Decapotable rear wheels
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Decapotable rear wheels

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default Decapotable rear wheels

    Hi All,
    Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious here, but how do you change a rear wheel on a DS decapotable, I have got the wheel off with a struggle, but I can't get the space to get one back on. I've had the suspension in all settings to try and get more clearance. I've also had the height lever in high and jacked up the body to get the rear arm to hang down. All to no avail, am I missing something obvious??

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Ed,

    Not many of these in Aus although I know of 2 around here but owners probably not regular visitors to AF. Have you tried deflating the tyre to get a bit more flex and therefore room and then if you can get it on to the hub, you can pump it up again. Maybe Steely From Maleny could help.

    Cheers, Ken W

  3. #3
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    I was wondering, if it's a car with 155 rear, 165 fronts, whether he's trying to fit the fatter tyre on there.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    599

    Default

    when the car is jacked up, the suspension settings have no influence on the wheel position when there is little hydraulic pressure

    i would suggest jacking the whole of the rear of the car up and with pressure off the rear axle will drop down. if yopu got it off it should go back on. it can be hard to line the wheel with the studs when there is little clearance.

  5. #5
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petermelb View Post
    when the car is jacked up, the suspension settings have no influence on the wheel position when there is little hydraulic pressure

    i would suggest jacking the whole of the rear of the car up and with pressure off the rear axle will drop down. if yopu got it off it should go back on. it can be hard to line the wheel with the studs when there is little clearance.
    This probably wont work as you would need to lift the entire car up onto jacks (which is unsafe). The anti-rollbar will lift the wheel up into the wheelarch otherwise.

    The problem is I doubt there is anyone here that owns a Chapron. Greg Long does, he could be worth sending an email too (he should be still on the DS lists). Actually you will get an answer on the DS lists as Andre Pole reads them.

    I would suggest placing the car on "HIGH". This will force the suspension fully down, then jack the side of the car up you wish to remove the wheel from --leaving the car on high--. If you find access tight, deflate the tire (it may have a wider tire on it that won't fit in without being deflated).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  6. #6
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,159

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

    I would suggest placing the car on "HIGH". This will force the suspension fully down, then jack the side of the car up you wish to remove the wheel from --leaving the car on high--. If you find access tight, deflate the tire (it may have a wider tire on it that won't fit in without being deflated).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Sounds right Shane. . .

    This from Sotheby's
    Cabriolets also have two jacking points along the side, as the rear fender does not remove like on the sedan, so the car must be lifted higher to change the wheel.

    So the Cabriolet has two jacking points on each side to facilitate removal of the rear wheel.

    1966 Citroën DS21 Decapotable by Henri Chapron | Arizona 2013 | RM Sotheby's

    Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Hi All,
    It's the same tyre/ wheel that was on that I'm putting back so no change there. I've also tried deflating the wheel which didn't really help. Very strange that it is so difficult.
    Can't imagine doing it in the dark in the rain on the side of a road. Car can be driven on 3 wheels though.....

    Cheers,
    Ed

  8. #8
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Hi All,
    It's the same tyre/ wheel that was on that I'm putting back so no change there. I've also tried deflating the wheel which didn't really help. Very strange that it is so difficult.
    Can't imagine doing it in the dark in the rain on the side of a road. Car can be driven on 3 wheels though.....

    Cheers,
    Ed
    Is the car going all the way upto "high" ? Is the back rock hard if you place the car on "high". I'm wondering if your not 1/2" short of it's highest setting with the lever set to high

    It is possible the weight of the wheel was allowing the rollbar to twist slightly lower so the wheel would come off, but without the weight of the wheel there it's not sitting slightly higher.

    If it has a towbar, pickup the entire back of the car from the ground with it. this should cause the suspension to full drop as well.

    seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Castlemaine Area
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Hi All,
    Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious here, but how do you change a rear wheel on a DS decapotable, I have got the wheel off with a struggle, but I can't get the space to get one back on. I've had the suspension in all settings to try and get more clearance. I've also had the height lever in high and jacked up the body to get the rear arm to hang down. All to no avail, am I missing something obvious??

    Cheers,
    Ed
    It's a few years ago that Janet and I owned the Cabriolet that Steeley now owns but if memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, a small jack was part of the tool kit. Could this be right ?

    John

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    I have had some trouble getting fat tyres on the back of a BX because of low guard height. I found I needed to put the tyre under the rear suspension dish side up, then lift the outside of the wheel up almost keeping the dish part in contact with the hub, and the top of the tyre would just squeak in under the guard.

    If that is not enough, try temporarily removing the high bump stop rubber so the training arm can go down a bit more when on high position rather than just compressing the bump rubber.
    Last edited by Ken W; 18th August 2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: another thought

  11. #11
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    It's a few years ago that Janet and I owned the Cabriolet that Steeley now owns but if memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, a small jack was part of the tool kit. Could this be right ?

