• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: CX front wheel bearing problem

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX front wheel bearing problem

Hi,

The hub had lots of movement even with the axle going through it. When I removed the hub, a number of ball bearings fell out, Unfortunately, when I levered off the bearing the inner bearing disintegrated and now I have the inner race stuck on the hub with no gap to be able to lever it out. I do not have a welder, or a bench vice.

Any ideas?

Oh, and a previous owner had cut the loom that carries the brake wear indicator wires. I would really like to get my hands on that asshole....

Advertisement

Thanks

Warren

Someone will have a better idea, but cutting a slot on the inner with a diamond wheel using a Dremel, if you can get it at the right angle, and then cracking it with a cold chisel comes to mind. It should slide off then. Need to be super-careful not to damage the stub axle with the Dremel but they are quite a precise device. Someone must have a better idea though! I'm interested in the outcome, so thanks for posting.

Best of luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I take it, that although you do not have a welder, the stuck portion is able to be transported.

This means it can be taken to someone with a welder. Or you hit Gumtree for an unloved old "boat anchor" arc unit and some cheap sticks from Bunnies.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Yep,

I have decided to take it down to the local chap tomorrow.... So close, yet so far. I discovered I need a new cold chisel - mine is 30 years old and rather worn

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Yep, I have decided to take it down to the local chap tomorrow.... So close, yet so far. I discovered I need a new cold chisel - mine is 30 years old and rather worn cheers
    To be honest, not being Shane, I would too I think. Sharpen the old chisel with a good sharp file.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have always managed to lever the inner off with two opposing large screw drivers as I explained to you before! The inners are a press fit in the hub! There is no room for a 3 leg puller. Get started with a cold chisel with a ROUNDED end until you see a small space between the step of the hub and the inner race face. Then take over with the screw drivers. ' YOU CAN DO IT '! to quote Arnie!
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The inner fell apart as I was levering it so, I was left with the inner seat in the hub. I am going to buy a new cold chisel tomorrow - mine really has had it and I don't have anything to grind it with anyway (what happened to all the tools I used to have?). I have sorted this sort of thing before - once you get a nick on it, you can hammer it around with the cold chisel working it outwards till there is room for a couple of screwdrivers. The outer one slid off quite easily.

Why not do it with a bead of stick weld? That's how trailing arm bearing cups are most easily stripped out (like the CX rears, par exemple).

Not a WorkCover approved technique here, but real world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM347ewaLEo

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Because I don't have a welder and can't afford one at the moment. This would be the easiest method though

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Why not do it with a bead of stick weld? That's how trailing arm bearing cups are most easily stripped out (like the CX rears, par exemple).

Not a WorkCover approved technique here, but real world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM347ewaLEo
    Hi,
    I did not watch the video. While it is good to run a bead of weld inside a cup to remove it as it will shrink it a bit. However if you weld an inner ring it will shrink it too and it will be tighter

My suggestion is to just grind it with an angle grinder back and fowards across its width with the flat of the wheel in one spot until it is thin and it will also heat it and take the temper out of it a bit there. Then it can be hit with the cold chisel there and it will spread it a bit or split it. Then lever it off with two screw drivers sharpened a bit if necessary so you can drive them in behind.

Note if you can file a cold chisel to sharpen it then throw it away instead or re heat-treat it for a bit more hardness.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 20th September 2015 at 10:33 PM.
    David S likes this.

The inner fell apart as I was levering it so, I was left with the inner seat in the hub. I am going to buy a new cold chisel tomorrow - mine really has had it and I don't have anything to grind it with anyway (what happened to all the tools I used to have?). I have sorted this sort of thing before - once you get a nick on it, you can hammer it around with the cold chisel working it outwards till there is room for a couple of screwdrivers. The outer one slid off quite easily.
    I have performed this operation several times now and yes the bearing will fall apart once the inner half comes off. You can usually get the chisel in between the ridge of the inner race and the hub seating face by carefully working around the circumference. If you do have to resort to the nick method you described it would be best to use an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting disc to make the nick in the race closest to the centre of the bearing. I doubt whether you will nick it with a cold chisel the race is very hard.
    Cheers Gerry

I was presuming the really stuck part to be the cup. That always seems to be the bit on a FWD hub which hangs on tightest, and needs the most force to press in when new.

Fellow Frogger

Isn't this where you'd preferably use a bearing splitter to get under the edge of the cup and then press it off?

Yes, if available. In the place I haunt there are two large boxes of steel bits - including sundry dead bearing inners and outers - to use as mandrels and sleeves with standard press gear. I bent a set of V-blocks and a Val torsion bar doing the Berlingo trailing arm stubs.

Fellow Frogger

I reckon the cheapie Chinese set I bought recently will probably behave like cheese under those conditions. Rather like the drain plug set that twisted on first use. The factory tools are usually made by Facom and with good reason. Can't they take a beating???

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why dont' you just get a pair of bearing unit from a wreck and fit to that car .................... The main thing is the wreck needs to have the driveshafts still fitted. The bearing unit comes apart if you lower the weight of the car onto them without the driveshafts fitted.

It's unlikely you will ever wear out a CX wheel bearing that isn't "dry".

Cutting the brake pad warning light wires off is a smart move. They are normal wire and will fracture again not long after repaired.............. Infact I'd say the brake pads will always last longer than the wires to them (unless you can source some of that ABS wheel sensor type wire that seems infinitely flexible).
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Done!
    Andy at AAA in Surrey Hills showed me another way of doing it. You cut a thin slot along the face of the cup (where the bearings run) with an angle grinder and then hit it in the slot with a cold chisel. The cup splits into 2 rings and, is loose enough to slide off. Now, had I known of this method, I could have ground my cold chisel to shape and cut the slot with the angle grinder that I had FORGOTTEN I owned
    My mind is going......

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's unlikely you will ever wear out a CX wheel bearing that isn't "dry".
    Shane L.
    Over greasing will wreck them as I previously explained!
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The bearing came pre-packed with grease

The bearing came pre-packed with grease
    Yes! DO NOT ADD Extra!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information