CX Engine and Gearbox oil
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Engine and Gearbox oil

Hi

The original engine oil for M23 engines was Total Altigrade GTS 20w50 and Original Gearbox Lubricant was Total EP80. now I searching for best oil and Gearbox oil for the car.

I guess Altirade GTS was a mineral oil and many of today 20w50 engine oils like Total Quartz 5000 are still mineral. my question is can I use synthetic or full synthetic engine oils or can I use 10w40 ones? or minerals still better for this engines?

and for my gear box there is no EP80 anymore but I can find in local Total BV 75w80 (Original lubricant for Xantia) and Total TM 80w90 and there is no EP range here. any Idea that witch can be better match with EP80?

Cheers

Advertisement

Castrol VMX80 and Penrite 15/60 synthetic is what I have been using! Seems to work well!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 12th September 2015 at 09:41 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

I would second Castrol VMX 80 as it seems to keep my old 5 speed box quiet most of the time. I think I am running a semi synthetic oil in my engine at the moment. I am sure that a fairly think synthetic would be ok but I have also heard that once you change to synthetic, you shouldn't change back to a mineral oil.

Cheers, Ken

Guys,

Remember Houtan is in Iran... I'm not sure whether Castrol is there, and bet Penrite is NOT.

I haven't used EP80 for years, partly because of lack availability, but rather an 80w90 oil in my Renault transaxles. No problems. But I really don't quite know enough to advise, because there are reported issues with brass/bronze synchro rings with some oils. The R8 specified an EP80 oil, the 4CV a Hypoid-type oil, and we always used to have Castrol Hypoy90. I think both transaxles have a hypoid bevel gear train so why different oils? I have no idea.

I'd think that any good quality 20w50 mineral oil would be fine for the CX. I use Castrol Magnatech in the Xantia and CX.

Hopefully someone who knows much more than I do can comment more on the transmission oil question.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks everyone.

In Iran famous Brands are Total and Elf from France, Liqui Moly, Fuschs and Addinol from Germany. also Castrol and Shell are famous here, Castrol have a production line in Iran but they only produce engine oils like GTX and Magnatech. Also we have TOP1 from USA.

In Tehran, Iran summer hot days are about 43 C and winter nights about -10 C,

Today I asked from Castrol and Liqui Moly they both have fully synthetic 10w60 oils but their 20w50 oils are mineral.

I have been running my CX on Mobil 1 10w50 for 10 years. It is brilliant. Therefore I think the 10w60 synthetic oils you can find would be a good bet. Remember those numbers mean they behave like a 10w oil when cold and a 60w oil when hot. Exactly what you want
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

When I start to restore the engine I bought original piston rings, The local ring seller advice me that use the 3 peace oil rings but I bought the original one peace with spring piston oil ring just like the original service manual. So I don`t know if this rings have any problems with synthetic oils?

Thread Information