• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ds21 1968

Default Ds21 1968

Does anyone know of this car?
    Citroen DS21 1968 NSW reg GD600.
    It has been listed on Trovit, after receiving a response from the seller, it smells like a scam.
    Just thought I would check if the actual owner knows their car is being used as bait.

Beware.

Advertisement

1968 Citroen DS 21 Pallas RHD Palladium Grey - Australia autos for sale - backpage.com

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Same car is down in the for sale section here.... with a warning it's a scam (I wonder where they got the pictures and description if it's a scam ...as the car is RHD).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DS

If its a scam I'll let the owner Graham know. I saw him driving it just last week.
    GreenBlood and UFO like this.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

It is definitely a scam, the advertiser/scammer uses the same M.O. on a raft of other ads. The "transfer from RAAF base on Melville Island" is all nonsense, not a very sophisticated scam and feels like English may not be his first language.
    Obviously been lifted from the Car and Classic UK site. I asked if he had any pics because the pics had not been posted when I replied to the ad. He sent me half a dozen high res images that are not in the ad, so Graham has sent the scammer some high res pictures at some point.

Default scam DS21

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    It is definitely a scam, the advertiser/scammer uses the same M.O. on a raft of other ads. The "transfer from RAAF base on Melville Island" is all nonsense, not a very sophisticated scam and feels like English may not be his first language.
    Obviously been lifted from the Car and Classic UK site. I asked if he had any pics because the pics had not been posted when I replied to the ad. He sent me half a dozen high res images that are not in the ad, so Graham has sent the scammer some high res pictures at some point.
    so for my knowledge how does this work, whats the end game. would like this to be explained to me like a 5 year old. do they get some unsuspecting person to transfer a deposit or what ?

It's hard to believe, but, yes. He is expecting some muppet to go yeah, hear is the money. His response, you will note he ignores all my questions and just carries on about depositing the money.

Hello,
    Thank you for inquiring about my 1968 Citroen DS 21 Pallas
    The car has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no finance. It has all the papers and documents and it is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.
    The last price is $22.000 including the shipping to your home address. The car is registered (and located) in Australia. I bought it when i was serving in RAAF Melville Island, NT but i was promoted and transferred to RAF United Kingdom for a 5 years period, therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer.
    If you are interested i can give you more details on how we can do this deal and please see the attached pictures.
    Cheers

Lt. Steve Bellamy

Dear Steve,

thank you for sending the pictures through, it’s a lovely looking car,
    I couldn’t see the pictures on the Trovet listing, not sure why.
    The car as obviously be very well cared for.
    When I clicked on the link today the pictures came up.
    The car appears to have been resprayed, was that undertaken during your ownership?
    I also note the replaced leather on the front seat.
    How long have you owned the car? Has the wiring loom been replaced,
    I notice some different wiring around the fuse box?
    What are the studs in the top of the dash panel on the left top side of glove compartment?

Michael Berry

Hello,
    As i told you in my previous email i am located in United Kingdom and that's why i can't make this deal in person.
    The car is already at our Military Logistic Department from RAAF Melville Island, AU Army, crated and ready to go, I've arranged the shipping and the papers transfer anywhere in Australia and the delivery will take approx 3 to 5 working days (with 7 days return policy). The shipping will be free of charge for you because I will transport it using the internal logistic department.
    The sale will be managed only through Amazon Payments since they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions, and only after you will receive the car, I will receive the payment from them, in this way we are both 100% protected, during this 7 days your money stays in their bank account.
    You will have 7 days inspection period on it. If the car have any problems or you do not like it a full refund will be done no questions ask and i will pay the shipping back.
    So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see it before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 7 days to inspect it, i think this is more than fair for both of us.
    In order to start this transaction i will need your complete name, shipping address and phone#.
    After that you will receive an invoice from Amazon Payments that will tell you all the details you need to know about our transaction and also will give you the choice to proceed or not with the deal.
    If you agree with this terms please let me know so i can give you a call.
    Cheers

Lt. Steve Bellamy

I have been able to transfer the money yet.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Wow.... People must be dumb enough to actually fall for that .... given the scam is always going around.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

We deal with quite a bit of this stuff in my line of work (anti-corruption agency). This is a classic, and rather unsophisticated, scam. As Michael says, the writing is poor, and the more questions you ask the less credible the answers (like someone using a military logistics department to transport a personal car from "RAAF Melville Island AU Army").

