Traction door rubbers
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Traction door rubbers

Hi, I'm struggling to fit new door rubbers to my traction doors. Do they slide in using some sort of lubricant or are they pushed in with some sort of tool. I'm sure that someone has been there and done that. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Hank

Advertisement

I presume you mean the long dust sealing rubbers. I think I cleaned the grooves out completely , then some rubber grease and slide them in , with judicious poking with a blade occasionally. The biggest problem I had was that the the top curved corners tended to bend over rather than 'seal' . Also harder to shut the door for a while!
    PS as a last resort depending on the quality / thickness of the new rubbers you may have to enagage in some judicious easing of the groove.
    Last edited by Trading Estate; 25th August 2015 at 05:58 PM.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

as a varied suggestion maybe soak in very soapy ( laundry flake type) hot water ( rubbers that is!) before trying to fit?

Or talc?

Thanks guys,
    Slide it would not even with lubricant. The solution is elbow grease and patience. Took about one hour per door which is not too bad. Found that if I used two tools it went reasonably easy. One to push the rubber down and the other to push it into the groove. When I pushed it down, the position of the rubber needs to be almost 90 degrees to the door and then when I pushed it in, it changed the angle to where it needs to be. So job done. Thanks again.

Thread Information