C5 Heater matrix hose
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 Heater matrix hose

Hi guys.
    New here..thanks for providing such a great forum to Citroen owners.
    We have a 2005 C5 wagon and recently discovered where our coolant has been leaking out of. One of the hoses that goes from the engine, through the firewall into the heater has broken. There are 2 hoses on the firewall and it is the one on the left (as you look from the front of the engine bay)..it has a little screw cap/valve on top of the 90 degree elbow on the firewall side.
    I ordered a genuine one from Alan Mance Citroen and was told it was a 2 day delivery from Sydney, but now they're saying it's on a 3 week backorder from France

Advertisement

Can anyone please help with any wrecking yard or parts supplier they know might have this hose. We need this car on the road "yesterday".
    I was going to give French Connection in Airport West a call tomorrow. Does anyone think they would have something like this?
    Thanks very much in advance for any help/input.

Cheers
    D

At the least, all you need is the elbow plus enough length of hose to slip a brass coupler into, then it may be spliced into the old line. Pretty much any C5 of its generation should be a suitable donor if you go this way.

Tadpole

Thanks addo! The hose is broken exactly on the bottom of the elbow, and it seems to be some sort of a double layer hose (i'm not very savvy in this department). The inner layer has broken off the elbow...hope this makes sense..

It may be a plastic barb that extends from the elbow to inside the hose.

If you're slightly crafty, that sort of thing can often be recycled by carefully excavating all the old plastic from the rubber hose, and stripping back the donor elbow to reveal this barb. Use a standard hose clamp, tightened only enough to stop it weeping when hot.

Tadpole

Hey thanks again addo.. Ohh, I think I understand what you're saying. SO it is actually the elbow that is broken, not the hose..? The hose just slides onto the elbow, but part of the elbow has broken off and is stuck inside the hose...? Do you know what the little valve on top of the elbow is for and can the line function properly without it? It is one like this
    Peugeot 307 Citroen 2 0 HDI EGR to Heater Matrix Hose 90BHP RHY Engine Radiator | eBay

Thanks heaps again

The cap covers an air bleeder, this is an essential part of bleeding your coolant system.

Looking at the picture, the black plastic band is an injection moulded "hose clamp". The hose slips over a barbed/ribbed section on the bottom of the elbow and that moulded clamp makes it stay put. You can carefully saw off the moulded clamp with a hacksaw blade until it's paper thin in the saw cut bottom, and then twist a flat bladed screwdriver in the cut slot to split it fully. It's quite tough.

To bleed the cooling system, identify ALL your bleed points. Fill the reservoir and start the motor, soon as the lowest bleed point is only spitting water, shut it (engine still running), then move one to the next lowest, and so forth - usually the last one of three or so bleeders is the heater hose point as pictured. It can take a few minutes of running to stop spitting air intermittently. Make sure all the while, your coolant level does not fall below the minimum in the reservoir - it's OK to add with the motor running.

When the top radiator hose is fully warm (thermostat open, hose too hot to hold), check the reservoir level is a smidge above max, and quickly tighten down the cap. You should be good to go now. Don't be surprised if between starting the bleed and tightening the cap you add anything up to a couple of litres.

Tadpole

Thanks again addo.. Looking at my hose and elbow, I doubt I'll be able to get away without getting new ones. Hopefully I can find a supplier/wrecker in the next couple of days.
    If anyone knows of a C5 wrecking in Melbourne, I'm all ears..

Cheers

I'd try David Cavanagh at French Connection - you'll find details here.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

THanks guys.. Tried French connection, but they said they don't carry any hoses.
    Anyway, the dealer i had ordered through rang me today and said it arrived!! (after telling me it's a 3 week back order)..I wanted to go today and get the refund, but the part luckily had arrived. Slipped it on and everything is good now.
    Thanks again very much for all your help!!!
    Cheers

Thread Information