Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Peterbuc
  • 1 Post By Houtan
  • 1 Post By John P

Thread: CX wiring

Icon5 CX wiring

Have a 1985 2500 CX auto,(older dash no clock). Have checked all relays, some 14 odd. Wiring trouble driving me cracy. Registered car 10 months still trouble with wiring. Have tried everywhere but can't find any workshop pages for this car. The manuels are either earlier or the series 2 dash. My dash has no clock but temp gauge and blank next to it. Wires are confusing and colors seem mixed up or not marked. Need help with the left right dash switches. I sold my C5 for this car and my wife wants to put it out for council cleanup day with all the other rubbish. Please help me!!!.

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Easy, dude. Breathe. Zen.

Now, what is the problem? What is the car doing or not doing?
    addo and JohnW like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hi! Hotrodelectric - The last owner had issues with the dash so cut and pasted. I bought the car and did not find out problems until driving it home some 1200kls later. My mechanic fixed the starting problem but trying to fix electrical mesh is a nightmare as I can't find proper diagrams for my model. It seems as though the 85 GTi was inbetween models as the dash is older yet the 7/85 GTi hash the series 2 dash. I need the diagrams and colors of this model. Peterbuc

Quote Originally Posted by Peterbuc View Post
    Hi! Hotrodelectric - The last owner had issues with the dash so cut and pasted. I bought the car and did not find out problems until driving it home some 1200kls later. My mechanic fixed the starting problem but trying to fix electrical mesh is a nightmare as I can't find proper diagrams for my model. It seems as though the 85 GTi was inbetween models as the dash is older yet the 7/85 GTi hash the series 2 dash. I need the diagrams and colors of this model. Peterbuc
    OK. Like I said, breathe. You have what's known as a Series 1.5. No clock doesn't matter, GTi doesn't matter. More importantly, is your car fuel injection? I have to assume RHD, is the turn signal switch on the left or right of the pod? 7/85 would be an 86. Do you have the ORGA number? That will determine exactly when the car was built.

I'll have to do some scrounging, I **might** have the correct diagrams.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Bill As far as I am aware all CXs including RHD cars have the indicator switch on the left of the instrument Pod/binnacle. The whole assembly was just moved across not mirror reversed!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Bill As far as I am aware all CXs including RHD cars have the indicator switch on the left of the instrument Pod/binnacle. The whole assembly was just moved across not mirror reversed!
    Thanks Gerry. I know that the switches on the D did that between LHD-->RHD. With the switches same for everybody on a CX, common sense reared it's ugly head.

That's it, everybody!! The CX is NOT a genuine Citroen!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Anyway .... pull the spare and shield under it out... and check the big multi-plugs under it. Fit a new earth cable and connections, above the battery you will find an earth point, remove this and clean.

What exactly is the issue with the electricals

If you have the glass fuses under the bonnet, I would suggest these intermittently working will be the source of many frustrations.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Thanks Gerry. I know that the switches on the D did that between LHD-->RHD. With the switches same for everybody on a CX, common sense reared it's ugly head.

That's it, everybody!! The CX is NOT a genuine Citroen!!
    Robert Opron was employed by Citroen. Was he not? And was not the CX being designed and put into production at the time of the formation of Citroen-PSA? It is the last fully in house designed Citroen. Not something cobbled up on a Peugeot floor pan. Yes the CX uses 504 door hinges and check brackets! This does not make it a Peugroen!

The switching remained the same for economy reasons. I have a RHD Fiat 124 AC coupe in the garage and it too has the same switching as the LHD model. I think this is a common practice with European RHD production.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

The Citroen CX Petrol 1975 to 1988 Haynes has the correct electrical diagrams pages 290-296. The dash warning lights are the same. The section, with pics, of the dash is not the same though. I have no colour photos or how to pages for the electrics of this car. The mechanic has it now as I found a wire off the starter and once put back on she started. I drove her to him. He will check for me. He's good with electrics. Yes Shes all left handed opposite to our Aussie cars. Thank's for replying it's great reading all the feedback. please keep your feedback.

