include a check and or replacement of the "FAP" or particulate filter. If the car has done more short runs than long cruises it's entirely possible the filter will be partially blocked. Also be prepared to take it to a proper Citroen mechanic who can do a thorough diagnostic check and advise on anything else that is looming. Service history is all important but it's good insurance to have all the fluids changed right away so you know they're the right ones from then on.

2: Buy one and enjoy it. As I've found the wagon is simply one of the great highway cruisers taking anything, whether surface changes or bends, in its stride.

Don't be put off by the negatives often expressed on this forum. Do a search on C5 Wagon and you'll find all sorts of experiences being had by people. Just remember that forum members rarely write up the good stuff, but will carry on about the bad bits at length. (I've been guilty of this at times lest anyone accuse me of hypocrisy! )

If you look back at a few of the threads, particularly when I first got mine, you will see that all was not sweetness and light at first. Now, having solved all those initial issues, I love my 2006 diesel wagon with a passion that borders on embarrassing.

Definitely one of the great cars, and being potentially the last of the hydraulics, a future classic in my opinion. Not one you'll ever make money on, but since you'll fall in love with it and never want to part, that's a bit academic!

Hope that helps. Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Dave, from my own recent experience I can advise two things:

1: Plan to spend a couple of thou or so on getting it sorted and right as soon as you buy it. This can include a check and or replacement of the "FAP" or particulate filter. If the car has done more short runs than long cruises it's entirely possible the filter will be partially blocked. Also be prepared to take it to a proper Citroen mechanic who can do a thorough diagnostic check and advise on anything else that is looming. Service history is all important but it's good insurance to have all the fluids changed right away so you know they're the right ones from then on.

2: Buy one and enjoy it. As I've found the wagon is simply one of the great highway cruisers taking anything, whether surface changes or bends, in its stride.

Don't be put off by the negatives often expressed on this forum. Do a search on C5 Wagon and you'll find all sorts of experiences being had by people. Just remember that forum members rarely write up the good stuff, but will carry on about the bad bits at length. (I've been guilty of this at times lest anyone accuse me of hypocrisy! )

If you look back at a few of the threads, particularly when I first got mine, you will see that all was not sweetness and light at first. Now, having solved all those initial issues, I love my 2006 diesel wagon with a passion that borders on embarrassing.

Definitely one of the great cars, and being potentially the last of the hydraulics, a future classic in my opinion. Not one you'll ever make money on, but since you'll fall in love with it and never want to part, that's a bit academic!

Hope that helps. Pottsy.

I concur. The C5 is a great vehicle worthy of the Citroen badge. Ours is a 2004 2.0 HDI Estate with a 4 speed AL4 gearbox that has provided economical motoring since purchased in 2008 with 90K on the clock and now has 210K. 1000 kilometres from a tank full often achieved and exceeded with country driving.

Early C5's do have (seem to) have rear suspension squeaking problems that need to be attended to promptly and the air conditioning control module failing. What you are looking at is far down the track from our 2004 Estate and should not have those problems nevertheless, Pottsy is spot on with the advice to allow some cash for post purchase price and get in the right hands for servicing it.

Regards,

JAJEA

Hi Dave,

As you can see from the Avatar pic, I have a C5X7 comfort wagon that I bought new in 2009 and has now done just over 120kkm. Cambelt is due at 180kkm and sounds a bit complex to do - you have to take the inlet manifold off. My turbo has started to leak a little oil onto the heat shield so I guess a rebuilt is on the cards in the future too. A few errors are starting to creep into the Diagbox report but none of these seem to be very important and the car is not reporting any errors. Engine is not using any oil between ~15kkm oil changes as yet. I have only used Total Ineo ECS as oil after the Brisbane agent took the edge of my particulate filter by using some Mobil oil at the first service

Otherwise it has been fantastic. Check some of my previous posts in C5 threads.

We have driven it from Cape Tribulation the the Huon River in Tasmania and then to Maree after the last Cit-in. We have managed quite a few 1000km tanks for diesel on the way so economy has been great.

I put 4 litres of Penrite synthetic ATF through the AM6 gearbox at 60kkm and will do another of these changes soon. The box has been very smooth since the first oil change and I hope it will continue that way. They are a great tourer but don't expect to be able to tow much with it as the tow ball weight rating is very low. Happy to answer any more questions.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 30th September 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger

By 2008 do you mean the facelifted old series or the X7 that arrived in 2008? It can be confusing understanding the C5 range models and options over time.

The mainstay of both ranges was a 2.0HDi 6 speed version, but there were others on offer in smaller numbers. Ignoring the others here, the 2.0HDi engine and gearbox carried over in 2008 (RHR in VIN) and was replaced with a more economical and powerful unit during 2010 (RHH in VIN). About the same time, coil springs arrived as a cheaper option (Seducton, Attraction etc.), so be sure you know what you are looking at. With all the AM6 / 6 speed cars, watch for slip on 2>3 when hot, which might suggest a valve block fault. There's nothing unusual to worry about with the DW10 engines, but the EGR valves do not last forever and the alternator pulley clutch can fail at higher mileages, causing vibration at idle.

Exclusive vs Comfort - same car and both with spheres underneath. Exclusive had turning HID headlamps, extra airbags etc. over the Comfort. Comfort may not have the electric handbrake, although that might have only been dropped for the coil spring variants. The turning HID headlamps are a real bonus. Try one at night if possible vs the regular halogen lights.

The older model often had wear issues with rear arm bearings (creaks) and lower control arm bushed at the front. The X7 (and C6 and related Pugs) can break the rear bush on the front lower wishbones (must buy whole wishbones from Citroen) and you'd see that by the wheel moving back and forward well over an inch in the wheelarch as you move the car back and forward. The eye bush at the bottom of the front upright also lets go eventually and it's another part that has not been serviced separately by Citroen, so it was necessary to buy a new upright assembly. There are some aftermarket options for these bushes. Check for leaking struts, which is not common, but more likely on the earlier examples. Overall, most X7 problems are relatively minor. Check the AC works properly and if not, you might first suspect the condenser on an earlier X7.
    Last edited by David S; 30th September 2015 at 11:55 PM.

I've had three C5 wagons in the family, 2002 petrol, 2004 diesel and presently a 2005 HDI wagon, with 240kms on it.
    I'm a fan of them, the 04 had problems. As always, a good mechanic should give it the twice over for you. The 2.2 motor is pretty cool with a bit of extra grunt over the 2.0. A good service history is important. I dunno that there is any particular generic list of stuff that goes wrong. They certainly are great cruisers, and good Citroens in general. Maybe just choose the one that takes your fancy.

1000+ Posts

A 2011 car is an X7 model, and is a different (and better) car from Garyk's collection with a different suspension system. I'd be after it myself if I didn't already have one. They are unsurpassed fast very comfortable cruisers. They are not Germanic hard suspended sports cars.

The RHR (older) and RHH (newer) in the VIN tells you which 2.0 HDI engine is used. The difference between Comfort and Exclusive is the "fruit" level. Comforts don't have Xenon lights. The mechanicals and suspension are the same. Both are hydraulic. The 6 speed Japanese transmission is excellent.

Hello tasdave.
    I am just up the road in St helens. I may be in Bicheno on sunday next. I think you will find he 2011 has an uprated engine and would probably go for that. Are they in Tasi? Give me a call on 63761836 or 0419 550 169 and we could have a chat or meet for a drive.

Great car, just right for our roads.

Cheers Allan.

Thread Information