radiator bellows staples
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: radiator bellows staples

Default radiator bellows staples

Can anybody who has done it, or knows if there is a thread point me to the neatest and most time efficient method to re-staple the vinyl bellows to the aluminium throat?

Thanks,

Advertisement
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

look up bifurcated rivets and get some then the misery will be greatly reduced! Staples no!
    Lasya likes this.

Hi Lasya,

As forumnoreason states you need the bifurcated rivets but you actually do also need standard long reach staples for some of the job. Normal stationery staples are a tad undersize (gauge) compared with original but I used them successfully. see towards the end of the post.

DS Air Duct

I suspect you will get heavier staples for use in commercial staple guns too.

I used chrome plated brass bifurcated rivets available from any good saddler or upholstery suppliers and they were identical to original. If you have trouble finding them send me a PM, I've got plenty left from the job. If you are in Melbourne look up 'Lefflers' to get them off the shelf.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    look up bifurcated rivets and get some then the misery will be greatly reduced! Staples no!
    Hi Steve,
    I think the staples Lasya refer to are per these in attached image.
    radiator bellows staples-20150907_shroud-.jpg

SF.

I wonder if the type of staples used in furniture manufacture would be suitable? They are of a much heavier gauge than stationary staples!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I wonder if the type of staples used in furniture manufacture would be suitable? They are of a much heavier gauge than stationary staples!
    They actually don't have to be all that heavy and if too heavy it could prove difficult to assemble. From memory the originals were 0.3mm dia where standard staples are 0.24mm dia (actually not a circular cross section). The ones I extracted were corroded and this might have been responsible for the increase in diameter which I was measuring but hard to say.

SF

you don't actually need staples : ) they're a PITA and the rivets do the job well. : ) But if you want to drive yourself crazy putting them in... oh ok I suppose I better check if I did use them�� I think I thought at the time just do rivets!

The staples I was seeking advice on where actually the ones up the other end of the photo in ScotFrogs post - the ones holding the bellows to the alloy duct. I've actually just finished using 1mm stainles welding wire, bent it against pliers and twisted it behind. The first has a bit of a convex bow to it, but the others all look like the originals and hold tight!

I actually was going to use some pretty bif. rivets but couldn't get any in time.

Thanks all.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Thread Information