Peter-

The only CX manuals I have are either 818 (9/75 printing), and for the Series 2 from 7/85. The 818 is probably fairly close as the dash didn't change greatly for the Series 1 and 1.5 run. PM me with your email address, I'll get what ever you can use off to you.

Edit- just remembered- I have a pretty big physical pile of factory CX bulletins. I'll look through those, and see if there is anything you can use immediately. If so, I'll scan them off for you.

Thanks a lot mate. My email is [email protected]
    I would really appreciate any docos on repairs to the CX as it is going to be our travel car whenever we go away. If there is stuff about the front and rear air con that would be great too. Thanks again for helping me out, much appreciated, buddy.

My mechanic & I got the blinkers, wipers going but the horn is a problem. Anyone have relays wire diagrams in front of battery and infront, under lights as we think the problems seem to be from that area. Has anyone rewired and cleaned up that area. Thanks
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

My mechanic & I got the blinkers, wipers going but the horn is a problem. Anyone have relays wire diagrams in front of battery and infront, under lights as we think the problems seem to be from that area. Has anyone rewired and cleaned up that area. Thanks
    In my internet site you can find wiring diagrams and circuits on repair manuals.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    In my internet site you can find wiring diagrams and circuits on repair manuals.

Cheers
    That's absolutely beautiful. I didn't even know 818-3 existed. Now, from somewhere we have to come up with a copy of 818-2.

When I have a little more time, I want to check out the remainder of your site.

Well done Peter. Fortunately I haven't had to do much to the electrics on mine yet.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

The horn relay is on the front of the left hand inner guard; not with the group of 3 or 4 relays but by itself. Simply trace the wire to the horn compressor back to its source. That's it. I found the Haynes CX2500 wiring diagram good, but don't put too much reliance on colour coding as I've never found 2 CXs the same. Your friends are a multimeter &/or a test light, logic and patience. You will win and you will have the character of a saint when you do!
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Houtan, the download site is full of adds and, when I tried to download the 2 series one manuals, I ended up getting some kind of software installer which I sent straight to the trash. How can I get just the PDFs?

thanks

Maybe I'm just desperate and making up fictisious manuals. I have found a schema type picture of the wiring for my cx. The manual is in dutch I think, but the picture is my cx to a Tee. I will print it off & try to use it on Monday. Have a great weekend all. Peterbuc.

Thankyou John P.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Houtan, the download site is full of adds and, when I tried to download the 2 series one manuals, I ended up getting some kind of software installer which I sent straight to the trash. How can I get just the PDFs?

thanks
    I Uploaded the files in 4shared.com that is well known site for sharing files around the world. when you are going to 4shered site don`t click on big download buttons because they are for downloading 4shared download manager etc... you just click the small download button under file name and your internet browser/manager will download the file. also when you download many files with direct links from 4shared site in a day. they make a timer for your downloads because they want you to download their download manager. when it happens just wait to download timer goes to 0 second then you can see download button.

Thanks I wiil clean up the earth as part of an overall cleanup.

Default CX wiring

Thanks I agree. I have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    That's absolutely beautiful. I didn't even know 818-3 existed. Now, from somewhere we have to come up with a copy of 818-2.

When I have a little more time, I want to check out the remainder of your site.

I hope these files can help Citroen owner. also 818-4 is exists too and is about automatic or semi automatic gearbox. sadly I don`t have them yet.

Someone in ebay have a copy of 818-2 for sale:

Citroen CX Dealer Workshop Manual Volume 818 2 Complete Printed English Lang | eBay

There is also another manuals for CX are exists, 850 (April 1975), 830-4, 831-2, 838-4, 839-3 (1981) , thats only the numbers that I know.

Cheers
    Last edited by Houtan; 19th September 2015 at 02:03 AM.

Tanks Houtan! I found this file, not in English, but diagrams correct. Sent p of name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX wiring-84-cx.jpg  

Thread Information