Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By AllenM
  • 5 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Greg C

Thread: It came with its own Gremlin.

Fellow Frogger!

Default It came with its own Gremlin.

I just bought an '03 C5. Petrol 16 valve with 177K on the clock. Why would you do something like that you ask. Well it's a 5 speed manual. It does lots of strange this electronically. It will centrally lock on the button on the dash but only sometimes on the door lock ( the door you use the key in locks but does not activate the system) a new battery in the remote didn't bring it to life. I suspect that the real pointer is that when you turn the ignition off you lose the radio and display settings you just wasted time putting in and it would seem the whole system looses contact with the battery as the next time you turn on the ignition on it all starts from scratch. Can anyone throw some light on the problem (pun intended).
    Does anyone have 3 of these ? That is the centre cap only.
    It came with its own Gremlin.-red-c5-wheel.jpg

Advertisement
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Don't ever scare me like that again! You said Gremlin, so I'm thinking this:
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Unfortunately not one of those Hotrodelectric, that might have been worth something. I meant that unpredictable, badly behaved buggger that creates mayhem and angst and seems to frequent so many cars that bear the Double Chevron.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    Unfortunately not one of those Hotrodelectric, that might have been worth something. I meant that unpredictable, badly behaved buggger that creates mayhem and angst and seems to frequent so many cars that bear the Double Chevron.
    +1 on that. We've all seen our share of misbehaving weirdness with that marque.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Cars, or their keepers?
    David M likes this.

As a first step I would replace the battery, or at least get it load tested. Modern cars need stable electrical supply.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Cars, or their keepers?
    Um, yes.
    Citroen, where the abnormal becomes the usual.

Allen,

Did you find any fuses blown when you were checking them? Could not find any obvious clues in the Haynes C5 manual.

Cheers, Ken.

Does anyone know what fuse and pin connector numbers are involved in the permanent keep alive 12 volt circuit to the Body Systems Computer and the Radio?

Cheers, Ken W

Yes, I do.

Addo,
    I suppose you are answering my question literally, but if you could also let us know what fuses should need to be looked at more closely and what pins in the BSI and Radio connection carry the memory 12 volts, that would be very helpful.

Cheers, Ken

Give me thirty minutes. :-)

Hope these are legible. It should give an idea of the full CAN cars' supply lines and relevant pinouts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It came with its own Gremlin.-radio_1s.jpg   It came with its own Gremlin.-door_status_1s.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

It came with its own Gremlin.-20150927_164156.jpgIt came with its own Gremlin.-20150927_164216.jpg
    I have removed, checked and replaced every fuse, found nothing. I have had the key remote checked and it is working. Battery is fully charged. I think I can access another 16V fuse block and/or one out of a V6, is anything interchangeable, both cars are auto and 2002/3. Currently fitting new pads and rotors to the front. Just fitted "steelies" off a wagon, see below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It came with its own Gremlin.-20150927_164232.jpg  

Very nice Allen. They look much better in dark colours. There are similar diagrams in the Haynes C5 manual as those posted by Addo but the wiring looks a bit different. I will study a bit more and find some fuses for you to check and see if you get 12 volt power on both sides when the ignition is off.

If you look up on the service citroen site using your vin and also the general model parts finder, you can compare part numbers to see what parts are interchangable between different C5 engine and other configuations. Did you happen to get the security code for the car as well - the four alphanumeric code sequence that you need when you reprogram keys or replace ECUs in the system when using a Lexia or Diabox?

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

In the original log book a code number KQMO appears following the Paint colour. The paint, Rouge Lucifer, is not that code according to other paint sites. Allen.

Fellow Frogger!

Pull the head unit. Has someone played with the wiring. A po may have had a non genuine head unit installed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I was going to click "like" for the photo of the blue Gremlin. But I decided a didn't like it at all. What a horror. Must have been quite a committee that designed it.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Allen, it sounds like there is a back up battery which has gone flat, ( possibly one of those little coin sized lithium ones) in the cars computer, or a memory capacitor which has failed. If you can find that and replace it, you will not have to continually reprogram the data. Good luck..

Fellow Frogger!

John at DS Motors had a look at it yesterday, the shunt was in the wrong place and after a conversation with his computer all seems to be working except the air cond. fan and that looks like the blower motor resistor, working on that. The headlight was another issue and a new bulb should fix that.
    Thanks to everybody for their support. Allen.

Thread Information