The MO is to extract payment from the buyer into a so-called independent payment system. The promise of a phone call will never materialize because of timeline differences and sudden commitments. Instead, a second lot of emails will contain links to a fraudulent website (in this case purporting to be Amazon payments), giving all sorts of assurances about how the money will be held until goods are received etc. There will some crude cover for what essentially will be a direct EFT into a foreign bank account, most likely based somewhere like Nigeria.

Unfortunately there are any number of places from which a "for sale" ad can be constructed using photographs and descriptions etc. Sometimes these are simply lifted from previous (genuine) ads. Facebook and photo-sharing sites are relatively easy to access. As, for that matter, is this website.

These guys are sitting behind screens in boiler rooms in Lagos etc, constructing ads and other scams and sending them out to multiple websites and hundreds of thousands of personal email addresses. Even if the strike rate is infintessimally small, it is still worth it for them.

AM

UFO

Hmmm, Melville Island. Ask him for documentation of regular rust prevention treatments. Also seek further details on how he is going to ship a large car from a small far northern island to Melbourne in 7 days. Bahahaha!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Say you'll give him $24K if he can deposit $6K via Western Union to cover your money release fees and special freight receiving charges because you are a marine biologist and currently working on a research vessel in the Pacific Ocean ...

Default DS 21 scam

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    It's hard to believe, but, yes. He is expecting some muppet to go yeah, hear is the money. His response, you will note he ignores all my questions and just carries on about depositing the money.

Hello,
    Thank you for inquiring about my 1968 Citroen DS 21 Pallas
    The car has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no finance. It has all the papers and documents and it is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.
    The last price is $22.000 including the shipping to your home address. The car is registered (and located) in Australia. I bought it when i was serving in RAAF Melville Island, NT but i was promoted and transferred to RAF United Kingdom for a 5 years period, therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer.
    If you are interested i can give you more details on how we can do this deal and please see the attached pictures.
    Cheers

Lt. Steve Bellamy

Dear Steve,

thank you for sending the pictures through, itís a lovely looking car,
    I couldnít see the pictures on the Trovet listing, not sure why.
    The car as obviously be very well cared for.
    When I clicked on the link today the pictures came up.
    The car appears to have been resprayed, was that undertaken during your ownership?
    I also note the replaced leather on the front seat.
    How long have you owned the car? Has the wiring loom been replaced,
    I notice some different wiring around the fuse box?
    What are the studs in the top of the dash panel on the left top side of glove compartment?

Michael Berry

Hello,
    As i told you in my previous email i am located in United Kingdom and that's why i can't make this deal in person.
    The car is already at our Military Logistic Department from RAAF Melville Island, AU Army, crated and ready to go, I've arranged the shipping and the papers transfer anywhere in Australia and the delivery will take approx 3 to 5 working days (with 7 days return policy). The shipping will be free of charge for you because I will transport it using the internal logistic department.
    The sale will be managed only through Amazon Payments since they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions, and only after you will receive the car, I will receive the payment from them, in this way we are both 100% protected, during this 7 days your money stays in their bank account.
    You will have 7 days inspection period on it. If the car have any problems or you do not like it a full refund will be done no questions ask and i will pay the shipping back.
    So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see it before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 7 days to inspect it, i think this is more than fair for both of us.
    In order to start this transaction i will need your complete name, shipping address and phone#.
    After that you will receive an invoice from Amazon Payments that will tell you all the details you need to know about our transaction and also will give you the choice to proceed or not with the deal.
    If you agree with this terms please let me know so i can give you a call.
    Cheers

Lt. Steve Bellamy

I have been able to transfer the money yet.
    thanks MB and i thought i only learned about french cars on this site. what a bunch of !!!!!!!!

