Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!

1000+ Posts

Default Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!

Well I may be mad, but tomorrow I pick up my new 17-year old Xantia! In Adelaide!

The lovely lady owner is coming to pick us up from our motel at 8:30. Once the paper work is done, I'll be the proud owner of a red 1998 Series II Activa .

We plan to drive home from Adelaide to Armidale via Canberra. Suggestions as to things we could do and see along the way will be considered (although most will probably be rejected ). Lake Mungo is out, partly due to time constraints (& it might rain, which tends to lead to automatic road closures).

I am surprised there was not more interest (the car was listed on Gumtree last month), although I did have to outbid Malcolm (?) from Queensland. However the seller is heading overseas and was in a hurry to get her money. The main fault seems to be heater (which will be a problem in Armidale ) but current owner has replaced timing belt & water pump, and ten spheres!!!

So wish me luck - tomorrow we plan to head to the Riverland. OK, not terribly ambitious, but we don't to suffer burn-out on the first day .

Cheers

Alec

Advertisement
    okalford, CXVingtCinq and lozenge like this.

Break a strut!

Is that shop still in Adelaide with all the hellaciously hot chili sauces?
    frog likes this.

1000+ Posts

Not sure red hot chili sauces would be something I'd be looking for at the start of a long road trip...
    okalford and frog like this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Nah, just smear a little of Dave's Insanity on the fuel pump handles as you're putting them away...

Chile Mojo

All such road trips are a good idea.

Go well.

Roger
    okalford, CarNut and FIVEDOOR like this.

JBN

If you like old aircraft, you could plan your route through Temora and have a look at their collection of restored WW2 military aircraft.

It also forces you along some more exciting roads (for the Activa) than sticking to the main, boring roads. I like the run along the Murray from Ouyen.

John
    JohnW and CarNut like this.

Just a little jealous, but I would have trouble getting past the Barossa Valley on the first day.!

Some more enjoyable roads up through there and on to Mildura but not much then until you get over towards Wagga Wagga and Canberra. The road from Canberra to Parkes up through Yass, Boorowa and Cowra is a pleasant drive with not too much traffic last time I went down that way. A great way to get used to the new vehicle. I'm sure you'll have a ball.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Split the drive in two and stay in Mildura. You will not eat better than at Stefano's Cellar. A good place to celebrate the purchase
    JohnW and CXVingtCinq like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Thanks Greg - we are planning to stay in Mildura.

John - a great idea - have heard of that collection! But may be too far off our route.

Unfortunately not enough time, and grandsons to visit (one near Yass though), so won't be able to do things like Great Ocean Road etc.

Car is running nicely - turns out it belonged to Erikbm's daughter, so has been well cared for in the last few years.Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-uploadfromtaptalk1440049319892.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    okalford and CXVingtCinq like this.

And go for a cruise on the Murray in the Rothbury paddle steamer while in Mildura

The car sure looks good in that photo Alec. Well done.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

1000+ Posts

Don't do the boring inland more than necessary. Get back to New England via Ellerston on the Scone to Nundle Road. Well formed gravel the last time I went that way, just the thing for a Xantia, and scenic.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It might pay to check the front suspension isn't about to "fall through the bonnet" before you head down gravel roads ....

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I will check, but at least it's Series II - even if the rubber fails, the newer design saves the bonnet. Seen it in action on a late Series I.

Alec

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

If you have a second car, it would be worth your while to take the Xantia off the road and have those top rubbers reconditioned. The place that does it is in Lithuania - I am going to have the XM ones done once I have the CX (Only 4 days to go ). Let me know if you want the link to the place

1000+ Posts

Yes please - in fact I am rather planning to take it off the road for a while when the SA rego runs out in a month . Heater is disconnected, and air-con only goes through the motions without actually cooling anything. Also it looks like the anti-roll rams are leaking (no surprise there I suppose...), and I want to replace the brake valve boot (hope I'm not too late - there's already a whiff of LHM in the cabin).

In the meantime, we're on a trip and here are some pictures - enjoy! First three are at Swan Reach, one from Loxton and the rest from Mildura.

Greg we looked at Stefano's but couldn't come at $95/head. You would need to plan ahead to enjoy it I think - hot chips at 4 pm was not suitable preparation for a 4-course dinner . Anyway, very impressed with the range of eateries in Mildura - we finished up enjoying a Thai restaurant, but could have happily eaten at 3 or 4 others.

