• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stubbers

Thread: 2007 C3 Pluriel

Default 2007 C3 Pluriel

Hi CitroŽn people,

Advertisement

I'm about to go and look at the above car which has nearly 113,000 kms on the odometer.

Is there anything that I should particularly look at or for in the car? Any known trouble spots?

Looking forward to hearing some wise and sensible words.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Tadpole

Plenty. Make sure the roof slides easily and test it all the way into the boot. Listen for a clacking sound from the rear tailgate as it goes through the opening or closing stages.. if it does the motor is on its way out. The boot and roof are connected electronically and if the roof does not shut correctly you cannot open the boot. Listen for the boot unlock when the roof is fully closed. If the roof breaks on these cars it is not worth fixing - most Citroen dealers will not even look at it.

Ask about the sensodrive gearbox and if it does the snowflake of death.. it generally happens as the gearbox is in auto and changing down for a corner etc. It's usually signifies a clutch actuator problem and the gearbox does not change down properly so goes into limp mode.. except C3 pluriel limp mode is 3 warning dings then about 3 seconds later the snowflake symbol appears on the dash, the gearbox goes into neutral and it will not go into gear. If you are in traffic at lights you are stuck. A new clutch actuator is around $1K.

Check for water staining in front footwells and on the seats if they are cloth. Pluriels have a nasty habit of leaking from the roof and from the bottom of the front door seals where water travels down the seals from the roof.

At that sort of K's it may need a clutch, or b due for one very soon. Listen for a slight squeal or feel for slippage. They slip a little anyway, but you should be able to feel excessive slippage. The squeal will be a throwout bearing (they are still basically a manual gearbox with actuators). A clutch will cost around $1800 installed and is not really a DIY job.

Condensation in the rear light cluster (very common) will mean a perished seal between the outer lens and the cluster. If you buy it, best remove the light cluster, remove the lens, place a bead of adhesive silicone around the edge and replace the lens. If you don't, you will find the lens will eventually fall off the cluster as it is only held on by the seal. I have lost 2 off two different C3 Pluriels by not doing this early.

Other than that - a great funky and very versatile little car that is fun and very economical to drive.

Have fun.
    505604 likes this.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Stubbers!

Starting at the bottom of your list, I didn't notice any condensation in either tail light lens, but I certainly wasn't looking with an eagle eye for it.

I didn't notice slippage. What I did notice was a lack of willingness to start moving from standstill. That bothered me. It seemed to take about 1-2 seconds for the car to register that it was being 'asked to move'. It then went quite willingly.

I didn't look for staining in the footwells, but there was none noticeable on the front seats. Yes, they were cloth.

The gearbox seemed to change up and down quite nicely, with no hesitation. The only problem I noticed with the box was as I described above.

Now the roof. Yes, there was a big clacking noise coming from the rear of the car. The roof would not open completely. That definitely bothered me! There was no trouble opening the boot, though.

Even before your reply, I decided not to buy. Your reply confirms my decision. Thank you so much.

But yes, it was fun to drive!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

If you worry about a 306 heater core being too hard to repair, I'd suggest not even thinking about a Pluriel!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If you worry about a 306 heater core being too hard to repair, I'd suggest not even thinking about a Pluriel!
    Thanks for that vote, Adam.
    I was looking on behalf of my daughter.

Thread Information