I reported the ad to Trovit via their report this ad, button.
    Interestingly they don't offer "scam ad" as one of the reasons for reporting an ad, all care, no responsibility.
    If you want to dissect his comments, he talks of RAAF in one moment and then the army in another. If I had more time I would have used the opportunity to have more fun, I'm disappointed in myself for that. Perhaps someone else has some time to kill. One of my favourite websites is 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet! if you haven't seen it, it's quite entertaining. ( JUST GO STRAIGHT TO THE TROPHY ROOM )
    Interestingly the only other DS that comes up on the site is a slightly different scam, but a scam none the less.

Having lived on Melville Island I can assure everyone there is NO RAAF on Melville, except in WWII, lots of fuel drums left over though. So yes I concur it's all bullshit. So much for my 1000th post, I was going to use it on my resto!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 21st September 2015 at 09:43 PM.
    JohnW, mberry, GreenBlood and 2 others like this.

Ask him if he's related to David Bellamy, the English Botanist, and can he do his accent, or is his real name Lt. Baloney? That was the car advertised in NSW for a very large sum - around 80k if I recall.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 21st September 2015 at 10:05 PM.
    mberry likes this.

A thread for the 68ers Tim! I was actually making enquiries about the car for someone else.

If Bellamy said he was a US Marine that might have been more plausible...

Fellow Frogger!

The black and maroon L15 on Trovit is also a scam
    The real owner advertised it a few months back on ebay for $22K

Tadpole

No doubt he likes the name Lt Steve & the NT , his location evolves depending on past "challenges"
    I had a recent experience :-

Hello again,
    As I mentioned in my previous e-mail at this moment I am in RAAF Tindal, NT military base, getting ready for Afghanistan, and I have the car with me.
    I'm in a special training program before my deployment and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or have visitors.
    I can ship the car to you without problems using army transport and logistic system. You will receive the car along with all the documents. As for the payment I can start a transaction through Amazon Payment.
    All I need is your full name and address so I can contact them and after that they will contact you to explain the entire procedure without any obligation to buy it or fees.They act as a third party and will protect both of us in this transaction.
    You'll make the payment in an Amazon managed trust fund!
    After that, I send it over ( the car will be delivered with the title, owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me).
    You will have 7 days inspection period on it from the day you'll receive the car, you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, ride it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to Amazon the sale. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the car ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described, in excellent condition), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no hidden or extra cost for you.
    So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see it before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 7 days to inspect it and I think this is more than fair for both of us.
    I tried to explain as best I can but if you have further questions do not hesitate to contact me.
    I will wait your details (full name and shipping address) if we have a deal.
    Please keep in mind that I need to sell the car this week.
    I am waiting your e-mail
    Best Regards,

Lt. Steve Rodriguez

Hi Steve,
    I have a friend based in Darwin , he is with the Australian Federal Police, & will be visiting Tindall Base this Friday - & he`s a car enthusiast, so he can have a look at the car! He`s obviously got the appropriare security clearance , so he would be ideal. Let me know your contact details & I can organise.

Best regards Bruce

Needless to say he didn`t get back to me -and doesn`t have a phone.

I then went looking on these "typically" second tier Australian "for sale" sites and dug up 10-12 other car scams all with collectable cars at around less than half of their typical values - with a range of stories - all had the email address embedded on the header photo in the same typeface. The site had a scam alert button - I got to reporting 5x and then got a message to say that was my "limit". Got on the same website a few days later , the main add was still there - tried to report again " you have already reported this scam"

Fellow Frogger!

