• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 2 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: LHM leak

Fellow Frogger!

Default LHM leak

This is in part continued from a previous thread, but asks a slightly different question.

Which is this: why would a suspension boot (or other part of the LHM system) only leak after the car has been stationery for several days?

Advertisement

This has now happened numerous times. The leaks are intermittent, and have often been well and truly after the car has settled (and, I would have assumed, the pressure has been released from the system). This week it has happened again, after having reinstalled a previuously incorrectly fitted boot. It was several days before it started leaking, and that was without having started or moved the car.

Is it that the boot is in effect drawing fluid back from the (depressurised) system and then leaking through whatever gap there might be?

I don't get it...

JBN

There should be no LHM leaks, regardless of the state of pressurisation of the suspension.

What model, which boot?

John

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    This is in part continued from a previous thread, but asks a slightly different question.

Which is this: why would a suspension boot (or other part of the LHM system) only leak after the car has been stationery for several days?

This has now happened numerous times. The leaks are intermittent, and have often been well and truly after the car has settled (and, I would have assumed, the pressure has been released from the system). This week it has happened again, after having reinstalled a previuously incorrectly fitted boot. It was several days before it started leaking, and that was without having started or moved the car.

Is it that the boot is in effect drawing fluid back from the (depressurised) system and then leaking through whatever gap there might be?

I don't get it...
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you are describing. . .

Do you actually have an external leak? Or are you concerned the suspension boot fills with LHM at rest?

If the suspension cylinder seals are worn, LHM leaks past and into the boot, when the car is in use the boot has a pumping action that will cause any leaked LHM to be returned to the reservoir via the rislan return lines.

Even when you have new seals there will be some leaking into the boot, this would be regarded as normal. If you have an external leak, it should be easy to track down. Check the high pressure line is nipped up, if work has been performed here recently, was a new pipe seal fitted? Check the condition of the boot, repro boots would be regarded as suspect. Check the rislan return line, these can be easily damaged by ham fisted mechanics when re-fitting to the boot, if it is kinked it may have a small break.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

The boot is just to keep dust out
    Leaks mean worn seals or dolphins

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    The boot is just to keep dust out
    Leaks mean worn seals or dolphins
    No, the boot is there to return the normal leakage back to the tank. Everything is designed to leak, then catch it's own leaks on a Hydraulic Citroen. That's why the hydraulic bits never wear out.

That is why there is so many boots and return lines..... To capture all the leakage everywhere and return it to the reseviour Leaks onto the ground... and to the outside world usually always mean a split boot or return line.... Trust me, I have at least 1/2dozen on the cars around the yard right now ..... My shed floor will NEVER rust

seeya,
    Shane L.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

when the STOP light comes on take it your nearest Citroen dealer! So the brochures insist. I can take a photo of my driveway to highlight the emotional instability of Citroens. Even when you love them they still weep.
    UFO and ScotFrog like this.

Spent four hours on Monday trying to get the D Super 5 started after several months of inactivity. Would run with some "start ya bastard" but not on fuel from tank. Tried fresh fuel bypassing the pump. Would run - switch to tank and no go. Anyway - it eventually decided to pack it in completely - the starter solenoid stopped working so no start. Left car and went to Perth. Came back yesterday to discover a large pool of LHM spreading around the RHS rear wheel! So after replacing the water pump, all drive belts, hoses, repainted the radiator, fitted new mounting rubbers, radiator caps etc it repays me with a puddle.

All that love scorned!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Putain Citroen!!

It has to do with the ways boots can fail.
    First they crack. With use and time the cracks get worse.
    Depending on how the car settles to rest combined with the dynamic nature of the rubber part determines when and where the leak actually happens or not. I've had cars with completely rotten boots (holes) that didn't leak consistently and sometimes not at all.

Thread Information