Anoher year; Another CX adventure!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anoher year; Another CX adventure!

Default Anoher year; Another CX adventure!

Last year after returning from Europe I accompanied another member of the local machinery restoration group on the "Bay to Birdwood" event in Adelaide. After the drive we travelled back in the 1954 A30.

Advertisement

I was so impressed with the event I thought I'd like to drive one of my cars in it. So arrangements were made to enter - there are limited places available and with a cut-off date this year of 1978 a lot of interest was expected. Work on replacing the water pump, hoses, radiator mounts etc was done on "Eloyse" so everything looked like it was ready to go. Once everything was done the car refused to start!

Eventually one of the DMRG blokes brought out his gear and we eliminated a lack of spark as the cause. Stale fuel was the next possibility. We disconnected the fuel pump hose, primed the carbie with an outboard motor fuel hand bulb pump using a container of fresh fuel. Success! Provided the car with fresh fuel and started it up. Ran sweetly, until the accelerator was pressed when it died!

Pulled the carbie top off, cleaned it out, checked the main jet and put it back together. Sat in the car, turned the key to the start position - nothing! Rocked the car back and forward in gear thinking that the starter motor was jammed. It wasn't. It seems that the starter motor has packed it in! Oh! [email protected]$!#*!!!!!

Not enough time to pull car apart to get at the starter so moved to plan "B" - "Vicky" the DS - BVH who had been sitting for a while with a fault with the indicators and a reluctance to start. Addressed the fuel issue in the same manner and she started and ran beautifully in the car port. The we set about locating the indicator issue. Replacement flasher unit bought but no flash. Started to check the wiring! Suddenly, not only did we have no indicators but no dash lights either - no warning lights at all. Started to track the wiring after the fuses checked out. Still no joy. A few days before departure so Joe took the wiring diagrams home to study at leisure.

Next day we commenced following wires again. Test globe and probe checked everything. Still no joy. I replaced the instrument cluster and suddenly I had dash lights again. No indicator but at least the warning lights were back.

Decided to drive into town to fill the tank with fresh fuel as it only had around 10 litres in it. Everything went fine until a few miles away from home when it started to loose power, surge, loose power, surge etc all the way into town. Refuelled with fresh fuel hoping that it would solve the problem. Wrong. Even with an in-line fuel filter there appears to be a blockage in the carbie. "Vicky" returned home on the back of the RAC truck!

On to plan "C" - the venerable "Bronzey" who is masquarading as a 1978 CX for Sunday. Packed with our gear, an assortment of tools and a set of spare belts we fuelled up on Sunday morning headed for Canberra. Overnight just west of Caiguna camped in a parking bay. Overnight temperature dropped to minus degrees. Windscreen covered with ice when we got up ready to move at first light. Scraped it off but before we moved it was covered again. Went to start the car and the engine barely cranked over. Another camper came over and offered us a jump start. Fortunately it very slowly cranked and fired. We were at least moving - with windows down and heads out the window until we could get enough airflow to remove the ice. The sun was just starting to shine and the ice was going. Damn! Electric windows won't go up. Blown fuse! Stop to replace fuse and window starts to ice up again. Back on the road and after a couple of kms we are on our way - with the windows up and some warmth coming back to our fingers and faces.

Stopped at Caiguna for fuel and were asked to drop off pump parts to the Madura roadhouse. Called in at Madura and had the alternator belt squealing as we slowed down. Handed over the pump parcel and started off again. Short squeal then it was gone. Turned onto the highway and started on east. Looked at dash and saw no charge to the battery. Pulled over and discovered the belt gone! Got out the spare belt, tools and set about replacing the missing belt to drive the alternator.

Once done we were back on the road. Ended the day at a motel at Wudinna as we weren't keen on another freezing night in the open. Next day replaced the belt when passing through Pt Augusta. Finished the day at Balranald. Day four, after a quick visit to rellies in Tumut, we travelled over the dirt road to Brindabella and on to reach Canberra just before dark.

"Bronzey" had ticked along, cruising at around 100kph (on the GPS) and returned around 26 mpg - not bad for the C-matic and a 34 y.o. engine. While we were on the road the drama had unfolded in Canberra. We left home with one PM and arrived in the capital with another!
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Default Another year; another CX adventure!

Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc01934.jpg
    Crossing the floor of the valley at Brindabella.

Settled in to a motel for the night while I awaited family who were flying in the following day. Next day we drove around Canberra and took in a few of the capital's sights.

Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc01948.jpg
    Bronzey outside the railway station - now a church. The train used to enter the building via the door and glass window.

Family arrived that night and we moved to apartment booked for the weekend. Used the car to ferry family around as we showed our 11yo grandson the national capital. Visited new and old parliament Houses, National Museum, War memorial and Floriade among others.

Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02282.jpg
    Nevill Westwood's Citroen 5CV that made the first trip around Australia in the 1920's

Sunday afternoon dropped daughter and grandson at airport and cruised to Tumut for the night.

Following day we headed off towards Adelaide ready for some of the MotorFest program prior to the "Bay to Birdwood" on Sunday.
    Last edited by rmac; 26th September 2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: correct spelling in title
    JohnW, Ronhic and Jinandfonic like this.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Wonderful Ross. Always good to have a few spare Citroens.

You do long days! It takes me 5 days to get to Wagga from Perth in the R8. I'll bet it was more comfortable than the A30 too.

Enjoy the B to B.

Is the wagon running yet?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Ross ....we will look out for you! There will be 1700 cars But an orange CX should stand out!!
    ill be in my 1973 SM Beige Thonelet ...Gold ? I know of another white CX and a 2CV will attending so there will be at least 4 Citroens.
    Its going to be 24 degrees with clear skies ....enjoy
    cheers
    Colin

Trouble with having a few Citroens is that I've a few hours work when I get home. At least the DMRG workshop should be just about finished and I'll have a decent workspace (and some help from the blokes) to work in. First priority will be to deal with the 5CV clutch, then the Familiale!

Will look out for the other Citroens at the B to B.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There is a factory fuel filter just infront of the tank... probably behind a rubber shield. This will probably be 40years old and will have never been changed ('cos most people don't know it exists). It'll be breaking down internally and filling the carby with rubbish. I'd suggest changing it. This is the CX obviously, not the DS

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks Shane. I'll remember that!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    There is a factory fuel filter just infront of the tank... probably behind a rubber shield. This will probably be 40years old and will have never been changed ('cos most people don't know it exists). It'll be breaking down internally and filling the carby with rubbish. I'd suggest changing it. This is the CX obviously, not the DS

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thanks for the advice Shane. Will check that first. I've a sneaking suspicion that it may be somewhere in that area rather than under the bonnet! Fuel pump or filter?!?

Until recently it has been too wet (and cold) to get the car off the ground and check it. When I get back everything should be dried out and I can lift the car up, put in safety stands etc.
    Last edited by rmac; 26th September 2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: expanded comment
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Dug out the fuel dockets:
    3851 km, 413 litres. 9.32km/l=42.4km/gal=26.34mpg
    That was for the trip to Canberra.

Since then there has been 23.1mpg - around Canberra with four people (up Mt Ainslie and Black Mtn)
    24.42mpg around Adelaide and up into the hills
    26.15mpg on the open road
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Fellow Frogger!

Default cx

I enjoyed seeing your dusty well travelled Cx entering the Canberra airport,

no way an orange Cx can hide !!
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Dug out the fuel dockets:
    3851 km, 413 litres. 9.32km/l=42.4km/gal=26.34mpg
    That was for the trip to Canberra.

Since then there has been 23.1mpg - around Canberra with four people (up Mt Ainslie and Black Mtn)
    24.42mpg around Adelaide and up into the hills
    26.15mpg on the open road
    Or 10.7l/100km average to put it in standard nomenclature which is pretty good for your car. Excellent to see another CX doing what it is meant to do.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

We had a few 'remarks' by the spit and polish brigade in the lead up to the Bay to Birdwood. It was put through the car wash and came up bright and shiny - even the paint runs ;-)

Today we headed off to the 'Bay' and joined around 1700 other cars - we were #1759. Great run up to Birdwood and had a quick look at the Museum during the afternoon. Very eclectic collection and displays: some interesting cars - ones made in Australia (in very small numbers in some cases) Also has a very good collection of motor cycles.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Or 10.7l/100km average to put it in standard nomenclature which is pretty good for your car. Excellent to see another CX doing what it is meant to do.
    23mpg (or worse) is all we ever really got from a C-matic CX
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Some images from the past few days:
    Trouble with belt squeal - still. On Thursday belt fitted last week snapped!
    Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc00766.jpg
    Took out the replacement I purchased at Pt Augusta on way over. Same brand, same length, same size on package and belt - different profile

Seems like I'd got two 'mis-packaged' and labelled belts. New one, fitted in five minutes, went on easily, sits nicely and hasn't made a sound!

