Citroen Xsara - Advice on Keys
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen Xsara - Advice on Keys

Hi everyone, have been looking at the forum for a while but just joined recently.

I purchased a 2003 Xsara in the last week privately.

I asked the owner about the keys and he said he only had one set (as he also purchased second hand).

So I went hunting on e-bay and there are plenty of second hand keys available in the UK. I then did some further research and found many people saying the key could only be programmed once and that itís a waste of money buying second hand keys and trying to re-program.

Iíve spoken to a dealer and also to Paradise Garage to find prices.

For a key with central locking buttons Iím looking at close to $400 and without buttons around half that price.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on alternatives I might have to get a second key for the vehicle.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance, Bill

Many of the English locksmiths can cut you a key blade from a good photo.

Transponders cannot be reassigned in the later Xsaras like you have, but it might be cheaper to order one from overseas. Always worth checking. To have one cut to match yours by a CitroŽn dealer you need to provide proof of identity and registration details. A new key usually needs coding in to the car by someone with diagnostic gear unless it's a non-remote key "cloned" by a locksmith from your sample.

As Addo says, you can get a key blade cut from some good pictures showing the X profiles in two planes. You then need to have the correct type of transponder chip in the key so it can be programmed into the BSI computer along with the existing key. The BSI also has a security code made up of 4 alphanumeric characters that will need to be entered on the Lexia or Diagbox system before you can reload all the keys into the system. It can be accessed from the PSA database by a dealer entering the VIN.

It is reputed that the car will learn any remote of the right type when you follow the correct learning sequence. I have never managed to do this though. Some of the Xsara BSI computers have dead remote radio receivers so the remote central locking function will not work on any remote controls. I bought a certified working Xsara series 2 remote control from the UK for a Xsara in my family and we could not get it to work at all. I will see if it can still be found.

Cheers,

Ken W

Tadpole

Thanks to you both for the response. I've sent an e-mail through to a parts supplier in the UK yesterday and rec'd an answer this morning. Interestingly the remote key can be sourced for about half the price, the key (without buttons) is about the same price I can purchase it here. From what he's said the key comes cut to the original pattern from France however they need to be programmed here.

Tadpole

I lost the keys to my 2010 C4 Picasso in the snow and the McCarrolls Citroen (now Renault) want $430/- for a replacement remote. Did you have any luck sourcing an alternative to get new keys and programming for your Xsara?

Deen

Thread Information