• 1 Post By WRB
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: CX subframe paint

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX subframe paint

Hello,

Advertisement

Does the Subframe paint on the CX have a name or number?

ta

Warren

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hello,

Does the Subframe paint on the CX have a name or number?

ta

Warren
    It might be PB ............................ Pooh brown You could just get some matched at your local auto-paints store.......
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will just take in a sample of my poo - they should get the idea.....
    addo likes this.

It appears that they were originally powder coated. That would be a huge task getting it transported to a powder coating facilty with the oven large enough to cope with an object that size!
    I painted mine with Mission Brown Killrust epoxy enamel sprayed with a gun. It seems durable enough so far but is a little bit lighter in colour than the original!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 14th September 2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Icon3

I will just take in a sample of my poo - they should get the idea.....
    Not a good idea

Probably better to read through Gerry's CX restoration thread carefully, many of your questions will have matching answers. . .

Gerry's CX Restoration--restored pics

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Here is a shot of a GS front subframe painted as Gerry has suggested in Killrust Mission Brown epoxy enamel. Not as brown as the original but fairly close.
    roger

CX subframe paint-dsc_0102.jpg

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Here is a shot of a GS front subframe painted as Gerry has suggested in Killrust Mission Brown epoxy enamel. Not as brown as the original but fairly close.
    roger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0102.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	74436
    Roger that looks really good, I guess being an epoxy enamel it should be tough enough to be up to the job.

On my D there are several brown components under the bonnet and I've found Export brand Mission Brown to be a fairly close match to the original colour, it's a richer, warmer version and not quite as milky as Killrust.
    Export Aerosol Paint - Enamel, Mission Brown, 250g - Supercheap Auto Australia

Of course the D might be a different shade to the CX and GS.

In this pic, the strap on the LHM tank is the original colour and the triangular wing is Export Mission Brown, a little lighter and brighter.

I tried a chrome paint on the LHM tank unsuccessfully, it would need to be re-tinned. I've since cleaned off the silver paint and will leave it with it's earned patina

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger

I think most of those parts would have been lacquer dipped and put through an oven. That's why you often see run marks in the original finish and it's quite variable. You can approximate the process with small parts by dipping them into a container filled with water and a layer of paint floating on the top. Lower the part through the paint and it will be coated, but you don't need a full container of paint.

If you go to the trouble of having paint mixed to suit and want a satin finish, you also need to get an additive to knock off the gloss. There's a Jag Chocolate Brown from about 1980 that's fairly close as a starting base to tint a little. There is a crowd in Sydney that can supply the correct satin formulation as an aerosol, but I can't recall the detail offhand. They don't post from memory - dangerous goods. Also, some D items were black rather than brown.

Electroless nickel plating could be the go for the LHM tank, but green paint is cheap and you should only have a couple of trainspotters complaining if it's a late car.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Also, some D items were black rather than brown.

Electroless nickel plating could be the go for the tank, but green paint is cheap and you will only have a few trainspotters complaining.
    True on the Brown vs Black, from what I've seen it appears brown on the very late cars - likewise silver vs green on the LHM tanks. My tank will stay mouldy silver . . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Also, some D items were black rather than brown.

Electroless nickel plating could be the go for the tank, but green paint is cheap and you will only have a few trainspotters complaining.
    True on the Brown vs Black, from what I've seen it appears brown on the very late cars - likewise silver vs green on the LHM tanks. My tank will stay mouldy silver . . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The only problem with the durability of the Killrust epoxy enamel is the fact that it does not like being soaked in petrol, This causes it to wrinkle and lift off the surface! A mere wipe over with a petrol rag won't do much damage, but constantly wet from a petrol leak will prove unsightly!
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will go with the Mission Brown in a can. I don't have a compressor at the moment.....

Thanks

I will go with the Mission Brown in a can. I don't have a compressor at the moment.....

Thanks
    Do you mean an aerosol can? You would need quite a number of them to cover an entire chassis.
    If sprayed with a spray gun from a 500ml can you would be able to add a little black to the Mission brown to get something closer to the proper colour. I do this with painting engine blocks. A little black is added to Deep Brunswick Green!
    You could hire a compressor and gun set up once you are ready to squirt colour!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    The only problem with the durability of the Killrust epoxy enamel is the fact that it does not like being soaked in petrol, This causes it to wrinkle and lift off the surface! A mere wipe over with a petrol rag won't do much damage, but constantly wet from a petrol leak will prove unsightly!
    Leaking petrol will leave paint looking unsightly? Certainly worth bearing in mind.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I had a compressor that I hadn't used in years so, I gave it away. Might see if I can get it back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Robins View Post
    Leaking petrol will leave paint looking unsightly? Certainly worth bearing in mind.
    I understand that there is an additive that prevents this and hardens the paint. The vintage engine boys use it and achieve some pretty good finishes! I must find out what it is!
    Cheers Gerry

"Enamel Add" as it was called, or enamel hardener, is what you're looking for.

Has anyone actually found a powdercoater who can tackle larger things? I'd have thought there might be public transport or marine demand for it?

Other options are less standard catalysed finishes like polyacrathane or (if it's still sold) Imron type 2K coatings.

If CX values are genuinely on the up, doing a repair job that befits the imminent pricepoint rather than looking like a cheapskate and a chancer, is surely the way forward.

you can hit it with a topcoat of KBS ( a word from my sponsor- like hell) clear and that shad is bullet proof, plus chemical resistant of course : )

Thread Information