The Bay to Birdwood is a great event - reportedly over 70,000 spectators along the route.
    Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc00793.jpgAnoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc00799.jpgAnoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc00810.jpg
    Followed the goggos up the hill and came across them on the way down.

Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02477.jpg
    an early start - look at the sky and light across the car By the time we left the whole ground was filled. The green space to the right was full.
    JohnW and CXVingtCinq like this.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

First one is "Floriade" from the ferris wheel - a million bulbs in a display to highlight the centenary of WWIAnoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02142.jpg
    One item in the Birdwood Motor Museum was their oldest car chassis - 1897 Peugeot was dug up by a bulldozer. The engine coolant was run through the chassis.
    Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02518.jpg
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    We had a few 'remarks' by the spit and polish brigade in the lead up to the Bay to Birdwood. It was put through the car wash and came up bright and shiny - even the paint runs ;-)

Today we headed off to the 'Bay' and joined around 1700 other cars - we were #1759. Great run up to Birdwood and had a quick look at the Museum during the afternoon. Very eclectic collection and displays: some interesting cars - ones made in Australia (in very small numbers in some cases) Also has a very good collection of motor cycles.
    Love "spit and polish brigade"! Brave to use a carwash! Safe home Ross.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

On Photo 5, the air-cooled device from Allemagne is in good company. Lovely light.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    On Photo 5, the air-cooled device from Allemagne is in good company. Lovely light.
    And here is the world in a flap about that other German company fibbing about diesel exhausts. A good time to buy VW shares.

Attended the MotorFest event at the Military Vehicle Restoration Group at Edinburgh. Had a ride in a Stuart Tank as well as the Saracen armoured personnel carrier. A great museum/collection with a comprehensive set of radio sets as found in military vehicles since the 1940's.

Left via Elizabeth and the Clare Valley en-route to Peterborough. Stopped overnight with the intention of visiting the Steam Town collection at the old railway yards. Here they had it set up to handle three gauges - 3'6" narrow gauge as used in most of the Peterborough Div.; 4'81/2" standard gauge as used in NSW and the Commonwealth Railways with 5'3" as used in much of the rest of SA.

Took a look at the night show - patrons sit in a carriage on the turntable, facing the roundhouse. Rolling stock highlighted by coloured lights then followed by a very professional movie shown on a screen lowered in front of several bays of the roundhouse.

Next morning went over the museum with a guide - very informative. Then called into a small private museum with a collection of Italian motorcycles. Then headed on to Quorn where we wanted to ride the train through the Pichi Richi pass. Very nostalgic riding in period carriages pulled by a WAGR "W" class loco (W933 - now masquerading as SA "W 22") travelled through the pass to Woolshed Flats. At WS Flats the loco was turned using the "wye" between the main line and the buildings.

Also called in to the Arid Lands Botanic Garden on the north western outskirts of Pt Augusta.

Headed home Thursday afternoon making Ceduna just on sunset. Early away Friday morning and reached Norseman just before sunset - 1237km - struck a warm day - 38c at Norseman and travelled most of the way with no cloud cover.

When are we going to make that group buy of athermic (?) windscreens?
    JohnW and CXVingtCinq like this.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

I'll pay for one, an athermic windscreen that is....
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I also would be interested, "arm and a leg" cost notwithstanding.

A fine Sunday drive of around 320 Klms last weekend was spoiled by the 33 degree heat.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Me too - it is even getting hot down here in Tassie - how many do we need to get a batch done??

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

I can't remember - this started on and off about 5 years ago, or even a bit more. Shane might remember? I vaguely recall it needed 8-12 orders or something to get the price manageable but it was a while ago.

Does someone remember how to get this done??

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Return from Canberra to Denmark via Adelaide and a tour through the east side of the Flinders Ranges as far a Quorn.
    Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02838.jpg
    5112.3 km using 567.64 litres = 9.01 l/100km or 40.98 km/gal or 25.45 mpg
    one tank 512.3 km gave 9.9 l/100km or 28.0mpg

After leaving Ceduna Friday morning we were back in Denmark by 14.00 Saturday having covered 1982km in 30 hours with a good night sleep at Norseman. Late Friday we came across two truck trays being transported west. Managed to get around them only to come up behind them again west of Esperance the next morning. Watching the coach get past was interesting!
    .Anoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02980.jpgAnoher year; Another CX adventure!-dsc02979.jpg
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Great trip Ross. Glad the mighty CX behaved itself.

Staggeringly good fuel consumption.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information