• 1 Post By addo
  • 2 Post By daffyduck
  • 1 Post By Houtan
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By CarNut
  • 1 Post By CarNut

Thread: The CX

Default The CX

I really like the CX, and in another life would like to run one. But I'm a committed D and Traction owner and can't spread any thinner!

I just can't believe the value of CXs at the moment though. Such an incredible car for such reasonable purchase money. The one's on car sales have been there a long time and seem excellent propositions to me. The few times I've driven the CX I've found it to be like a car on rails. Such amazing dynamics on the road. And the looks, so striking....different to the D look but similarly amazing. Do we need to fear the after purchase expenses perhaps? I just think it's amazing how much car a few thousand will get you with a CX.

Advertisement

Tim
    Jinandfonic and CXVingtCinq like this.

Totally agree. As with any old car there could be problems, but parts are readily available. No more complicated than a D. In fact I have talked to many D drivers who have owned CXs and they all say to me (only) that the CX is a better car to drive, particularly at speed. I don't know as I haven't driven Ds long enough to get over the vintage view of mudguards out through the windscreen. How old school.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Totally agree. As with any old car there could be problems, but parts are readily available. No more complicated than a D. In fact I have talked to many D drivers who have owned CXs and they all say to me (only) that the CX is a better car to drive, particularly at speed. I don't know as I haven't driven Ds long enough to get over the vintage view of mudguards out through the windscreen. How old school.
    If you want that old school view "Drive a Traction"

Jaahn is probably thinking "Oh no not another CX thread"
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

I am LOVING all this talk about CXs. I remember going to see Lance at DS motors (back in the mid 90's) as a workmate had offered to sell me his C-matic 2400. I asked Lance if they really were all that complex, and he said he didn't know what all the fuss was about..."it's just a four cylinder car with a hydraulic pump!!" And he's right. Once you look at the systems and take the time to understand what they do and how they do it, they're not so scary. Alot more complicated than a HZ Kingswood, of course, but not all that scary.
    I didn't end up buying my workmate's CX, but I did end up buying a '79 Prestige (4 speed manual) back in about '02. It was my daily driver for about 4 years and I loved it. Absolutely loved it. The single wiper was amazingly effective in the rain, it stuck to the road like s*&% to a blanket, and it turned every road into a boulevarde.
    I still have the old girl, but she's in retirement for now after an altercation with an ironbark tree. Nothing that can't be fixed, but I have other projects that I'm sinking money into at the moment, so it's a case of looking forward to "delayed gratification".
    And the CXs look so good in SO many colours!! I love the mint green, and the blue that they come in. I love the silver. Even white looks good on a CX . Not that I'm biased at all......... I remember wondering if I'd ever get used to that speedo and tacho, and the non-cancelling indicators......but once I DID get used to them, I found they made perfect sense!
    Yes, I'm a CX fan for life, that's for sure!
    Jinandfonic, JohnW and CXVingtCinq like this.

I hope the ironbark pulled through OK.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Barely a mark................ Bent the door skin and shifted the B-pillar though
    The CX-truck-show-flyer-005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    Barely a mark................ Bent the door skin and shifted the B-pillar though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck show flyer 005.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	74482
    Lovely Prestige with a vinyl roof. Must be saved.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck show flyer 005.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	74482
    That's a prestige Where on earht are you going to find another door Are you sure the B pillar is bent. It doesn't look hugely bad in a picture

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's a prestige Where on earht are you going to find another door Are you sure the B pillar is bent. It doesn't look hugely bad in a picture

seeya,
    shane L.
    I'm on earth. When do you want it? I can make a few calls.
    addo and JohnW like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    I'm on earth. When do you want it? I can make a few calls.
    They were never sold in Australia. The back doors are station wagon door length (I thinkt he window frame is different though ??). Of course the problem is wagons were never sold in Australia either .............................

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DS is Brilliant, SM is Wonderful, CX is Perfect. I am now in restoration process of a CX, I restored some classic cars before but I can tell you every single peace of CX designed perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    DS is Brilliant, SM is Wonderful, CX is Perfect. I am now in restoration process of a CX, I restored some classic cars before but I can tell you every single piece of CX designed perfectly.
    Yes only let down by the quality of door card covering material, bonding strip strength on the rear glazing and seat covering cloth. None of this fares very well in the Australian sun!
    CarNut likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

seeya,
    shane L.
    The B-pillar IS bent......it's dragged the rear door forward so that the gap at the trailing edge of the door is alot bigger than it was. The good news is that it IS repairable. The door pillar can be pulled back once the door is removed, and the door skin can be removed from the door by undoing the folds around the perimeter. A good panelbeater (there are still a few around, as opposed to panel replacers lol) can straighten out the skin and, if the skin isn't repairable, there are tradesmen around that can actually fabricate a skin from scratch using templates taken from the opposite side door.
    I'll give the poor ol' girl some lovin' at some stage, but it's gotta stay on the back-burner for a little while yet while I get a couple of houses done. I gots to fund me car habit SOMEhow.....
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Yes only let down by the quality of door card covering material, bonding strip strength on the rear glazing and seat covering cloth. None of this fares very well in the Australian sun!
    Yes I`m agree with you about door card coverings. hard to find, expensive to restore.

They were never sold in Australia. The back doors are station wagon door length (I thinkt he window frame is different though ??). Of course the problem is wagons were never sold in Australia either .............................

seeya,
    Shane L.
    But we're still on planet earth. I reckon there is a parts car willing to donate a door within 100 miles of me. There's a place not 50 miles from me that has countless CX today. Shall we call it Area 53? If someone is hamboned we might just have to put in some effort.

seeya,
    shane L.
    There's a dead Prestige south of Perth. Might have that door. You'd have the choice of panel beat what you have or fix the rust in this one....

Let me know if you want to pursue it.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    But we're still on planet earth. I reckon there is a parts car willing to donate a door within 100 miles of me. There's a place not 50 miles from me that has countless CX today. Shall we call it Area 53? If someone is hamboned we might just have to put in some effort.
    You want to tackle another stash?? Wow....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The door pillar can be pulled back once the door is removed, and the door skin can be removed from the door by undoing the folds around the perimeter. A good panelbeater (there are still a few around, as opposed to panel replacers lol) can straighten out the skin and, if the skin isn't repairable, there are tradesmen around that can actually fabricate a skin from scratch using templates taken from the opposite side door.
    So glad to hear that!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Correct, Shane. The rear door proper is the same on the prestige as the wagon but the window surround is different.
    CarNut, your prestige will reward any work you do on it. The ride on the long wheelbase versions is even better than the sedan.
    Daffy, looks as though you could walk across the Pacific with the door under your arm!
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

The diesel on carsales looks great as does the safari. I passed on a lovely 2500 gti safari about 6 years ago. It was a ripper, immaculate.

Tim

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Listen, quite seriously, if you don't think you will get onto fixing the prestige, I would be seriously interested so, have a think about it and let me know.

cheers

Warren

Fellow Frogger!

I fully intend to carry out the repairs on my Prestige, but thankyou (Warren) for offering to give the old girl a loving home.
    I spent quite a bit on my Prestige in the time I used it as a daily driver. I bought a whole car in the UK, just for the seats and door trims, as the rest of the car was pretty rusty. The guy had plenty of interest in the car from other people in the UK and Wales, but he was impressed that I was the only person who actually took the trouble to call him on the number that he provided on eBay. I wanted the car to retain as much "patina" as possible, so I wanted to avoid having the leather upholstery replaced with skins inferior to the originals. I just love the way that absolutely everything seems to be covered in leather, including the inside of the glovebox.
    I agree with the ride assessment....absolutely wonderful. The Prestige always made me feel special, and privileged to be able to experience the results of such engineering on a daily basis. Everything else on the road just seemed inferior, and every other driver was deemed to be in ignorant bliss.

Daffyduck and John W.....I won't have the time or energy to effect the repairs to my Prestige for a while yet. But sometimes it's a good idea to grab parts when they become available. John, I'd be interested to see where the lead on that Prestige south of Perth goes, since it could be easier to repair rust than to repair the skin on my door.

Scrapping my Prestige, or even parting ways with it, is out of the question for me. I did alot of miles in it in the time it was my "daily", and I also did some great trips in it, so there's a sentimental attachment to it. Indeed, it was the first french car I ever bought.
    daffyduck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You want to tackle another stash?? Wow....
    The owner told me I would have to. This one is much closer to home. No NOS stuff.

Fvck yeah. Citroen captures another soul. It's the nature of the beast.

Thread Information