Ken, we missed the paddle-steamer, but got some photos of the "Mundoo".

Cheers

Alec

Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1106.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1113a.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1119.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1132.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1164a.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1186.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1233.jpgRoad trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1271.jpg
    okalford, mnm and GreenBlood like this.

Did you end up at the Grand Hotel, was it empty, cold and bare?

1000+ Posts

Yes, we are in the Grand - seems OK. Certainly not cold, but today would have been the warmest we have experienced since early May, so perhaps it's all relative. Will report on the breakfast tomorrow .
    okalford likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Great. Just when I thought all was well with the world, someone starts a blog about the car my daughter just sold and takes it on an epic trip! Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves. In one way I am glad it sold, but in another I was kind of hoping she wouldn't be able to sell it and I would get to drive it myself. BTW, you still have her special water bottle which she is inordinately fond of. Are you able to return it sometime, or do I need to make a road trip north to retrieve it? PO Box 900, Lobethal 5241.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Nah, just smear a little of Dave's Insanity on the fuel pump handles as you're putting them away...

Chile Mojo
    Now that's just mean. I'm going to have to try that.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    Great. Just when I thought all was well with the world, someone starts a blog about the car my daughter just sold and takes it on an epic trip! Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves. In one way I am glad it sold, but in another I was kind of hoping she wouldn't be able to sell it and I would get to drive it myself. BTW, you still have her special water bottle which she is inordinately fond of. Are you able to return it sometime, or do I need to make a road trip north to retrieve it? PO Box 900, Lobethal 5241.
    Hi Erik

Sorry we shot off without saying goodbye - nice to meet you anyway! I can see why you would have liked to keep the car, but you should have offered your daughter more money . If you do come for a trip to NSW, you are very welcome to come and stay with us in Armidale.

Yes the waterbottle rolled out from under a seat some hours into the trip. We also found a CD in the CD player (homemade and scratched )! Happy to mail them back.

A photo from the Hay Plain today:

Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1282.jpg

Cheers

Alec
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Mildura to Murrumbateman today. Checked oil, water & LHM this morning - no problem. Very pleased - given the car is 17 years /170,000 km old! Still has standard/original exhaust system, which is quiet but may be a bit restrictive (cat may be partially blocked). While the car goes well, I believe it can be better...

Removed very blocked-up pollen filter and got a bit more air in the cabin today .
    Road trip - or I hope this is a good idea!-img_1300.jpg

Erik, if you get an XM, they have a pollen filter too - pretty sure it'll be under the LHS scuttle, same as the 605.

A few issues are showing up that you wouldn't really notice on short trips - car needs wheel alignment and wheel balance, and I'd say the suspension is stuck in hard mode - really quite stiff and jiggly. On the other hand, we did get into some corners between Junee and Gundagai, and it really did stay absolutely level, taking the 75 kph corners at 100 (I know, not very adventurous, but I do have a passenger/co-driver, and I haven't even checked the tyre pressures yet)!

Expecting to be doing regular trips from Armidale to Port Macquarie next year - the Oxley Highway going down the mountain is very windy. This should be the car for the job - with or without the camping trailer. Did the trip in the 605 last month - the old girl actually takes the corners very well, but the combination of wide seats with little side support and somewhat more body-roll than the Xantia made for a grumpy passenger .

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Alec, we did wonder about the hard mode too, but after buying all the spheres, Lydia didn't want to spend any more money. You know more about them than we do, but we thought about the electrical bypass gizmo on eBay uk for about 40 pounds that supposedly solved the problem.

It also seemed to be thirstier than I thought it should be, but most of our driving here is up and down the hill to Adelaide. Cornering in it is a delight. It just feels like it is on rails. The CT engine is a real delight. It pulls strongly right through the rev range. I don't know why we didn't see it in more PSA cars.

regards, Erik

JBN

I would suggest instead of the electrical bypass gizmo" that they sell on eBay, you get the diodes from Jaycar and solder them onto the suspension CPU yourself. The printed circuit board is the same for Xantia Hydractive, XM and Activa. If you are interested, I have photos and information that I can either post onto AF or PM you. It is an easy job (for a change) on a Xantia.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information