• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By citroenut

Thread: Ds23 breaker less ignition

Fellow Frogger!

Icon6 Ds23 breaker less ignition

My 74 carby manual had the points replaced with breaker less gadget that sat in the distributor. It failed on the weekend and replacing it with original points has brought her back to good as new. Any thoughts on whether I am better to stick with the points or go for a whole new 123 unit. Pros and cons?

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Was the unit that failed a not-123 part? The 123 is a great unit, has performance advantages and apparently you have access to really good customer service there. The standard points costs far less to keep and parts are readily available. The real question here is do you have a spare 4-500.00 to spend?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Just to add what Bill said. My 72 has a 123 with the adjustable curve settings. My 69.5 wagon has the Ducillier unit with a Pertronix unit (breakerless system). That said - if the original unit is mechanically sound and the advance springs are in decent shape stay with what you have. OTOH if you have 'slop' in the shaft that causes the set point to wander around - then the 123 might be the best and cheapest way to go.

Steve

I would go with the 123 solution. Reason is can you guarantee that the mechanical advance system is within spec and will it stay that way. The answer is probably no to both questions. Based on my experience with the 123 in my CX I thoroughly recommend it. Reason is the ignition system is back to when the original distributor was new if not better, and as it is all electronic it will stay that way.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I love my 123 in my DS23 5 speed. Better low down torque, smoother running and way better fuel consumption.
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    I love my 123 in my DS23 5 speed. Better low down torque, smoother running and way better fuel consumption.
    And a 100% power increase to the rear wheels.

Having said that, once I got the angle set right on mine I have never touched it. It just works.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    And a 100% power increase to the rear wheels.
    I was not aware you guys saw the ultra-rare Dangel 4x4 version

What's your latest with pipe organs Craig?
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all. Looks like the consensus is for 123!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Thanks all. Looks like the consensus is for 123!
    Seriously - if there is nothing wrong mechanically, and the advance springs are working as intended with your current distributor, going to a 123 is not going to make a bit of difference. I know - have both. A well sorted out Ducieller unit with a Pertronix Ignitor SS pickup in my 69.5 wagon and a 123 in my 72 DS 21. The reason for the 123 (with the settable curves) is that engine got modified when I rebuilt it 13 years ago. Fooled around with the curves and found one that works well with the modifications.

The main reason a lot of owners report an improvement after installing a 123 is just caused by the fact that the mechanical unit in the car was out of spec advance wise. In other cases the units were worn out with shaft wobble. The 123's are great units. Just a lot of money to spend if the current problem can be solved with a simple spring replacement.

Fellow Frogger!

Years ago with my injection 21 BVH, where smooth idle & low speed progression is hyper critical, I replaced points with a Piranha optically triggered system in a distributor that wasn't showing any significant wear. This resulted in a very noticeable running improvement. Unfortunately this was temporary, & in desperation, I replaced the HT leads, which was a permanent cure.
    The point I make is that , the improved accuracy, & dwell extension was sufficient to overcome a rapidly deteriorating set of HT leads, with the added benefit of no further need to readjust timing or replace points.
    These days, there is no way I would run points, although for absolute peace of mind, I would retain the old set up in the tool box for an emergency.

Richard
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information