Ds21 - leak from brake calliper
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 Ds21 - leak from brake calliper

I have been trying for a long time to find the source of a LHM leak from near the RH calliper. It appears from the inside of a section of the driveshaft housing just near where the calliper itself is bolted on (with the 2 large bolts) At first I thought it was coming from the joint, which seemed unlikely as there should not be any fluid in that area. Now I see that it is coming from above the joint on the inside facing the disc. I cannot see into this area as the disc is in the way. There is no sign of any fluid leaking from above the calliper and the cylinders are certainly not leaking from the seals. The fluid leaks even when the car has been unused for some time.

So I am mystified - is it possible that there is a crack somewhere in the calliper body? Has anyone come across this problem before?
    All ideas welcome.

Don

Advertisement
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

start it up and get someone to pump the brakes, put it in high perhaps? might be a pipe seal gone? Or if bad you'll need to whip it out and full investigation I would guess. Maybe coming off the pump, clean it all up, get rid of crud and grease and run your fingers around seals to see if weeping?

I sourced a similar leak to the pump which is directly above the caliper. Whilst running look closely for any weeping around the pipe going into the pump as well as from behind the seal around the pump spindle

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

rotating union on the power steering rack ............... Probably only weeps when your turning the steering wheel

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I second the power steering rotating union! -------A source of constant trouble!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information