C3: ABS issue causing auto trans to play up?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: C3: ABS issue causing auto trans to play up?

Tadpole

Default C3: ABS issue causing auto trans to play up?

I'll try and keep this brief

I gave my car - a 2007 C3 - to a Mazda dealer (existing relationship) to replace a front wheel bearing. They fitted a non-genuine one, then discovered it means that the ABS can't be connected and the warning light stays on. They said they'd work out what to do (they have to fit a genuine part). But that's not the real issue ...

Advertisement

... after collecting the car, I noticed the (auto) gearbox was playing up, which it's never done, like it was possessed. Most times when I pull away from standstill it's in 3rd. Every time I stop, there are a couple of clunks - one small, one not as small - as if it's finding gears while stationary. Every time I drive it, I get a "GEARBOX FAULTY" warning message, which matches the "ABS SYSTEM FAULTY" one. This makes me nervous and my wife won't drive the car as she's not convinced it's safe.

As the car is pretty much controlled by computer, I'm hoping it's an electrical/computer problem that will be sorted when they fit a genuine wheel bearing. I contacted Citroen Aust and they said - as I thought they might - take it to a Citroen dealer for a diagnosis. I don't want to do that until these guys have tries to fix it.

Any feedback/advice/opinion appreciated. Cheers ~ Mike

Fellow Frogger

Here is the parts diagram. It looks like a standard bearing and was probably made by SKF or a similar outfit, but Jaahn appears to be correct in the next post. So, that is the likely explanation of your problem.

C3: ABS issue causing auto trans to play up?-c3frthub.jpg

The gearbox will go to 3rd gear when there is a fault that it has detected. There are various possible causes, but it is possible for an ABS fault to do that. You simply should not try to drive it as per normal when stuck in 3rd gear. It should reset after a stop start, but if it happens repeatedly, then don't drive it until it's checked properly. People have destroyed an AL4 gearbox like that, so it's smarter not to drive it until the ABS issue is resolved and you do not have the gearbox choosing what is termed 'refuge mode' or 3rd gear.
    Last edited by David S; 21st September 2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Corrected information

1000+ Posts

Hi Mike,
    I am not sure about that particular car but Citroen does use wheel bearings that have the magnetic poles for the ABS in the bearing seal rubber. So there is no seperate tooth ring or the like. The bearing dimensions are a standard size and it is the existence of the magnetic poles in the seal that is the only difference.
    So the choices of where you get a bearing is determined by this important fact. I would guess the bearing numbers are different to show this ???
    In some cars the ABS signal is used for the speed input to the central computer. If this is the case there may be confusion which results in the auto selection problem. Obviously solved by the correct bearing being fitted. I would not drive it till this is corrected as the fault log will be filled up with faults which really should be cleared as well for a complete job.
    Jaahn
    PS could you get the bearing numbers of the original, the replacement, and the genuine replacement for other people's information !

Fellow Frogger

Jaahn is apparently on the money here. Some other documentation for the C3 (although for an earlier year) noted the bearing has internal magnets ...

C3: ABS issue causing auto trans to play up?-c3_abs.jpg
    addo likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The gearbox will go to 3rd gear when there is a fault that it has detected. There are various possible causes, but it is possible for an ABS fault to do that. You simply should not try to drive it as per normal when stuck in 3rd gear. It should reset after a stop start, but if it happens repeatedly, then don't drive it until it's checked properly. People have destroyed an AL4 gearbox like that, so it's smarter not to drive it until the ABS issue is resolved and you do not have the gearbox choosing what is termed 'refuge mode' or 3rd gear.
    That is REALLY helpful Dave, thanks a lot! Confirms my suspicions. I'm expecting a call this morning from the dealership re next steps. Now I'm concerned because I've driven it all weekend (no second car).

Cheers ~ Mike

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I am not sure about that particular car but Citroen does use wheel bearings that have the magnetic poles for the ABS in the bearing seal rubber. So there is no seperate tooth ring or the like. The bearing dimensions are a standard size and it is the existence of the magnetic poles in the seal that is the only difference.
    So the choices of where you get a bearing is determined by this important fact. I would guess the bearing numbers are different to show this ???
    In some cars the ABS signal is used for the speed input to the central computer. If this is the case there may be confusion which results in the auto selection problem. Obviously solved by the correct bearing being fitted. I would not drive it till this is corrected as the fault log will be filled up with faults which really should be cleared as well for a complete job.
    Jaahn
    PS could you get the bearing numbers of the original, the replacement, and the genuine replacement for other people's information !
    Excellent stuff Jaahn, really appreciate the time taken. As I commented to Dave, I'm concerned that I've driven it all weekend. Also concerned as to whether the Mazda guys can clear the fault log. This is all new to me - I'm no tech-head! I just hope they can fix it! I'll ask for the part #s.

Cheers ~ Mike

Don't sweat the stored faults, that era of CitroŽn and Peugeot will drive fine once a fault is physically gone, the history can be cleared by the genuine dealer scan tool (Lexia or Diagbox) or DIY use of a pirated dealer tool.

The auto box may be a coincidence, they do have a known history of issues - some people are more fortunate than others.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Don't sweat the stored faults, that era of CitroŽn and Peugeot will drive fine once a fault is physically gone, the history can be cleared by the genuine dealer scan tool (Lexia or Diagbox) or DIY use of a pirated dealer tool.

The auto box may be a coincidence, they do have a known history of issues - some people are more fortunate than others.
    Thanks Addo

Fellow Frogger!

Recently replaced the rear swing arm bearings in my C5, afterwards bled the brakes etc. The ABS warning light stayed on permanently, took it to Citro world, they found the wheel rotation sensor was not picking up its signal, they fiddled with its positioning & it is now fine. So maybe make sure the sensor is exactly in the correct position or it will not get its signal & that may well effect the gear changes.

Regards

Agd123

Another C3 problem is the windscreen washer "waters" the wiring harness. Just had the harness replaced by our local Citroen dealer after one headlight stopped working. Service department person tells me they had a bulletin on how to remedy the problem. So why was there not a recall to fix this problem. Can also occur in Peugeots of a similar size.

Thread Information