Default bali car scam

a few years ago I saw an ad for a DS Chapron for sale in Indonesia..... a bloke claiming to have an American dad and Indonesian mum replied and said the car had come from USA to Bali and was left there when his dad died.... they were selling it.... $20k.... a bit of sniffing and checking and using google images and reverse search revealed the identical photos lifted from Holland dealers a few years back.. emails to Holland confirmed the exact car was under restoration in a workshop there and most certainly not in Indonesia.... an offer to the Indonesian to personally visit and hand over the $$ upon inspection put an end to all emails about the car...........

buyer beware

Fellow Frogger!

If I am not mistaken, a very well known NSW CitroŽn enthusiast got caught by this Bali car.

Richard

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    I have reported it to Gumtree as well

Yes I reported as well. It's been taken down now. Holidays are a dangerous thing. See below some entertaining exchanges I've been having with Lt Steve Bellamy:

(Crook):
    First you offer me $30.000, after that $23.000.

You want to deposit $10.000, after that $3.000 and now $5000.
    This is to much for me mate, simply to much.
    It's very late in UK now and tomorrow morning i will fly with my company in Denmark at Flyvestation Aalborg, so i need to go to sleep now.
    Give me some time to find a solution to make this deal in a safe manner with less expenses for both of us.
    Thank you for your patience and you have my word that tomorrow we will make this deal.
    (ME):
    You need my Amazon account details - I have to have an account to deposit (I rang them this morning). Did you speak to Adam Hudson from UK accounts? He couldn't look you up because he needs your account name. Please send this to me. Don't forget we can use Paypal - the fees are lower....I checked We would save about 700. If you insist on Amazon I would need you to reimburse me the difference. Or surely you have a private bank account? I've booked a flight to Alice Springs this afternoon and have to charter a smaller plane to fly to Melville. Give me your account details and I'll put 5,000 in now to get the ball rolling. I must say this is the slowest transaction I have ever made.

Please confirm that this DS is the V12 version and that the 6th gear is fully operable because they give a lot of trouble. Once you've done that and can confirm also that David Bellamy has driven the car (makes it worth more), I'm very happy to send the deposit....let's make it 5,000 until I see the car. Remember I'm offering to use Paypal to save you the 700 in fees. Let's face it we can all use the extra cash.

ME:
    Hey again Steve,

Who is your contact at logistics? When I rang RAAF they are confused and wondering if I mean civilian transport aid? Is that who has it? Let me know asap because I'm trying to halt the shipment so I can transport myself. They wanted your service number.....I don't really want to chase all this - can you just ring them and tell them to place it in the carpark out the front? They said there's usually plenty of room and a security guard at the gate so it would be safe for a day or two. I will drive it straight onto a flat bed truck. Will it make the drive back to Victoria? Let me know asap or I will need to close another deal first - yours isn't the only nice DS in Australia you see. Don't want to be rude but this is taking a really long time.

(Me):
    OK I understand. My last offer is 8,000 down. But it's OK I've found another one if you don't accept. I can understand that it is difficult for you to part with such a lovely car. Why sell after 10 happy years?

If you keep it in the long run it will still go up in value. By the way, someone has scammed your ad! They put your pictures on Gumtree claiming it to be their car. You should report them. I hate filthy dirty low-life thieves.

Please give my best wishes to David, and tell him I love his shows. I always thought he was just as good as Attenborough, who also drives a DS did you know? Nah I'm bullshitting. You probably wouldn't be used to that, being a soldier with the RAAF.

Best wishes for the future, and keep up the honest living.

Tim

ScotFrog and Goddess fan like this.

Who really does own this lovely car, and is it in fact still for sale? It's a really nice one despite the grubby crook's abuse of the the pictures! Not many of these left.

Tim

The car was on the carandclassic site in the UK until ........ yesterday, as far as I can tell. It was AU$86,000 Maybe it has sold.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information