    John
    You owned a Chapron and sold it Wow ...... Is that the car Steely had half finished at the Maleny Cit-in many years ago ?

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  12. #12
    Member onlyfrogcars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Near Heathrow, LONDON
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Has it been rebuilt at the back?
    It was tight at the best of times, but even a few mm lost here and there in a rebuild can seriously affect clearance. It's an area that is often neglected in a rebuild.
    Darrin has one in the workshop at the moment with a 165 tyre on, that was a very tight squeeze due to the same reasons.

    Like Shane said, having the suspension on high is the way to create the most clearance.
    Having the bottom of the wheel tucked slightly under the car to start with may help.

    K

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Hi,
    I believe the car has had a new chassis at some stage after a fire. So it only has one jacking point on each side instead of the usual two for a decapotable.
    I'll have another go this evening and hopefully get it back on 4 wheels!

    Thanks for all the suggestions,

    Ed

  14. #14
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,317

    Default

    I guess the next step is remove the top bump stop to allow the arm to drop slightly further ............... Urgh, what fun.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Castlemaine Area
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You owned a Chapron and sold it Wow ...... Is that the car Steely had half finished at the Maleny Cit-in many years ago ?

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'm quite sure there was something extra with the toolkit. It was and is a very good car. It was the choice of keep the car or getting enough money to buy the house next to our shop. I sat in it the other Sunday and didn't want to get out.

    John

    PS - - it's coming back to me. I think the prop which is located like any D when changing a wheel was adjustable - - could that be right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Decapotable rear wheels-cabriolet-gt-aust-bight-nullabor-360.jpg   Decapotable rear wheels-cabriolet-janet-maleny-3-w.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 18th August 2015 at 06:24 PM.
    frog likes this.

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! Balki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheffield/Tasmania
    Posts
    616

    Default

    if it doesnt have a towbar then just lift it by the lashing loop at the rear of the boot floor, that should make the rear suspention drop to its maximum for sure

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! deesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    563

    Default

    I recently also struggled with the rear wheel removal on my SM. It was all but impossible until I read the owners manual that reminded me of the lever in the boot that has to be latched into a high position that somehow gives that little extra clearance. Have a look in the boot to see if there is a similar lever. You are right about not wanting to have to change a wheel on the side of the road at night. The job left me exhausted, filthy and bad tempered.
    cheers Tony

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! Boyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney South
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Well that's it for me. I don't think I want a cabriolet any more.

    Far too hard to change a tyre!
    frog, UFO and addo like this.
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ____________________________

    Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

    1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

    2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]



  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Ok, problem resolved. The wheel on the back was a 185, the spare was a 180. Put the car in high position and start it up. The rear hub drops fully and thhe 180 wheel pops on with a bit of gentle persuasion.
    How the previous owner got the 185s on is beyond me!! It's a 1966 DS21 so should have 165s on the back I think. They will fit on and off easily I would imagine!

    Thanks for all the suggestions,

    Cheers,

    Ed

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Decapotable rear wheels-image.jpg
    This was the old rear cylinder piston, about 1/3 of the cup had snapped off. So that got changed as well as a new boot

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    worth every drop of perspiration! Yes 165s would be the go, can you check up on the jacking points to see if you should have another? Go the mod if not there and should be? I'm racing towards my 1000 posts!
    addo likes this.

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria,australia
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Ok, problem resolved. The wheel on the back was a 185, the spare was a 180. Put the car in high position and start it up. The rear hub drops fully and thhe 180 wheel pops on with a bit of gentle persuasion.
    How the previous owner got the 185s on is beyond me!! It's a 1966 DS21 so should have 165s on the back I think. They will fit on and off easily I would imagine!

    Thanks for all the suggestions,

    Cheers,

    Ed
    love toi see a photo of said cabriolet.....please share
    Rev. Dogboy


    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Decapotable rear wheels-image.jpgDecapotable rear wheels-image.jpgDecapotable rear wheels-image.jpg
    "Action"shots from the DS60 bash in Paris in May
    GreenBlood, Boyracer, UFO and 4 others like this.

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts daffyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    I'm quite sure there was something extra with the toolkit. It was and is a very good car. It was the choice of keep the car or getting enough money to buy the house next to our shop. I sat in it the other Sunday and didn't want to get out.

    John

    PS - - it's coming back to me. I think the prop which is located like any D when changing a wheel was adjustable - - could that be right.
    Yes. Chapron cars had a special jack.

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Castlemaine Area
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	73333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	73334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	73335
    "Action"shots from the DS60 bash in Paris in May
    Looks to be a nice car and it is nice to see it being used. Being right hand drive makes it easy and - - fun.

    All the best, John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •