Who is the SM go-to guy in Australia?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daffyduck

Thread: Who is the SM go-to guy in Australia?

Default Who is the SM go-to guy in Australia?

Howdy,

Advertisement

I'm trying to diagnose some tuning issues on a '73 EFI SM. Other than SM Australia, who is the best technical reference that I might ask some specific questions?

Thanks & regards,
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Howdy,

I'm trying to diagnose some tuning issues on a '73 EFI SM. Other than SM Australia, who is the best technical reference that I might ask some specific questions?

Thanks & regards,
    Rhys
    Try calling Jerry Hathaway of SM world in LA....he is very helpful. He is Mr SM ....having been engrossed in SM for the past 40 years there's not much he doesn't know. He can help with spares as well. Daffy Duck will no doubt support my comments.

Old Coot is correct about JH.
    We didn't get EFI SM over here. The ones that are here were private imports and are very thin on the ground.

The first issue in tuning an SM is be sure all six cylinders have strong, even compression values. Without good compression, tuning is somewhat pointless.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Old Coot is correct about JH.
    We didn't get EFI SM over here. The ones that are here were private imports and are very thin on the ground.

The first issue in tuning an SM is be sure all six cylinders have strong, even compression values. Without good compression, tuning is somewhat pointless.
    Although IIRC Jerry has some familiarity with the SM Injection cars. It's still basically just a Bosch D-Jet system. The same basic system the D-IE runs, along with several other cars from that era.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

So look for someone in Perth who know the Bosch D-Jet system that the DS Citroens run. If you can't find one, then post your issues on here. I know Doublechevron knows these well and there will be others also.

Cheers, Ken.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm familiar with JH and have respect for his vast knowledge on SM's. As mentioned by an earlier poster, this knowledge is weighted to US non-EFI based cars.

My preference is to source a local contact that I can potentially collaborate on a variety of future issues.

I have a sound working knowledge on DJetronic systems and components.

My current issue is that the manifold vacuum is around 9 Hg at idle (which appears insufficient to correctly operate the MAP sensor , thereby richening the mixture). I would expect vacuum at this point to be in the area of 14 Hg or so?

I was hoping to have a EFI SM owner confirm their actual vacuum reading at the manifold point.

Thanks & regards,

Rhys

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Thanks for the replies.

I'm familiar with JH and have respect for his vast knowledge on SM's. As mentioned by an earlier poster, this knowledge is weighted to US non-EFI based cars.

My preference is to source a local contact that I can potentially collaborate on a variety of future issues.

I have a sound working knowledge on DJetronic systems and components.

My current issue is that the manifold vacuum is around 9 Hg at idle (which appears insufficient to correctly operate the MAP sensor , thereby richening the mixture). I would expect vacuum at this point to be in the area of 14 Hg or so?

I was hoping to have a EFI SM owner confirm their actual vacuum reading at the manifold point.

Thanks & regards,

Rhys
    This is the only place I'm really aware of where everyone seems to have highly detailed knowledge of SM's. Yes, you will have to join yahoogroups. All the well known SM gurus are members there too.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sport-Maserati-L

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

John Titus in Scottsdale, Arizona USA will know these answers. Try Google search for SM Solutions or send me a PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Find why the vacuum is so poor, a leak in a hose, hose missing etc. & as suggested above check the compression, inlet valve not seating rings worn etc will give poor vacuum. I have had a car with similar fuel injection & a leak in a vacuum hose really caused problems, easy to fix once you find it.

Regards

agd123

Again - thanks to all for your feedback.

Presuming the vacuum reading is low, it may be as a result of several sources from hoses to actual valve timing.

To establish a factual baseline, I was hoping to have a EFI SM owner confirm their actual vacuum reading at the manifold point. From there I can incrementally resolve potential issues working towards a specific outcome.

Regards,
    Rhys

Presuming the vacuum reading is low, it may be as a result of several sources from hoses to actual valve timing.

To establish a factual baseline, I was hoping to have a EFI SM owner confirm their actual vacuum reading at the manifold point. From there I can incrementally resolve potential issues working towards a specific outcome.

Regards,
    Rhys
    There will be quite a few Djet owners on the SM list ... along with Andrew Brodie, Andre Pol, Peter McCleod ... etc... I'm sure one of them will be able to help you out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Regards,
    Rhys
    There will be quite a few Djet owners on the SM list ... along with Andrew Brodie, Andre Pol, Peter McCleod ... etc... I'm sure one of them will be able to help you out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have joined the Yahoo list - and will interact accordingly.

Thanks to all those that responded for your input.

Regards,
    Rhys

Thread Information